[Tool] Create description.lua from EDM files

uboats

Devrim / all - you Generate a model livery file by loading the edm of the model you want, then Ctrl + Shift + Alt + G and save it to where ever you want. Open with ++ as usual.

...and finally!!! Love you Strut! Thanks!!! :pilotfly:

...By the way, feel free to join a Discord group for livery creators, specifically. Great place to share screenshots, info, and generally help each other out. Link to Discord group: https://discord.gg/Ryt6A3
Thank you. I will. :)

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

So I have gotten an .edm in, and am able to open it in the modelviewer. However, even though I created folders so I have a pathway of Bazar/World/textures/P-51D.zip, I still get the missing textures. And apparently this “mount textures” tool is broken, because it doesn't do squat. Apparently some textures are necessary for it to export a description.lua, so I can't do anything until then. Any idea where I should put the P-51D.zip where MV2 will see it?

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So I have gotten an .edm in, and am able to open it in the modelviewer. However, even though I created folders so I have a pathway of Bazar/World/textures/P-51D.zip, I still get the missing textures. And apparently this “mount textures” tool is broken, because it doesn't do squat. Apparently some textures are necessary for it to export a description.lua, so I can't do anything until then. Any idea where I should put the P-51D.zip where MV2 will see it?

The livery file generator should be creating the description.lua based on the textures called from within the 3D model when being exported to .EDM format. I think the generator is for custom models and not ones already based in DCS. That would require just normal livery skinning.

The livery file generator should be creating the description.lua based on the textures called from within the 3D model when being exported to .EDM format. I think the generator is for custom models and not ones already based in DCS. That would require just normal livery skinning.
My guess is that without knowing where the P-51.zip is, it doesn't know what to put between the quotes in the .lua.

Any idea on where the .zip textures should go?

(Oops, jumped the gun and read your last sentence after I posted. But this means it doesn't work for ED's models?)

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

False.

The Description.lua Generator can be used to generate an LUA for Any model, whether they are part of DCS or addons/mods.

As the generator exports every material and texture line that is part of the model, hidden or not, where as the luas for the liveries often do not, making it a guessing game to modify some textures that arent normally changed.

The exporter will populate the texture lines with the default textures that load when the model is loaded.

Please do not offer false opinions and conclusions to the commnity.

Furthermore, Your reply had nothing to do with the post that you quoted, and you are not anywhere near qualified to offer any type of advice.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

You have to mount the vfs folders in tue autoexec.lua

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

• 3 weeks later...
You have to mount the vfs folders in tue autoexec.lua

I finally got back to my laptop and this lua does not exist. You didn't even say what you mean by mount.

I need help getting any textures to mount on the Mustang. The entire thing is a missing texture. If this model viewer will not work, I can't take this new feature (and thus MV2) seriously. If you can help me, Skate, PLEASE increase your word count, and not be as vague in your answers.

At this point, I'm open to any potential help. If I can't use the ModelViewer, it makes livery creation remotely from my gaming rig more difficult and cumbersome.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I finally got back to my laptop and this lua does not exist. You didn't even say what you mean by mount.

I need help getting any textures to mount on the Mustang. The entire thing is a missing texture. If this model viewer will not work, I can't take this new feature (and thus MV2) seriously. If you can help me, Skate, PLEASE increase your word count, and not be as vague in your answers.

At this point, I'm open to any potential help. If I can't use the ModelViewer, it makes livery creation remotely from my gaming rig more difficult and cumbersome.

autoexec.lua does exist,

add vfs mounts, IE:

mount_vfs_texture_path  ("../../../../Eagle Dynamics/DCS.Aircraft/Super Hornets/Textures/Common_F-18E")
mount_vfs_texture_path  ("../../../../Eagle Dynamics/DCS.Aircraft/Super Hornets/Textures/Common_F-18F")
mount_vfs_texture_path  ("../../../../Eagle Dynamics/DCS.Aircraft/Super Hornets/Textures/Common_F-18G")
mount_vfs_texture_path  ("../../../../Eagle Dynamics/DCS.Aircraft/Super Hornets/Textures/Common_F-18EFG")
mount_vfs_texture_path  ("../../../../Eagle Dynamics/DCS.Aircraft/Super Hornets/Textures/Common_Pilots")
mount_vfs_texture_path  ("../../../../Eagle Dynamics/DCS.Aircraft/Super Hornets/Textures/Common_Stores")

Then mount the liveries, IE:

mount_vfs_liveries_path ("../../../../Eagle Dynamics/DCS.Aircraft/Super Hornets/Liveries/")

• 1 month later...
autoexec.lua does exist,

add vfs mounts, IE:

mount_vfs_texture_path  ("../../../../Eagle Dynamics/DCS.Aircraft/Super Hornets/Textures/Common_F-18E")
mount_vfs_texture_path  ("../../../../Eagle Dynamics/DCS.Aircraft/Super Hornets/Textures/Common_F-18F")
mount_vfs_texture_path  ("../../../../Eagle Dynamics/DCS.Aircraft/Super Hornets/Textures/Common_F-18G")
mount_vfs_texture_path  ("../../../../Eagle Dynamics/DCS.Aircraft/Super Hornets/Textures/Common_F-18EFG")
mount_vfs_texture_path  ("../../../../Eagle Dynamics/DCS.Aircraft/Super Hornets/Textures/Common_Pilots")
mount_vfs_texture_path  ("../../../../Eagle Dynamics/DCS.Aircraft/Super Hornets/Textures/Common_Stores")

Then mount the liveries, IE:

mount_vfs_liveries_path ("../../../../Eagle Dynamics/DCS.Aircraft/Super Hornets/Liveries/")

So, I've used the autoexec in the Config folder.

My lines are:

mount_vfs_liveries_path ("C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Bazar\Liveries\P-51D")
mount_vfs_texture_path ("C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\CoreMods\WWII Units\P-51D\Textures\P-51D")

However, it still does not work. Textures do not load upon loading the model, and there are no options available in the Liveries tool. Same goes for the Spitfire. Are WWII aircraft different, not requiring "mount_vfs_..."? I get the missing texture on my aircraft. This is incredibly aggravating, and I'd like a solution

Edited by Magic Zach

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
:baby:Please make an EDM extractor for the new DCS version:baby:

MV can export the lua now

and edm extractor is against the EULA, so ....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

• 3 weeks later...
MV can export the lua now

and edm extractor is against the EULA, so ....

я не понял,поясните пожалуйста,как можно сейчас это сделать,используя MV?

I do not understand, please explain how can this be done now?

autoexec.lua does exist

I add in C:\Program Files (x86)\edModelViewer2\Config\ModelViewer\autoexec.lua

mount_vfs_texture_path ("D:\GAMES\DCS World OpenBeta\CoreMods\WWII Units\P-51D\Textures\P-51D")

mount_vfs_liveries_path ("D:\GAMES\DCS World OpenBeta\Bazar\Liveries\P-51D")

P-51D.zip unpack folder D:\GAMES\DCS World OpenBeta\CoreMods\WWII Units\P-51D\Textures\P-51D

in ModelViewer2 I mount textures D:\GAMES\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\P-51D\Cockpit\Textures\P-51D-CPT-TEXTURES.zip

+ mount folder

C:\Users\huligan\Saved Games\DCS\Liveries\Cockpit_P-51D-30-NA\Cockpit_P-51D-clear\

with my p51d-cpt_glass_dif.dds texture

...and all works fine:thumbup:...but what to do next?

I have clear glass cocpit,

attachment.php?attachmentid=214880&stc=1&d=1564872077

now I saved description.lua (Ctrl + Shift + Alt + G) in

C:\Users\huligan\Saved Games\DCS\Liveries\Cockpit_P-51D-30-NA\Cockpit_P-51D-clear\

in game I chose my cockpit,but loaded default textures

and what are wrong?

I want to create my own cocpit

What should I do?

I need to replace only one file

p51d-cpt_glass_dif.dds

I left in description.lua only

livery =

{

{"pilot_P51_kneeboard",0,"mfd3",true};

{"p51d-mirror", 0 ,"mirrors",true};--mirrors texture replacement with runtime rendered one

{"p51d-cpt_glass_dm", DIFFUSE, "p51d-cpt_glass_dif", false};

{"p51d-gaugeglass", DIFFUSE, "p51d-cpt_glass_dif", false};

{"p51d-sightglass", DIFFUSE, "p51d-cpt_glass_dif", false};

}

but my cocpit no works :(

dcs2.thumb.jpg.5a829cb1c745ba8b3692e797e4f96f5a.jpg

Edited by huligan

win10 21H2 | i5-4670K 4.5GHz | 16Гб DDR3 | MSI GTX1080ti GAMING X 11G | РУС vkb Gladiator Pro+РУД vkb Gametrix ECS+Пендали BRD-MS1 | Pico4 VR | | https://vk.com/paraplan_mkp

I did the same with Spitfire and this false again

Created

C:\Users\huligan\Saved Games\DCS\Liveries\Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX\default\

in ModelViewer2 (add true path in autoexec.lua) saved description.lua in

C:\Users\huligan\Saved Games\DCS\Liveries\Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX\default\description.lua

put here modifed files

SpitfireIX_CPT_GLASS_DIFF.dds

SpitfireIX_CPT_GLASS_DIFF_FILTR.dds

and changed in description.lua

livery =

{

{"pilot_RAF_FP_Notepad",0,"mfd3",true};

{"mirror_SpitfireIX", 0 ,"mirrors",true}; --mirrors texture replacement with runtime rendered one

{"SpitfireIX_GLASS_inst", DIFFUSE, "spitfireix_cpt_glass_diff", false};

{"SpitfireIX_GLASS_PRIBORS", DIFFUSE, "spitfireix_cpt_glass_diff", false};

{"SpitfireIX_GLASS_PRIBORS", 0, "spitfireix_cpt_glass_diff_filtr", false};

{"SpitfireIX_GLASS_ARMOR", 0, "spitfireix_cpt_glass_diff_filtr", false};

}

SpitfireIX_CPT_GLASS_DIFF.dds no loaded :(

Edited by huligan

win10 21H2 | i5-4670K 4.5GHz | 16Гб DDR3 | MSI GTX1080ti GAMING X 11G | РУС vkb Gladiator Pro+РУД vkb Gametrix ECS+Пендали BRD-MS1 | Pico4 VR | | https://vk.com/paraplan_mkp

• 2 months later...

Hi uboat, I see its a 1.9v not 2.0:

AZvXRVXl.jpg

Btw. Is it work now? I cant use it as before,

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 3/10/2020 at 5:01 PM, Hardcard said:

Yes, ModelViewer2 can be made to generate a description.lua file for the loaded model.

Generate model livery file - Ctrl + Shift + Alt + G

Worked for me with the Su-25A cockpit model.

It CTD when i try this(((

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It seems to work for A-10CII & F-16. 

I haven't checked a lot more but huey was broken as well as all mods I tried.

Using current beta.

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

9 hours ago, joey45 said:

What aircraft 

Standalone (what version) or built in?

no, thats a ship mod. USS Fletcher Class Mariana Islands.  I want to add few variations for different states. replace us flag and so on.

Edited by UN9249

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

34 minutes ago, crazyeddie said:

That mod has an edm that is so old the latest ModelViewer does not recognise it, you will get that with older edm models sadly.  If you have both versions of the game try Alpha ModelViewer, I find that sometimes recognises an older edm, but not always. 

oh...i just need example of description.lua . the one i created manually doesnt work. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cant help you, that edm is too old to break down a description.lua from using the normal methods we all use (ModelVierwer), there is another very complicated way to do it but that might not even work if you did know how to do it and its extremely hit and miss anyway, not worth the HUGE extra effort usually. 

Go back to the Mod maker and ask him to do it for you, if he can, he has the original 3dmax or blender files I assume.  

• Like 1