Jester feels like a neglected child.. - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-11-2020, 01:49 PM   #11
draconus
DCS Ground Crew

mattag08: You might have mistaken Tomcat pilot for some single-seater. If you want full radar control you're free to jump backseat. For the time before TWS Auto is implemented you can illuminate the space you want by using Jester's elevation menu with range and altitude provided. It's WIP and test placeholders currently.
draconus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:59 PM   #12
captain_dalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by draconus View Post
mattag08: You might have mistaken Tomcat pilot for some single-seater. If you want full radar control you're free to jump backseat. For the time before TWS Auto is implemented you can illuminate the space you want by using Jester's elevation menu with range and altitude provided. It's WIP and test placeholders currently.
By my estimates, it will take me about 10 years to grow my own RIO, and even then there are no guarantees the bloke will be any good at it, or even want the job!

Besides, most of his points are quite legit. I am yet to find use for the elevation orders, especially high and low. A fully functional human level AI will never be possible, so some more direct form of communication is needed. Even in SP.
captain_dalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:27 PM   #13
Uxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattag08 View Post
This. The F-14 lacks a large number of bindings for seemingly no reason other than HB won't make it a priority. Why do we STILL not have axes and buttons for things like CRS/HDG knobs?

Jester needs these binds desperately:
-STT closest enemy
-STT closest target
-TWS next track
-Set radar elevation 0°
-Move radar elevation down 1°
-Move radar elevation up 1°
-Move radar elevation down 5°
-Move radar elevation up 5°
-Set Pilot Flare switch to Pilot
-Set Pilot Flare switch to Multi

Also Jester's functionality for adjusting elevation low/low-middle/middle/middle-high/high is the most ridiculous thing I think I've seen. It's like HB have never done an actual intercept. There is no reason that the normal operation is to move the radar 16 degrees up or down completely skipping whole segments of the sky in the process. During an intercept the maximum typical adjustment to the radar is approximately 5°. The elevation movement should be:

Low = -10°
Low-Middle = -5
Middle = 0
Middle-High = +5
High = +10

We STILL need the ability to adjust the elevation in 1° increments. 1° equates to 10,000' at 100NM. In what world do we need 16° adjustments?
Have you tried voice attack? Should be capable of all that. I'm still getting familiar with it but need to compare against Bailey's profile since might already have these, though easy to add your own.

Is a good list. Gonna go down it and add if any are missing.
---
Samsung Odyssey+ WMR HMD; VKB Gunfighter 2 with MCG Pro + T-rudder, Virpil T-50CM v3 Throttle

Last edited by Uxi; 01-14-2020 at 02:29 PM.
Uxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:45 PM   #14
Dudikoff

Speaking of key bindings, there's a whole bunch of them listed in the sticky thread in the module's Bugs section (I'm also waiting for a few RIO ones to be added, like e.g. for arming the pylons).

I get the impression those are completely ignored. What was the last time HB have added some new key bindings?
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Last edited by Dudikoff; 01-17-2020 at 08:39 AM.
Dudikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:02 PM   #15
Banzaiib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudikoff View Post
Speaking of key bindings, there's a whole bunch of them listed in the sticky thread in the module's Bugs section (I'm also waiting for a few RIO ones to be added).

I get the impression those are completely ignored. What was the list time HB have added some new key bindings?
yep this... you can bind the single chaff and flare buttons from the RIO to the pilot. For now... at least.
Banzaiib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:02 PM   #16
captain_dalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uxi View Post
Have you tried voice attack? Should be capable of all that. I'm still getting familiar with it but need to compare against Bailey's profile since might already have these, though easy to add your own.

Is a good list. Gonna go down it and add if any are missing.
Doesn't voice attack work only with existing commands-functions? IIRC RIO reach-back isn't available, nor will it be.
captain_dalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:31 PM   #17
IronMike
3rd Party Developer

Much of your gripes are our gripes as well, guys. However, we need to crack the TWS Auto nut first. Only then will it make sense to fill in the gaps in BVR.

Some more improvements mentioned here are on the list as well, including adding keybinds for his most important menu commands. However, this also will make more sense towards the end of his development. Thank you for your kind patience in the meantime.

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/
IronMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:42 PM   #18
jojo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
Much of your gripes are our gripes as well, guys. However, we need to crack the TWS Auto nut first.
+1 thanks
https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote