2021 (and earlier) DCS Newsletter Discussion Thread

NineLine

• ED Team
1 hour ago, KIllshot0597 said:

For some reason AI crank now after firing a missile, I might be blind but I'm pretty sure this wasn't the case a few months ago. There seems to have been some improvements just not publicly it seems. ED seems to sneak some changes in from time to time.

It has been this way for over a year now. Thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 8/6/2021 at 9:32 AM, BIGNEWY said:

We will share milestone news in future newsletters,
If you have short example track replays showing a problem post them in the bugs section we can show it to the AI devs. 

Track files? I'd would then have to record every second flight I do. Very often I or my friends find something to remark about, either ai not following orders, not flying in formation or just not obeying the laws of physics (bfm ) (or ai always doing the same right turn or loop in bfm, the other day an enemy f18 was trailing me for 5 minutes, I was flying straight and level just waiting for the ai to engage me, after 5 min cruising the ai took a shot when I was about to land...it's slow to react and just way to easy ) to just randomly ejecting to the atc not responding or just does things plain wrong. The other day I was not allowed to take off despite being the only plane on the airfield. Another day I was inbound and was finally told to check gear before landing, only to be told the last second to abort (ai flight on runway). I also see ai wingman crashing into parked airplanes in bunyaps latest campaign I purchased. The ai never running out of energy or being affected by G is another issue I waited years for. 

To be honest, this can hardly be any new news for ED, the community have been wanting ai improvements for ages. Even Nick Grey acknowledged the quite glaring issues in what I think was two interviews some 6 to 7 months ago.

The problem is that me including countless of people have reported AI issues and AI bugs for several years but we still have in many years ways an ai with the same basic features and faults we had almost a decade ago. I just want you to give us your plans and share insights in what the overall ai roadmap is and how it will improve on in specific areas. I don't want anymore to report individual issues (just check the ai bugs section.. It's massive) 

I've spend a lot of time and money on this product and me writing here is two fold, one part being me that's very passionated about dcs and wanting it to improve, the other part is me being annoyed because somethings never changes (or they take very long time because they are not prioritized.. 

This perhaps is not a topic for the news letter discussion, hence my original post in dcs core section but it was moved here. 

Thanks. 

Edited by b0bl00i
  • Like 3

As to Newsletter 13 August 2021

I would prefer to read more and detailed information about high-priority topics such as performance improvement and Vulcan implementation status in the newsletters. Both coding corrrection and architecture change are basic prerequisite to significantly improve DCS World 2.7. (efficient use of hardware) and for this reason fixed and rotary wing handling (frame frequency, latency) as well as the inevitable improvement of simulation depth (AI ground and air, communication, dynamical weather, etc.). ED ought to be able to regularly communicate concrete results in this regard, too.  

Edited by Fastbreak
  • Like 14

System Components

Power supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W 80Plus Platinum <> Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix X570-E Gaming  <> Processor: Ryzen 5 5600x <> Cooler: DeepCool Gammaxx C40 <> RAM: 2x16GB HyperX Predator 3600Mhz <> SSD: 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe M.2 (Raid 0) <> HD: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda <> Graphics card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti 11G Gaming <> Head tracking: TrackIR4 Pro <> dunTrackR <> Monitors: Philips bdm4065uc 40" 4K 3840x2160  (Camera) <> 2x IBM 15" 1024x768 (LMFCD & RMFCD)

Cockpit: self-construction <> Controls: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog (extension for cyclic & collective control) <> Thrustmaster Rudder Control System <> Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium <> Logitech Z-560 THX Sound System

"...Runways are for beauty queens!"

I agree, topics such as Vulkan/multithreading, AI improvements, weather, etc... are big priorities, and imo ED doesn't communicate nearly enough on what is done, being done, and left to be done. Either ED should have not made any announcement at all on those topics, or they should regularly report progress. I understand that ED wants to wait until things are quite advanced before giving more information, but when such important features are announced, more transparency could really help in alleviating some of the frustrations in the community.

Edited by Mad_Shell
  • Like 10

When there are news to share they will share it... 

• Like 3

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

On 8/14/2021 at 9:04 PM, Gierasimov said:

When there are news to share they will share it... 

This statement about the status quo is worth its weight in gold - thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

System Components

Power supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W 80Plus Platinum <> Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix X570-E Gaming  <> Processor: Ryzen 5 5600x <> Cooler: DeepCool Gammaxx C40 <> RAM: 2x16GB HyperX Predator 3600Mhz <> SSD: 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe M.2 (Raid 0) <> HD: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda <> Graphics card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti 11G Gaming <> Head tracking: TrackIR4 Pro <> dunTrackR <> Monitors: Philips bdm4065uc 40" 4K 3840x2160  (Camera) <> 2x IBM 15" 1024x768 (LMFCD & RMFCD)

Cockpit: self-construction <> Controls: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog (extension for cyclic & collective control) <> Thrustmaster Rudder Control System <> Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium <> Logitech Z-560 THX Sound System

On 8/14/2021 at 12:52 PM, Fastbreak said:

As to Newsletter 13 August 2021

I would prefer to read more and detailed information about high-priority topics such as performance improvement and Vulcan implementation status in the newsletters. Both coding corrrection and architecture change are basic prerequisite to significantly improve DCS World 2.7. (efficient use of hardware) and for this reason fixed and rotary wing handling (frame frequency, latency) as well as the inevitable improvement of simulation depth (AI ground and air, communication, dynamical weather, etc.). ED ought to be able to regularly communicate concrete results in this regard, too.  

All of them has on progress

• ED Team
On 8/14/2021 at 12:52 PM, Fastbreak said:

I would prefer to read more and detailed information about high-priority topics such as performance improvement and Vulcan implementation status in the newsletters

And we will once we have news to share. If we share to early we get accused of over hyping. 

work continues, when we reach a milestone in the development we will let you all know. 

Thanks

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Dear BIGNEWY, dear Silver_Dragon,

With all due respect, I still think that I take a dim view of ED's communications strategy in this matter.

Anyhow, I think it's to (y)our interest to not start a discussion here, so I would like to thank you for your feedback!

Bye for now 😏

• Like 2

System Components

@BIGNEWY no good deed goes unpunished. Despite the griping I read all the time about ED's lack of transparency, personally I think you are doing a great job. In fact ED is far more transparent about development progress than any other software company I deal with or monitor. Looking forward to more great things in the future. DCS has not disappointed so far.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

@BIGNEWY no good deed goes unpunished. Despite the griping I read all the time about ED's lack of transparency, personally I think you are doing a great job. In fact ED is far more transparent about development progress than any other software company I deal with or monitor. Looking forward to more great things in the future. DCS has not disappointed so far.
I can totally get behind this. These past two years since I got back into DCS and got active on the forum, things have changed immensely for the better.
So thanks ED and the moderators!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• ED Team
21 hours ago, sthompson said:

3 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

I can totally get behind this. These past two years since I got back into DCS and got active on the forum, things have changed immensely for the better.
So thanks ED and the moderators!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

We ( nineline and I ) share as much as we can on the forums, discord, social media and we appreciate your kind words and support.

thanks

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, wowbagger said:

Just wanted to show my appreciation for another interesting Sunday Supplement. These are so well done and provide wonderful background information which ignites the imagination each time one fires up a DCS aircraft. 

Great job! Thank you and please keep 'em coming.

Yes it is very well written and interesting. It paints a rosy picture.

In March 1945, Mosquitoes were tasked to bomb the Gestapo HQ in Copenhagen. A Mosquito hit a telephone pole on the way in and crashed between a teater and a school. This prompted the rest of the flight to drop their bombs on the smoking wreck.

86 schoolchildren and 18 adults were killed by the bombs and the school was totally destroyed. All in all 250 people were killed that day almost all civilians. 900 families lost their homes.

Some of the planes managed to hit the target although they inadvertently killed 8 resistance fighters who were being kept in the building by the Germans.

Pictures here: https://voresgamledanmark.dk/anden-verdenskrig/den-franske-skole-bombning-shellhusbombardementet/

37 minutes ago, Count Sessine said:

It paints a rosy picture.

In so far as any story that involves intentional and wholesale destruction and killing (anything involving war) can be called 'rosy', perhaps. I believe we all know that war is hell, and should be avoided. Was that counterpoint really that necessary? I grew up in post-war Hamburg (that to this day has reminders of Operation Gomorrah which left some 180000 wounded and 37000 dead within a few days). I presume most people here are either equally reminded daily of those horrors, or know well enough to differentiate between an infotainment narration, and a documentation of harsh reality: this is a gaming forum. 

We are playing a game that - yes - revolves around a difficult, murderous and brutal theme: war. Do we really need to be made feeling guilty about that? Is it too much to ask to let those ghosts rest - if only in these gaming forums?

Please?

Edited by cfrag
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, cfrag said:

In so far as any story that involves intentional and wholesale destruction and killing (anything involving war) can be called 'rosy', perhaps. I believe we all know that war is hell, and should be avoided. Was that counterpoint really that necessary? I grew up in post-war Hamburg (that to this day has reminders of Operation Gomorrah which left some 180000 wounded and 37000 dead within a few days). I presume most people here are either equally reminded daily of those horrors, or know well enough to differentiate between an infotainment narration, and a documentation of harsh reality: this is a gaming forum. 

We are playing a game that - yes - revolves around a difficult, murderous and brutal theme: war. Do we really need to be made feeling guilty about that? Is it too much to ask to let those ghosts rest - if only in these gaming forums?

Please?

Yes, fair enough, I guess my post was inappropriate in the context here.

If we stay within context of this game, however, we can agree that perhaps the Mosquito was not exactly the precision instrument the post makes it out to be 🙂

28 minutes ago, Count Sessine said:

If we stay within context of this game, however, we can agree that perhaps the Mosquito was not exactly the precision instrument the post makes it out to be

Yeah, tree top level pin-point day strike with delayed fuses on bombs versus high alt night carpet bombing in bad weather with the accuracy radius counted in 3 miles for 50% of bombs 🙂

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Before it hits the fan:

"ammunition at a rate of 550 rounds per minute"

M230_30mm_Bushmaster_Chain_Gun_(1).pdf (fbcinc.com)

image.png

Edited by Gierasimov

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

2 hours ago, Gierasimov said:

Before it hits the fan:

"ammunition at a rate of 550 rounds per minute"

M230_30mm_Bushmaster_Chain_Gun_(1).pdf (fbcinc.com)

image.png

So the reality is manufacturers say one thing, but then reality sets in and the aircraft gets a vote. I’ve timed many a 10 round burst over my time and the burst completes between 1 to 1.1 seconds or so. This puts the actual fire rate around 600 to 550 rpm. Herein lies the problem with doggedly sticking to “but the book says”! It rarely mirrors reality.

• Like 4

That new Wespe model for the WWII Asset pack looks spectacular.  The level of detail is amazing.  Well done to those responsible.  Great work.
I mean, I'd prefer to see that detail on units that will actually be seen up close, such as aircraft whose models are 15 years old. A WW2 SPG that will most likely be just a target does not need to have that amount of detail. I just hope the LODs are good, for the sake of performance.
  • Like 4

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro