Sea Eagle anti-ship

pappavis

If I am correct, the Sea Eagle can only be launched only on mission-editor preset targets.

Back in Su-33 could launch Kh-41s in similiar fashion only onto mission editor targets. That missile was <=2007 removed from the Su-33 in pre-DCS.

Are there plans for updates to the Sea Eagle, so to point-and-shoot, so the missile would go active straight after launch, and engage anything inside its seeker sensor' range. The missile should in my uneducated opinion have a fire-and-forget mode.

Maybe could be set as mission editor option: pre-planned target, or point-and-shoot.

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

"умный, спортсмен, комсомолетс"

[sIGPIC]159th_pappavis.jpg[/sIGPIC]

[TABLE]SPECS: i9-9900K 32gigs RAM, Geforce 2070RTX, Creative XFi Fata1ity, TIR5, Valve Index & HP Reverb, HOTAS Warthog, Logitech G933 Headset, 10Tb storage.[/TABLE]

If I am correct, the Sea Eagle can only be launched only on mission-editor preset targets.

Correct. And it is only one target per aircraft group (so, if you have aircraft groups of one aircraft each, it is one aircraft per target).

The Sea Eagle was only ever used on the C-101 in RL for trials and these were pre-planned against known targets.

So, yes, the current implementation is realistic. Fire-and-forget mode is going off in the "what if" direction. Nice, sure, but hardly a priority.

• 3 weeks later...

Are there plans for updates to the Sea Eagle, so to point-and-shoot, so the missile would go active straight after launch, and engage anything inside its seeker sensor' range. The missile should in my uneducated opinion have a fire-and-forget mode.

Maybe could be set as mission editor option: pre-planned target, or point-and-shoot.

Yes pls pls pls

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Intel Core i9 13900K; Palit GeForce RTX 4090; 64GB Kingston FURY DDR5

Steam | Discord | Twitch | YouTube | Instagram

• 1 month later...

Will there be an update to allow the Sea Eagle to be targeted at a spot determined before take-off but without access to the mission editor?

DCS in multiplayer has no mission planning tool, the Viggen's ASW can be programmed via the CK37 or by external cartridge generation. As I understand the Aviojet has no mission cartridge. But the Viggen can also load F10 map Markpoints to be programmed into the weapons on startup.

If the Sea Eagle never had an opportunity mode I'm against implementing that, but I would be interested if it would be possible to program them on the ground, either via kneeboard or even more comfortable via F10 markpoints?

• 3 weeks later...
Will there be an update to allow the Sea Eagle to be targeted at a spot determined before take-off but without access to the mission editor?

DCS in multiplayer has no mission planning tool, the Viggen's ASW can be programmed via the CK37 or by external cartridge generation. As I understand the Aviojet has no mission cartridge. But the Viggen can also load F10 map Markpoints to be programmed into the weapons on startup.

If the Sea Eagle never had an opportunity mode I'm against implementing that, but I would be interested if it would be possible to program them on the ground, either via kneeboard or even more comfortable via F10 markpoints?

I might take a stab at writing my own script to do something like this. I have a general idea of how to do it but haven't worked out the specifics. Either by using mark points or by simply selecting ships from a menu list.

Hi, guys.

Started working on a script to allow you to target ships dynamically during the mission (instead of having to use the mission editor). I have the first part working where ship targets can be assigned dynamically. As well, I have it where you can launch on multiple ships simultaneously whether they're in the same group or different groups. With the mission editor, that isn't really possible because all missiles will go for the primary target until it is dead. And then they'll go for the secondary target. And so on.

Now, I'm working on the actual target assignment logic. This is how I envision the steps:

----------

1. Player opens the F10 map and places a mark point with text that matches the exact name of the ship group (mark point doesn't have to be physically near the ships).

2. Player exits the map and then opens their F10 menu.

Main

F10 Other ...

3. Player opens the sub-menu "List Target Ship Groups".

Main. Other

F1 List Target Ship Groups ...

4. Player selects the group they want to fire the first Sea Eagle at.

Main. Other. List Target Ship Groups

F1 Cargo Group

5. Player selects the unit they want to fire the first Sea Eagle at.

Main. Other. List Target Ship Groups. Cargo Group

F1 Unit #1 (Dry Cargo Ship)

F2 Unit #2 (Bulk Cargo Ship)

F3 Unit #3 (Dry Cargo Ship)

F4 Unit #4 (Tanker Elnya)

6. Sea Eagle gets assigned to the selected unit.

7. Repeat steps for second Sea Eagle (same unit can be targeted with the second missile if desired).

----------

The reason the mark points will contain the group name and not the unit name is because the F10 map doesn't show individual unit names so the player wouldn't know what to put in for the mark point text.

And later on, I might add some logic so that the Sea Eagle might hit the wrong ship. In the example above, there are 2 dry cargo ships. So, even if you target the first one, the Sea Eagle might accidentally go for the second one.

Edited by kontiuka

Great news!

One thing to consider. Does Sea Eagle support BOL (bearing on launch) mode like DCS Harpoon and RB-15? Wiki article suggests it, but I have not found a technical article on it. It is a simple point and shoot mode.

If that is the case, we should be able to launch Sea Eagle without any pre-planned targets. Just point the nose of the aircraft in the target direction and release weapon. Missile will guide on the first target in it’s path and within seeker-range.

Great news!

One thing to consider. Does Sea Eagle support BOL (bearing on launch) mode like DCS Harpoon and RB-15? Wiki article suggests it, but I have not found a technical article on it. It is a simple point and shoot mode.

If that is the case, we should be able to launch Sea Eagle without any pre-planned targets. Just point the nose of the aircraft in the target direction and release weapon. Missile will guide on the first target in it’s path and within seeker-range.

I'll take a look at that after I complete this part of it. But it might be beyond what you can do with scripting. Or, more specifically, more than "I" can do with scritping. :lol:

I'll take a look at that after I complete this part of it. But it might be beyond what you can do with scripting. Or, more specifically, more than "I" can do with scritping. :lol:
Thought about this a bit and I might be able to do a poor-man's version of this. That is, before launching the missile, have it do a scan and target lock of whatever is in front of your plane via the F10 menu. That essentially would perform the same task as a point-and-shoot.

EDIT: And maybe a message can show up telling the pilot what kind of ship is locked and the pilot has the option of rejecting it. I know we're really getting into fantasy land here but it would be fun to give it a try. If I did this, I would probably give the mission designer the option to restrict this or not depending on how realistic they wanted their mission to be.

Edited by kontiuka

Oh sorry, my bad! I thought you were part of AvioDev development team. Now I understand why it has to be done with a script.

From wiki:

Once launched the Sea Eagle is completely autonomous, with the flight and target seeking completely controlled by the on-board computer system which functions according to programmable options covering a large set of cruise, search and attack options, including a simple, pre-programmed 'point and shoot' mode that allows it to be carried by basic aircraft without radar, using targeting information radioed to the pilot from external sources or even visually located by him, with the missile's short minimum range assisting this.

I like your lock up/message idea! Maybe disguise it as target information radioed to the pilot?

With target, heading and range. Put in some radio effects together with the text message,

maybe even a voiceover or two :)

Edited by Schmidtfire

kontiuka, Schmidtfire, I can only say go for it!!!

This sounds like a really posible idea to have in DCS, and the planning for the "Point And Shoot" system is really great!!!

Thanks for involving with this!! (I sended a couple of messages to AvioDev about this exact topic, but had no answer :( ).

I like your lock up/message idea! Maybe disguise it as target information radioed to the pilot?

With target, heading and range. Put in some radio effects together with the text message,

maybe even a voiceover or two :)

Oh, by message, I just meant a simple text message saying that the missile has located something on its radar. And to be realistic, it wouldn't be overly detailed. Something like 'large ship detected, 52 degrees, 30 nm' or 'small ship detected, 61 degrees, 18 nm'. Just to take the place of a radar blip that you would see in say the Viggen.

But you have some interesting ideas there as well.

Edited by kontiuka

Just found this web site …

https://military.wikia.org/wiki/Sea_Eagle_(missile)

Don't know how accurate the info is but it says the radar range is 30 km. So, I'll use that as my max detection range in my script unless someone can give me a verified number.

Anyway, going to finish the mark point logic first before I tackle 'opportunity mode'. Hope to have the initial functionality done sometime in the next few weeks.

Great news!

Couple years (or more) ago Combat Aircraft magazine featured a Sea Harrier pilot interview (spread over 2 issues). The pilot talked about the Balkan ops in the 90's, and that they flew with Sea Eagle training rounds to refresh ops/tactics to counter a possible Fast Attack Craft threat. He mentioned the visual Bearing-Only mode...