What Module Aircraft is your Hardest to Land ?

Igor4U

I always try to finish each mission (unless I was Toast) with an RTB and Full-Stop Landing. I don't have every Aircraft Module, but the Fixed Wing Birds I do have; each has it's own unique Landing Personality.

Most of my Tricycle Gear Aircraft have pretty benign Approach and Landing Characteristics. No nasty surprises as long as you manage your Airspeed, Aimpoint, Glide Path, and Power Reduction.

But I have three Modules that I consider the hardest to consistently land nicely. They are:

- MiG-21bis: The High Power Setting Required coupled with having to fly a Low Alpha Fast (350 Km/h) and Steep (4 Degrees+) Approach to keep the Runway Threshold in Sight makes the timing of the Roundout and Power Reduction Critical. As you stabilize over the Runway into the Flare - you actually lose sight of the Runway ahead of you and are left with not much except Peripheral Vision to sense Sink Rate and Height about Touchdown. But don't chop that Throttle to Idle or you'll drop like a Rock unless you're just a few inches above touchdown.

Mig-21 SPS system, or the magic of blown flaps

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=132490

- F-5E: The relatively high AoA Approach keeps the Nose High and also requires a fairly steep 3+ Degree descending Glidepath to maintain sight of the

Landing Environment. The Roundout seems to need keeping power on - because reducing power here (too much, too fast), you'll get that 'Sinking' feeling. Once established in the Flare you can smoothly come to idle. But you know what - if you're a little fast - that Low Wing Bird can do a little floating down in Ground Effect. I've actually seen this in real life Video - Pilots having to pulse the stick slightly forward (almost imperceptible - but if you watch closely - visible) to lower AoA and kill Lift (Watch the Swiss F-5 Landings carefully - you'll catch it). And I've had to do this as well - just a tad mind you.

2 Northrop F-5E Tiger II Patrouille Suisse Start Landing and Taxiway at Meiringen Air Base

- P-51D: This Feller is the Hardest of them all to (consistently) land smoothly. With the Beast named 'Merlin', Small power changes induce quite a few Torque Gyrations - so getting configured (Gear & Flaps) on speed with a stablized power setting is critical. I find that flying (Approach) slightly faster (than recommended 115-120 mph) at 125 to 130 mph is helpful. But the Tail-Wheel configuration with mid-fuselage cockpit results in losing sight of the Runway ahead of the Aircraft after Roundout while in the Flare. Again - you're left with nothing but Peripheral Vision to judge Sink Rate and Height above Touchdown. And - almost every P-51 I've had in many Sims - all are Bouncy on Touchdown unless you come very close to touching down with ZERO Vertical Velocity. This is my Toughest Aircraft to Land.

How about you Ladies and Gents (using the term loosely), what Aircraft is the Toughest to Land ?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty comfortable with most aircraft now, though the warbirds are more of a challenge.

I'll also go with the Mig21, which I'm finding significantly more challenging, than trying to land the F18 on a carrier. As you say, it's a combination of poor low speed handling and lack of visibility, which makes even a Spitfire look good.

For all that, I'm fairly new to the Mig, so am looking forward to getting the better of it.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I agree the MiG-21 does take some practice. As far as WW2 birds go, I find the Spitfire a lot harder to land than the P-51, mostly due to the much narrower landing gear. My addition to the list would be the Mi-8MT, not quite for the landing itself but its rather tricky hover transition.

Probably the Spitfire for me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I don't have the spitfire, but out of those I have, Bf-109, followed closely by Fw-190. Mustang is less difficult.

MiG-21 has been a walk in the park for me compared to these.

Another thing, F-86 felt reeeeeeeeaaaally easy to land even the first time I used it, but last few times I tried I have botched all my landing attempts in it. Though it probably has to do with me getting very, very rusty as I rarely have time these days and have been on an extended hiatus.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Of the 3 helicopters, and 1 plane module, that I have, not including the freebies -

The Ka-50 is easy as pie due to the autopilots.

The A-10 is easy so long as you remember to keep it just around 140-150mph (take off speed) and don't be too high when you cross the start of the runway, about 100-200ft is good, same applies to any plane really, keep it above stall speed and just around take off speed, and not too high.

Don't know about the Mi-8 because I admit to not having flown it much.

I find the Huey the hardest to land.

I find slowing down, transitioning to a hover, and losing height takes ages and under fire I'm a sitting duck, or something goes wrong, like ending up in VRS. Can't do "combat" landings either as I inevitably come in too hard, too fast, or in the case of a hillside, too low!

Landing is THE most difficult thing I find in the Huey, it takes a great effort of concentration on my part.

Edited by Raven_Morpheus

I only tried once a WW2 Warbird, the Mustang, and was terrible. :) But i only flew it once, so from all i flew, the hardest to get the hang of it to lkand, was the AV-8B, VTOL landing as per trying to do it real life style, was tricky, doing the carrier break and landing on it, getting it steady for hover landing etc... Ever the learning of Hover take-off was hard, without going al over the planet.

As per Helicopters, between the Gazelle, Huey and MI-8, i can say the Gazelle eas the hardest to keep steady in ground effet, though the last time i flew it, tons of patches came after, so it might had quite a lot changed since then.

Mig 21 is the hardest for me.

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

The Spitfire took me the longest to get nailed down. Everything else WWII was a breeze once I mastered the Spit.

I imagine the 109 could get out of shape easily enough with the high camber undercarriage setup which is very particular about being "wings level" but I have no problems with it.

Imagine a motorcycle landing from a jump while leaned over the same amount. Craziness.

The left wheel is trying to send you right and the right wheel is trying to send you left by design.

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

The Mi-8, and the UH-1H Huey, are by far the hardest to land, being conventional helicopters (I don't have the Gazelle, but it's probably a handful too).

Everything else is a total milk run compared to the helicopters with tail rotors. Even carrier landings :)

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

My first DCS module was the Spitfire. Everything else is easy to land compared to that. The engine torque and the narrow undercarriage are widow makers. The ground effect characteristics are very quirky too, easy to bounce close to stall speed.

Key is to properly trim the aircraft and maintain a good glide speed. Once you land it consistently without take off assistance you feel very special.

Out of all of them, the Spitfire, hands down.

If we remove the old taildraggers from the equation, probably the MiG-21 because of how differently you have to approach the whole thing. All your habitual ideas of where the runway should be, at what angle you should be seeing it, and what speeds you should be going for are completely different from almost everything else so you have to consciously recalibrate your entire expectation of the approach to not end up in the trees.

The helos (and evne the Harrier) aren't really hard, I'd say — just more demanding in terms of being careful and methodical, because there is simply no recovery from sloppiness, but it's all fairly standard.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

On the modules I have: The P-51 but about the M2000, you have to be very aware with the speed of touchdown, if you don't want to burst a tire.

CPU: I7-6700K 4Ghz, GC: nVidia GeForce Titan X Gigabytes, 32 Go DDR4, Motherboard: Gigabytes Z170X-Gaming 3. OS: W10-Family, 3 HD Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB + 1 Samsung SSD EVO 500 Gb. Oculus Rift CV1

The Mi-8, and the UH-1H Huey, are by far the hardest to land, being conventional helicopters (I don't have the Gazelle, but it's probably a handful too).

The Huey is far, far easier to land if you fly a (for lack of a better term) walking stick approach. Basically pick a point on the ground, come in fairly low, and fly around the back of the point, basically following a route that looks like this:

naturalcolorwoodencane-1.gif.png?v=1526570581

It also works really well on the Mi-8 - that kind of approach avoids all the danger areas of VRS that you would normally encounter on a straight-in approach. You can also have a fair bit of fun seeing how aggressively you can throw it into the turn/stop without crashing.

Quick video of how it looks: https://clips.twitch.tv/NurturingInquisitiveWoodpeckerMrDestructoid

It took me quite a while to be able to land an Mi-8 without the tail breaking off. When I replaced my Warthog by a Pro Flight Trainer Puma for helicopter flying, it suddenly became a whole lot easier and I have never had problems landing any helicopter since.

As for fixed wing, the MiG-21 definitely. It takes a while to get used to it again if you haven't flown it in a while: I just keep bouncing up on landings... Once I dedicate myself to re-learning it, it's fine again.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Elysian Eagle you mind sharing you puma setup for everything I haven’t found the best setup yet

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.