TWS AMRAAMS go for incoming Missiles

DANIELs

1) Desync means you don't know where the missile is actually, and 54s desync (actually more realistic that way after a fashion)

2) you're moving fast. This makes it hard to get into and stay in the notch, which is made worse by #1

3) too little chaff - feed this thing chaff until it leaves you alone

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

From my very basic understanding, in your video of the second shot, you didn't appear to be notching the missile ... it was at roughly 90degs (87deg) on your beam, but you were approx 30degs off its nose as it closed in using PN. This would give it a non-zero relative speed to you, ie. not be in its doppler filter speed range. Shouldn't you be at 90 to it, ie. forming a 'T' to the missile?? Do 54s use doppler radar or non-doppler radar? Was the missile closing from an uphill or downhill shot?

Edited by Kula66

Notching is about having the same approach speed as the ground. If the missile is a perfect 90 degrees away from your flight path vector, you'll be more still, as far as doppler is concerned, than a tree bending in the wind. (Unless you have exposed props, but DCS doesn't seem to simulate that.)

AFAICT, missiles going for chaff is a random chance, though the chances seem greatly increased by notching compared to not, at least in general. Then there's what happens with ground clutter in your cell.

Back on topic, I don't remember what missiles an amraam will target from maddog, but I distinctly remember sa-10 (s-300) was among the things it would target.

Brute forcing your way into a sa-10 zone is one of the very few reasons it can be legit to load 10 amraams on a hornet that doesn't even have TWS. You'd want to have enough hornets to have more missiles than the site, and THEN have some payload to put on whatever your actual target was.