IRMAV cooldown - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-16-2019, 08:35 AM   #1
chrisofsweden

Default IRMAV cooldown

The IRMAV cooldown seems wonky in the AV8B no? Seems like alot of times, they refuse to become ready, after doing the procedure according to the manual, In Air, STRS Page, select IRMAV, wait 3 minutes.

I heard or read someone that said after you've done this, to not fiddle with anything, not even ie selecting the DMT or TGP on the right MFD...

Bug no?
chrisofsweden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:47 AM   #2
Kappa

The problem is that you have to stay in STRS page with IRMAV selected to make it cooldown. If you change the MPCD page or you deselect IRMAV the cooldown process will stop and you'll need to start again from the beginning.

36° Stormo Virtuale - Italian Virtual Flight Community
www.36stormovirtuale.net
Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:57 AM   #3
chrisofsweden

But I never changed the Page display. STRS was on left MFD and IRMAV boxed. Then I started target aquisition (far out) with the TGP brought up on the right MFD. IRMAV's never came online. So I turned away, unboxed IRMAV, then reboxed it, touched nothing but flight stick input for 3 minutes then it worked.
chrisofsweden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:04 AM   #4
Kappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisofsweden View Post
But I never changed the Page display. STRS was on left MFD and IRMAV boxed. Then I started target aquisition (far out) with the TGP brought up on the right MFD. IRMAV's never came online. So I turned away, unboxed IRMAV, then reboxed it, touched nothing but flight stick input for 3 minutes then it worked.
Never had this problem, I'm sorry.

Anyway,, I have doubts that it is necessary to keep the STRS pages and the selected IRMV to finish cooling. It seems a bit tricky...

www.36stormovirtuale.net
Old 09-16-2019, 09:43 AM   #5
Ramsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post
I have doubts that it is necessary to keep the STRS pages and the selected IRMV to finish cooling. It seems a bit tricky...
The IRMV has about 60 minutes worth of cooling, being able to turn off the cooling extends the time that the IRMV can be used after it's initial 3 minute power up / cooling.

Last edited by Ramsay; 09-16-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:51 AM   #6
Kappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsay View Post
The IRMV has about 60 minutes worth of cooling, being able to turning off the cooling extends the time that the IRMV can be used after it's initial 3 minute power up / cooling.
So, let me see if I understand.

If I cool down a MAV than I must use it in the next 60 minutes because after that it will not be able to cooldown anymore?
Is this feature modeled in DCS AV-8??

www.36stormovirtuale.net
Old 09-16-2019, 10:55 AM   #7
Ramsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post
If I cool down a MAV than I must use it in the next 60 minutes because after that it will not be able to cooldown anymore?
AFAIK, IRL yes (unless you power off/deselect the IRMV's).
Quote:
Is this feature modelled in DCS AV-8??
Not AFAIK, though I've never tried to do it deliberately.

Last edited by Ramsay; 09-16-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:34 AM   #8
Ramsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisofsweden View Post
The IRMAV cooldown seems wonky in the AV8B no? Seems like alot of times, they refuse to become ready, after doing the procedure according to the manual, In Air, STRS Page, select IRMAV, wait 3 minutes.

Bug no?
AFAIK the fault appears after rearming, as the "ready" state of the previous Maverick is retained, unless the Maverick is deselected and then re-selected on the stores page.

In the A-10C you'd re-load the DSMS stores config data after rearming to avoid such issues.

I can't say if a AV-8B would automatically detect the status of a rearmed Maverick but the behaviour may be intended/realistic.

If you are having the issue with a fresh load out after a cold start, please post a track.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:50 AM   #9
Harlikwin
Veteran

My experience is that you have to keep the stores page up with it selected on the left MPCD, and you can do whatever you want on the right. But for the love of god, don't change the stores page. That being said, I've had it wonk out on me doing that too a few times.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:29 AM   #10
KTFBGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
My experience is that you have to keep the stores page up with it selected on the left MPCD, and you can do whatever you want on the right. But for the love of god, don't change the stores page. That being said, I've had it wonk out on me doing that too a few times.
Same. I was wondering if there is any correlation between the rest of the configuration and if it decides not to work, even with the stores page left on. I have not been able to figure out what causes it when the stores page is left up.

It does seem to be more reliable since the last update though.
KTFBGB is offline   Reply With Quote