Overly sensitive control inputs - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-29-2017, 05:29 PM   #1
Sylosis

Default Overly sensitive control inputs

Hi,

Haven't been on the forum for a while and haven't been in DCS for a while either.

So yesterday I got back into DCS. Decided to use the F-5 as it is a relatively simple aircraft, and though it isn't a new issue for me, it's the first time I decided to post about it. I've looked around the forum for an answer, but I haven't found anything exactly talking about this. So:

I have the issue that, and the issue is at its worst on the F-5, that my controls inputs are overly sensitive. I'm not talking about the axis controls, but about the hat switches mainly. I use a Thrustmaster T16000 (HOTAS and Rudder pedals) and when I want to trim the aircraft, or move the radar cursor, or similar kind of operations, I'm having a hard time. Even if I just try to push one of my hat switch just a tiny bit, I get big movements.

So for example, when I try to lock onto a radar signal, I just can't get my cursor onto it easily. I just keep going over and not being able to stop the cursor onto it.

Or, for example, if my plane is almost rightly trimmed but just require a tiny bit more, I just end up overshooting it, and the plane is now more "untrimmed" than it was.

I own other modules, for instance the Mirage and the A10, and the issue is much less present. Which makes me think it's not the joystick but the F-5 module itself. I have also tried another joystick and I had the same issue (though I must say it was another cheaper Thrustmaster joystick).

Any way I can adjust that input sensitivity? Some work around maybe? Anybody else having this issue?

Thanks a lot.
Sylosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:43 AM   #2
000rick000

Adjust your axis curves. I have a group of 6 guys and were able to.fly tight formation in the F5. Once you adjust your curves itel ease out that touchy movement.
000rick000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:43 PM   #3
Victory205

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
Adjust your axis curves. I have a group of 6 guys and were able to.fly tight formation in the F5. Once you adjust your curves itel ease out that touchy movement.

What are the settings on your curves?
Victory205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:08 PM   #4
BadHabit

He is not talking about the axis but for the trim.
Overall in DCS and in all its modules it is a thing, more sensitive than what you would expect. Not much that you can do really.

My YouTube channel

SPECS
-AMD FX8370 8 Core Processor 4.2 ghz
-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P
-GTX 1050 TI Windforce 4g
-16 GB RAM
-Saitek X 52
-FaceNOIRtrack - 3 point clip Red Led
BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:00 AM   #5
Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
He is not talking about the axis but for the trim.
Overall in DCS and in all its modules it is a thing, more sensitive than what you would expect. Not much that you can do really.

False. You can adjust the curves and the deadzone to the controls. I haven't really messed with it much but depending on your preferred feel, you can adjust it so that you can cause some travel in the stick without it actually moving the controls. This will give a more "spungy" feel and increase controllability to a point but you lose sensitivity (i.e. immediacy of action by the aircraft to one's commands). My recommendation is to adjust the deadzone a bit, then flex the curve to make a smooth shape. Unless someone has presets that they find work well for the F-5 that they are willing to share.
Thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:10 AM   #6
Tinkickef

He is not talking about axis commands like the stick movement, he is talking about sensitivity of his radar slew and trim hat switches.
The F5 is well known to be a trim hound. I don't use it much, but when I do, that trim switch is in constant motion in response to every little alteration of the flight parameters.

First thing I would check is that the controls are not bound in duplicate with other controllers.
System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.
Tinkickef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:46 AM   #7
smallberries

I agree the granularity of the push button trimming system is too coarse for fine adjustments, and ends up being a pita. Hopefully at some point ED can implement a finer controllability. Perhaps one with an accelerating scale if the button is held.
smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:54 PM   #8
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
Never heard or read the term 'trim hound'. As IRL you do need to constantly trim but that's nothing special.

Can't imagine to fly for more than a few seconds in an out-of-trim condition, neither IRL nor in any sim.
Possible yeah I understand. But the thing is small inputs of trim give bigger reaction expected, not so in the F-5 but try the Mig 21 and you will notice.

My YouTube channel

SPECS
-AMD FX8370 8 Core Processor 4.2 ghz
-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P
-GTX 1050 TI Windforce 4g
-16 GB RAM
-Saitek X 52
-FaceNOIRtrack - 3 point clip Red Led
BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:21 PM   #9
WildBillKelsoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylosis View Post
Hi,

Haven't been on the forum for a while and haven't been in DCS for a while either.

So yesterday I got back into DCS. Decided to use the F-5 as it is a relatively simple aircraft, and though it isn't a new issue for me, it's the first time I decided to post about it. I've looked around the forum for an answer, but I haven't found anything exactly talking about this. So:

I have the issue that, and the issue is at its worst on the F-5, that my controls inputs are overly sensitive. I'm not talking about the axis controls, but about the hat switches mainly. I use a Thrustmaster T16000 (HOTAS and Rudder pedals) and when I want to trim the aircraft, or move the radar cursor, or similar kind of operations, I'm having a hard time. Even if I just try to push one of my hat switch just a tiny bit, I get big movements.

So for example, when I try to lock onto a radar signal, I just can't get my cursor onto it easily. I just keep going over and not being able to stop the cursor onto it.

Or, for example, if my plane is almost rightly trimmed but just require a tiny bit more, I just end up overshooting it, and the plane is now more "untrimmed" than it was.

I own other modules, for instance the Mirage and the A10, and the issue is much less present. Which makes me think it's not the joystick but the F-5 module itself. I have also tried another joystick and I had the same issue (though I must say it was another cheaper Thrustmaster joystick).

Any way I can adjust that input sensitivity? Some work around maybe? Anybody else having this issue?

Thanks a lot.

Your cursor is controlled by an axis. Set 30-100-30-0 top down to get A-10C TGP slew rate in the axis. For trimming, I dont see the issue. Perhaps can you post a voiced video explaining the problem and how your hardware looks like? how you press it?

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.
WildBillKelsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:01 PM   #10
Thump

For trimming, are you holding the stick where you want to maintain level flight and THEN trimming off the pressures. Or are you trimming in hopes of finding level? If it's the former, then don't hold the trim for so long (I'm talking about a half second at most) and do it "one click at a time" until you get what you want. If you are trimming to just stop the aircraft from moving, then try the other method since it is the most useful means of trimming an aircraft (specific a military one).

Cheers,

Thump
Thump is offline   Reply With Quote