F-117A isn't 100% invisible on radar - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-16-2017, 09:55 AM   #41
mutley146

Reputation power: 0
mutley146 is on a distinguished road

One came through RAF Linton on Ouse in 1995 (I think or possibly 96) and I can give you all a few hints as to what it looked like from ATC Radar (Watchman). RAF Linton on Ouse is a training base that operates the Shorts Tucano.

One F117 came through for a practice diversion so it was under surveillance radar control and precision approach radar control. The F117 had next to no radar signature outside of 10 miles, next to no primary return. It had around 1/8 the primary return at less than one mile compared to a Tucano.
mutley146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:25 AM   #42
Vampyre

Reputation power: 9
Vampyre is just really niceVampyre is just really niceVampyre is just really niceVampyre is just really niceVampyre is just really niceVampyre is just really niceVampyre is just really niceVampyre is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutley146 View Post
One came through RAF Linton on Ouse in 1995 (I think or possibly 96) and I can give you all a few hints as to what it looked like from ATC Radar (Watchman). RAF Linton on Ouse is a training base that operates the Shorts Tucano.

One F117 came through for a practice diversion so it was under surveillance radar control and precision approach radar control. The F117 had next to no radar signature outside of 10 miles, next to no primary return. It had around 1/8 the primary return at less than one mile compared to a Tucano.
...and when operating in non combat environments radar reflectors attached to the airframe were standard equipment.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:00 PM   #43
311Gryphon

Reputation power: 5
311Gryphon has a spectacular aura about311Gryphon has a spectacular aura about311Gryphon has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fri13 View Post
Just like how there was a old 90's movie "broken arrow" about F-117, and how they simply started to track it by scanning air disturbance that aircraft caused by speeding through the air.
Wasn't that a B-2? It's been awhile since I saw that movie. What they flew at the beginning was a B-2 but I don't remember if there were any other planes in the movie.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:01 PM   #44
mutley146

Reputation power: 0
mutley146 is on a distinguished road

So its 'invisibility' without reflectors is near on 100% then.
mutley146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:07 PM   #45
razo+r
Veteran

Reputation power: 14
razo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nice

on long range yes, but not from close range