This Section!

NineLine

• ED Team

This section is to be used for new users to come and ask any questions they want to help them get started, and for DCS World Veterans to stop by and help the new people out.

DCS World can be a daunting task to get started in, we hope this section will help you get started in the incredible journey DCS World is.

Thanks!

ED Team

Edited by NineLine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• 1 year later...

Since I don't see any comments I don't really know if this is the right place to be. But I wanted to introduce myself, I'm just looking for something to get into and since I can't get into airsoft, I was looking for the next best thing. Is there like an active group I can join? It would really help.

@NineLine: You finanlly catched a fish in your net. All the others went into EvilBivol-1's Meet & Greet net...

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I have a noob question. I have the F-16 module, and the thing stopped steering for me. I haven't been able to find any binding for steering on either "easy" or the "sim". Also, it may be related, but the "easy" binding screen, has no landing gear item to be assigned either. I have already reset everything several times. Anyway, thanks in advance and a Happy Mew Year to everyone.

On the F-16 you have to press the NWS (Nose Wheel Steering) to activate steering mode. However, once in the air, this button acts as A/R DISC (Aircraft Refuel Disconnect) when hooked up to a tanker or MSL STEP (Missile Step) when in an attack mode. Default keyboard button is "S" (in Sim mode).

image.png

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

• 4 months later...

Hello all! old DCS player here but brand new forum user 😛 first of all  slautes to all of you form myself here in norway, i am in need of a little help regarding a purchase of the persian gulf map and the F-18 module, the F-18 works fine, but for some reason i cannot enable the persian gulf map, in module manager ingame it says it is installed, but when i am trying to make a new mission and so on using that map the only map avilable is still caucasus, and now i am completely stuck, i got the F-16, the F-18, combined arms, all works fine except that darn map! 😛 You can see in the two attached files. thanks in advance for help!

PG_map.PNG

ddd.PNG

1 hour ago, WOLF1975 said:

Hello all! old DCS player here but brand new forum user 😛 first of all  slautes to all of you form myself here in norway, i am in need of a little help regarding a purchase of the persian gulf map and the F-18 module, the F-18 works fine, but for some reason i cannot enable the persian gulf map, in module manager ingame it says it is installed, but when i am trying to make a new mission and so on using that map the only map avilable is still caucasus, and now i am completely stuck, i got the F-16, the F-18, combined arms, all works fine except that darn map! 😛 You can see in the two attached files. thanks in advance for help!

Welcome to the forum.     Try going to mission editor, on the screen where you choose your coalitions you should have an option to change map in the top left.

9 hours ago, WOLF1975 said:

all works fine except that darn map

Try to repair DCS.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/repair/#2463807

If you have any AV software you might have to look if some DCS files got into quarantine. You might have to disable scanning the DCS folders.

Oh, and please upload you dcs.log from \saved games\dcs\logs\

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 3 months later...

Hi... FNG here, really excited to get into DCS. I was an Air Force AMMO troop back in the 90s (Desert Storm) and I built the bombs, missiles, chaff/flare, worked the 20MM, squibs, and I worked up close and personal with 15C/D/Es, 16C/Ds, a few foreign fighters, and the I got to work the last of the 4s and 111s when I was in Saudi. NOTHING is louder than a 111 in AB when you are at the EOR when they light up, even with double hearing protection. Bones in burner? Chyaa, not even close!

Anyway, I'm hoping to tap you guys for info. Been out of gaming for, well... let's just say the last machine I built was considered shit hot with an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AGP 8x with 128 meganoodles onboard. That was for BF2.

So it's been a while.

So I'm just getting ready to build my system. I'm building it for the Vive Pro 2 and wanna run some hardware by you guys to see if anyone sees any known compatibility issues or just has some pointers. Being out for so long, just getting back up to speed on architecture was a bit of a read!

I'm looking at the ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII with a Ryzen 9 5950x, 2x16 gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200, 2x500 gb WD Gen 4 SN750 NVME, and the thing that's gonna take my pot of gold, the Red Devil Radeon 6900 XT.

I haven't decided on a PSU and case yet, but I'm thinking an 850 watter will do, and the case will be big. I like a lot of room.

One particular pointer I'd like to get from people is an effective but quiet CPU cooler. I hate fans (and LEDs!).

Thanks everyone, can't wait to get back up and flying!

Pex

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MrPex said:

I'm looking at the ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII with a Ryzen 9 5950x, 2x16 gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200, 2x500 gb WD Gen 4 SN750 NVME, and the thing that's gonna take my pot of gold, the Red Devil Radeon 6900 XT.

One particular pointer I'd like to get from people is an effective but quiet CPU cooler. I hate fans (and LEDs!).

I'd spare the money for the 5950X (especially when gaming is the focus) and go with a 5900x and use the saved money on DDR4-3600 (low latency) instead of 3200. And on a decent Mobo!

The quietest Cooler by far, I'd ever had (apart from a full custom watercooling with a shit ton of fans and surface) was the BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro!

Better than the Notua D15 (quieter, better looking and similar cooling). I have both, so this is somewhat empirical, for my setup at least.

Edit: I have no comparison with AiO-Watercoolers, but from second hand knowledge, they are probably comparable or better in volume to a very good Air-Cooler, but the sound can be more annoying if you here the pump...and the concept is...

I'd either go with something completely maintenance free or with a "proper" watercooling. But that is of course just an opinion!

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Thanks, Hiob. Didn't catch there was 3600 mhz ram these days. Will def go that way.

Was going with the bigger cpu to somewhat futureproof my machine. I'll look more into that since you said that.

What suggestions do you have for a mobo? Historically (again, way back when) I was an ASUS junkie, so that's why I went with that one.

Thanks!

Pex

8 hours ago, MrPex said:

Thanks, Hiob. Didn't catch there was 3600 mhz ram these days. Will def go that way.

Was going with the bigger cpu to somewhat futureproof my machine. I'll look more into that since you said that.

What suggestions do you have for a mobo? Historically (again, way back when) I was an ASUS junkie, so that's why I went with that one.

Thanks!

Pex

You probably won't notice much performance difference between 3200 and 3600 dram, but 3600 is the sweetspot for a ryzen 5000 cpu. Latency is probably equally or more important.

If you can and want to afford go with 3600/cl14, otherwise with 3200/cl14. I use 3600/cl16 (14 wasn't available then).

A recent MoBo from ASUS with the latest firmware, should easily run any of those combinations (and a lot more).

I always used ASUS and had no reason whatsoever to complain. Today I'm using a Gigabyte Aorus Master and am very happy, too.

With a decent MoBo, I refered more to the chipset and features, than to the brand.

Depending on the amount of PCIe 4.0 devices, Lastest USB-(C)-Ports and onboard-Soundcard, go with a B550 (business class) or X570 (first class) chipset.

If you decide for the latter, I'd choose a silent MoBo that uses no chipset-fan. E.g. the Gigabyte Aorus Master X570S.

Regarding the CPU - for gaming, the 5950X will hardly give you any edge over a 5900X. 12 Cores are very futureproof, I'd say.

Unless your doing somekind of heavy creative workload that can utilize all the threads (like, I dunno, Videoediting?) the 5950X is a waste of money, that would - performance wise - bebetter spent on more/better ram, a more decent MoBo or a decent Hotas.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

46 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Regarding the CPU - for gaming, the 5950X will hardly give you any edge over a 5900X. 12 Cores are very futureproof, I'd say.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-9-5950X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-5900X/4086vs4087

Yep, performance wise, exactly the same. I'd say with more cores you can get better heat distribution when running single threads between them, LOL 🙂

What about the card? Forum richies says nVidia is somehow better choice for DCS & VR.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

24 minutes ago, draconus said:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-9-5950X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-5900X/4086vs4087

Yep, performance wise, exactly the same. I'd say with more cores you can get better heat distribution when running single threads between them, LOL 🙂

What about the card? Forum richies says nVidia is somehow better choice for DCS & VR.

5900 and 5950X have both two dies - so no difference there. You shouldn't reach any temp tresholds anyway, unless you mess up the cooling.

I never used an AMD gpu, so no clue. My gut feeling is, that nvidia has the overall better compatibility and software support, but that may very well be a biased perception.

Edited by Hiob

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2021 at 12:29 AM, MrPex said:

I'll look into that cooler. Thanks!

The Arctic freezer liquid coolers are amazing.  I think they’re tested as the best performing.  No rgb and they have a small

fan on the block that blows air onto your vrms. 
also one of the less expensive of the high quality options. 
Check em out.  

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2021 at 4:26 AM, Hiob said:

5900 and 5950X have both two dies - so no difference there. You shouldn't reach any temp tresholds anyway, unless you mess up the cooling.

I never used an AMD gpu, so no clue. My gut feeling is, that nvidia has the overall better compatibility and software support, but that may very well be a biased perception.

I believe that all AMD 5000x CPUs allow you to overclock, while the ones without the "x" suffix cannot be overclocked, I think.

5600x, EVGA 3070 FTW, B550 Tomahawk, M.2 Samsung, 32GB CL16, AIO 240mm
VKB Gladiator Pro, Freetracker IR 3d printed, TM MkII HOTAS circa 1985 w/USB
Asus 27" 2560x1440 60fps (so constrain DCS to 60fps)    F-16, F-18
       2021 = First year on DCS:

• 6 months later...
3 hours ago, arb65912 said:

Where can I find the newest DCS manual?

It's in your main DCS installation \Doc folder.

Edited by draconus

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, thanks for this forum.

I haven't played DCS in quite a while, buthave built myself a new computer that should give much better fps in VR.   So, how do I go about migrating my DCS installation to the new computer?   Can I just copy the installation folders from the old SSD to the new one?   Will my module licenses still be valid?  My game installation is perhaps a year or so out of date.

Or, would it be better to download a fresh copy of the game?  If I do that, is there a way to copy all the modules from the old drive to the new one?

Finally, is there a particular forum or FAQ I should be checking? 

Thanks for your help, anxious to get back in the virtual DCS sky.

Ryzen 7 2700, MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, 16GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200, 970 EVO 1TB SSD, eVGA GTX 1080 8GB ACX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

Brand new to DCS. How does one change the HUD markings in Russian kites to English?

Thanks!

CFC Conky

1 minute ago, CFC_Conky said:

Hello all,

Brand new to DCS. How does one change the HUD markings in Russian kites to English?

Thanks!

CFC Conky

Never mind, I think I’ve figured it out.

Good hunting,

CFC Conky

Hello all,

A couple of questions:

1) Where are the key bindings for different aircraft located?

2) Is there an easy way to transfer these settings to other aircraft, i.e. the Mig-29S is set up, how can I copy this to my other -29s (FC3)

3) the elevator trim does not appear to work on the Mig-29, the key is bound, the trim switch in the cockpit moves but there is no apparent trim effect.

I am running DCS Open-Beta.

Thanks!

CFC Conky

• Like 1