What tape is the F-16 modeled after?

bkthunder

I find it *very* strange that in dgft mode the hud doesn't de-clutter as seen in pretty much all variants / tapes of the F-16 throughout the years.

I have personally not seen info, anywhere (manuals, videos, specialized forums) about this type of hud behavior where the hud is so cluttered. Mind you, I have never flown an F-16, I'm just passionate about it and have read, watched and listened to anything available about it for the past 25 years or so...

I was sure teh current hud behavior was a bug, but I recall ED saying this is true for the very specific tape version and year. So, can we get any info about what tape it is?

Thanks

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

The DGFT mode is still WIP, i reported a "bug" not long ago about DGFT/HUD roll indicator and it was moved to wishlist and marked later in EA. So, i think we don't see the final version of DGFT/HUD.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=256121

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Hi guys!

Better wait before comparing anything, not only about DGFT.

ATM, there are a lot "deviations" ... even on basic functionalities. (uncaged FPM, pitch ladder dependency, heading tape ... etc ...)

Its a beta (I would almost rather call it alpha at that level). I do not expect it to be really accurate anytime soon.

Regards.

I find it *very* strange that in dgft mode the hud doesn't de-clutter as seen in pretty much all variants / tapes of the F-16 throughout the years.

I have personally not seen info, anywhere (manuals, videos, specialized forums) about this type of hud behavior where the hud is so cluttered. Mind you, I have never flown an F-16, I'm just passionate about it and have read, watched and listened to anything available about it for the past 25 years or so...

I was sure teh current hud behavior was a bug, but I recall ED saying this is true for the very specific tape version and year. So, can we get any info about what tape it is?

Thanks

Indeed very strange, but this is the explanation...:

"This is based on a USAF F-16C Block 50 circa 2007 and may be a bit different than you are used to. This is specifically true with the Dogfight mode HUD as it has changed greatly in later years."

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4054719&postcount=22

Best regards,

Indeed very strange, but this is the explanation...:

"This is based on a USAF F-16C Block 50 circa 2007 and may be a bit different than you are used to. This is specifically true with the Dogfight mode HUD as it has changed greatly in later years."

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4054719&postcount=22

Best regards,

Weird, I wonder what he's referring to. There are a lot of variants but the last 10 years they've been back and forth on SLEP, retiring the eagles and flying vipers to 2040... most of the major upgrades are international

To answer the question, though, as far as I can tell its not a specific tape. It seems like they are mostly going 4.3, which is right for 2007, but they're diverged a bit... the plan has ordinance from 5+ and it critical systems from 4.3 missing. Sniper got the axe presumably because of tech or documentary reasons, whatever, I assume there was a reason but I don't know whether that means we are losing dual pod capability or we are going to pretend it can dual pod HTS and Litening (which I believe it can now with the 2015-ish litening pods). Conversely, we are getting JSOW, which were ~2 years later coincident with dual mode Paveway IIs, which we are not getting.

HTS R7 was ubiquitous by 2007, but required sniper for the two-pod ability to search, ID and locate with precision req'd for stand off munitions... maybe they don't plan dual pod, or will do dual pods but just HTS only capability... i.e.ranging good enough for HARM known range mode. I try to not be a complainer but that would suck, the wild weasel mission is fun and coordinated HARM/PGM DEAD missions with a few other planes would provide capability way behind anything we have in game.

Totally guessing here, with a hefty dose of cynicism at that, but at first it seemed like they were loading it up to be nearly on par with Hornet in ordinance capability, but more modern - remember JASSM? JASSM OFP was in the 120D, SDB, 9x II, LJDAM, GCAS, LOAL era. accurate 4.3 was a great plane but was missing a few things... things they've already developed, that would likely be easy to implement. A fully functional sniper ATP, or the modern ordinance that came with M6+ or whenever JASSM was for that matter, a lot harder to develop than JSOW. Move tape up and you have 10 years of weapons development to program, move it down you lack features players want. So realism gives way to pragmatism and they include JSOW for standoff capability, which is an infinitely more boring mission that sead/dead, but one that a lot of players seem to like.

Edited by sk000tch

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

I'm pretty sure the SNIPER is still not 100% axed but in the Limbo of "we are still checking out if we can get enough non-classified documentation for it". At least I don't recall a definitive "it's not coming"-info since release.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

• 3 weeks later...

With all the "this is not a franken-viper" advertising they made, turns out this is more franken than any other simulated F-16 out there...

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

With all the "this is not a franken-viper" advertising they made, turns out this is more franken than any other simulated F-16 out there...

Kinda Unfair considering it’s still very WIP.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.