Combined Arms SAM rework

RocketmanAL

So yesterday I purchased the Combined Arms after being interested in it for quite a while. I've always liked RTS and wanted to play as a SAM guy to see how good they are since the SAM AI is pretty poor. I was pretty disappointed with how the SAMs were handled, even after reading all the issues with CA.

So I would like to see a reworked long range SAM system. The short range stuff like SA-13, SA-15 is fine for right now. It's mainly the systems with separate radars and multiple launchers. Right now you have very limited control which is basically turn on/off, shoot/hold, and range to engage. No type of target selection, tactics to defeat HARMs, or command and control between units.

So what I'd like to see is something replicating the command and control networks that these systems operate with in the real world. The command vehicle is already in game, and it's really the only vehicle that the player needs access to. Add the option to play the commander of a single battery. Either use the default F10 map or have a GUI replicating a radar screen the commander would actually see. Allow the commander to active the radar, assign targets either by priority or to individual launchers, initiate launch, etc. Basically give him much better options for efficiency and to survive SEAD attacks.

If you want to take it a level higher, you can assign a sector commander. He has access to a longer range acquisition radar and multiple batteries. This sector commander will assign targets to batteries for targeting. The player will be able to control multiple units, who will engage according to his parameters.

Something like this would be very fun for multiplayer I think. Now a true OPFOR can operate SAM units like they would in the field. You can have an entire battlefield of players covering many different areas.

Just a quick note, the SA-15 Can lock on to and shot down Harm Missiles

That's good to know, I hadn't got that far in testing.

That's exactly the kind of thing that needs to be an option to the player. Assign a few SA-15's to an SA-17 battery to protect it from HARMs and not worry about aircraft.

You can do that now, but it requires to much micro management.

Well, if you just place a SA-15, and an enemy plane who will fire a Harm at it, it should detect it automatically and fire at it

Well like I said the short range SAMs that are self contained are solid. But you are dependent on the AI for doing the right thing.

What if you have two 15s? Will they both try to engage the same missile and waste their missiles on it? What if you have an attack with multiple HARMs, which 15 will engage which missiles?

This module could be such much more solid with a few improvements is my point.

Hmmm, I'm not sure a "Radar screen to designate targets" will do justice to a typical SAM system... :music_whistling:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Hmmm, I'm not sure a "Radar screen to designate targets" will do justice to a typical SAM system... :music_whistling:

Oh I agree, a real life SAM system will require at least 4-5 people who are each responsible for a specific component. If one messes up the whole system will fail.

In the interest of simplicity I'm trying to envision a way for a single player to operate one of these multi component systems. The commander is the one person who directs the actions of the crew. We would have a simulated crew taking care of the system operations.

The radar screen gui is a relatively easy way to represent his station beyond just the f10 map. Otherwise they will have to model the interior and stations, which I don't see them doing for a module that is relatively unpopular.

Oh, I wouldn't say CA is unpopular. The JTAC and RTS components are quite good and there are quite a few people regularly having fun with it.

I agree the SAM systems are pretty simplistic.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

The long range SAMs work as part of the tactical commander interface, it has a history dating back to early DCS: A-10C Beta.

All the nice additions with jumping into vehicles and do more than the "binoculars" is already a great addition.

CA 1.5 added the ability to operate single SAM systems.

Let's see what they have in mind, after the DCS World 2.5 merge.

Shagrat

• 3 weeks later...

+1 for your idea.

I would also like so see some improvements to the existing SAM Units. I even don't know, if there are separate SAM control types simulated, such as SARH and command guided ... for example.

A few other western types, such as the Hercules, would also be nice.

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]