New pilot- LGB in F18 help!

Jizzbomb

Hi,

I'm getting to grips with the F18 and going through the tutorials and guides. I'm struggling with a few things when it comes to Air to Ground attacks and working with the JTAC's and delviery of LGB's:

1. Identifying targets. This is a real challenge for me. I fly to a point on the map then waste time circling trying to find the target I'm looking for.

2. What to do when the JTAC doesnt lase a target? Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

Assuming no Litening pod, how can I better identify the location of the target specified when its not lased? Assume in this case that CCIP mode is the only method of delivery, which then begs the question of why I need LGB's & a JTAC at all....

3. Finding the general area that the JTAC is in or wants me to attack? I can set WP1 to target on the HSI but is this the correct process? Is WP1 always the right area to attack?

Any help/tips/guidance appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Jizzbomb,

Given the F/A-18C is in Early Access, it is a bit challenging.

Problem 1: For LGB's specifically, in single player, you're going to want to bring the litening pod along, since the JTAC may not have line-of-sight and you'll have to lase the target yourself.

Problem 2: The JTAC is providing the coordinates as MGRS and currently the F-18 only supports lat/lon. Solution here is either:

a) a mod such as https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3304451/ to allow JTAC to supply lat lon

b) Use an online tool such as http://www.legallandconverter.com/p50.html

You can create a waypoint in the F/A-18C following this tutorial:

If you're using the latest Open Beta, you can hit waypoint designate and the targeting pod will slew to the waypoint. If not, then you'll have to manually direct the targeting pod to the waypoint by looking at the SA page, which displays both the location on the ground for the pod and the waypoint, and then man handle the pod to closely overlap.

Thanks for reply! That helps. I'm using the stable version of 2.5.

I had a look at that tool, but it doesnt convert the coordinates given to me in the one mission I tried it in: BR882782. I'll try a few more to see how I get along.

Another issue I find is that the targeting pod doesnt seem to do well in cloud cover...

Edited by Jizzbomb