Why only two sidewinder?

Cebo

It depends also on the operator, on my country the F-5E were modified to mount four missiles:

f5csp.jpg

35489.jpg

BD6.jpg?8894

On this last photo, the refueling probe shows up ... it was also a modification developed on the US.

:)

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

The F-5E Modeled is the USAF F-5E-3,

It's not an export Variant.

The only Pylons in the USAF -3 Variant Wired for Sidewinders are the LAU Wingtip Pylons.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

It depends also on the operator, on my country the F-5E were modified to mount four missiles:

f5csp.jpg

35489.jpg

BD6.jpg?8894

On this last photo, the refueling probe shows up ... it was also a modification developed on the US.

:)

Weren't the FAC Tigers modified even further than that, too?

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Weren't the FAC Tigers modified even further than that, too?

Yes, they also have an Elta EL/M-2032 multimode radar on the nose, a digital computer with databus MIL-STD 1553B, two MFD on the cabin, INS/GPS and an improved HUD. The pilot has sight mounted on the helmet, for off boresight targeting.

This modifications were made by IAI at Ben Gurion factory on two examples, the remaining planes were updated in Chile with IAI supervision, starting on 1992. Here is a photo of IAI's cabin mockup (I dont have a photo of the real cockpit, sorry):

cabina_1.jpg

The armament is four AA missiles of the type Sidewinder AIM-9P, Rafael Shafrir 2 and Rafael Python 3.

IAI also developed a recce pod for use on the F5s, but I don't have details on these.

Cheers,

Eduardo

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Only the wing tip pylons are wired for Sidewinders

One could think they could have easily wired some of the pylons as well. It surprises me to see that as late as 1970 when the F-5E was introduced according to Wikipedia the need for more than 2 sidewinder was not there

Well the largest reasons back then was first the mission types it was designed for did not require more air-air missiles,

and second the fact that the wing pylons available at the time generated a significant amount of drag to the point were they saw the reduction in performance to be a larger negative in Air-Air combat then the extra 2 missiles would be.

This is not a Air superiority fighter and neither was it supposed to be.

The number of missiles you have does not matter as much as how you use them.

And if it could have easily been done by customers some would likely have done it.

But as it is only F-5Es with very major overhauls / upgrades are able to carry 4 air-air missiles.

One could think they could have easily wired some of the pylons as well. It surprises me to see that as late as 1970 when the F-5E was introduced according to Wikipedia the need for more than 2 sidewinder was not there

F-5 was designed as a low-cost, lightweight fighter. For most air-defense roles, the defending nation can afford to launch more than 1 or 2 at a time.

It was never envisioned that the plane would be in a dogfight long enough to need 4 missiles, and the low-cost radar (which didn't exist on the F-5A or F-5B) wasn't capable of significant BVR engagements. Remember, it was designed long before the AIM-7 Sparrow became reliable.

important not to forget that irl you are not some lone hero but a part of a team.

f-5 was designed on the concept of numerical superiority, you only need enough missile for your own target as other flight elements are responsible for their corresponding other targets.

The F-5E Modeled is the USAF F-5E-3,

It's not an export Variant.

The only Pylons in the USAF -3 Variant Wired for Sidewinders are the LAU Wingtip Pylons.

The F-5E was also never widely employed by the USAF and was most successful as an export aircraft. I'm not saying that we should have the capabilities of every variant out there, but maybe don't shoot down the question so easily...

Come check me out on

YouTube!

Twitch!

Have a listen to the Alert 5 Podcast - YOUR source for the latest combat flight simulation news!

2 missiles are preferable to 4? What sophistry.

The real issue is that the choice was made to model the domestic variant, and there is no going back. There should a be a sticky for the topic in the F-5 forum:

Q: Why can't I carry 4 sidewinders?

A: The F-5E3 was only wired to carry 2.

Q: Can you update the F-5 to carry 4 sidewinders?

A: At this point, no, it would be too difficult/too time consuming.

Q: Won't you change your minds?

A: Maybe, someday, we'll see.

Q: Will you change your minds soon?

A: No.

Q: Really?

A: Really.

:chair:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

The armament is four AA missiles of the type Sidewinder AIM-9P, Rafael Shafrir 2 and Rafael Python 3.

Your last photo (with the refuel probe) also shows Python 4

but like others have said, its a totally different beast, thing about DCS modules is that they are very variant specific and usually not the latest one of the platform if you include 3rd party modernizations

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Did not ask to get it changed just try to understand the reasons for it;)

The F-5E was also never widely employed by the USAF and was most successful as an export aircraft. I'm not saying that we should have the capabilities of every variant out there, but maybe don't shoot down the question so easily...

Like it or not, it's the correct answer.

Did not ask to get it changed just try to understand the reasons for it;)

Likely because that's the Variant modeled, because that was the variant with the most accurate data available.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

I'm not arguing that, but maybe you could work on your bedside manner, cupcake :smilewink:

Bluntness comes from having to repeat it over and over again, because once it was stated that the block modeled didn't carry IRM on the underwing pylons, people tried to argue w/ Pictures of Export Variants.

The real issue is that the choice was made to model the domestic variant, and there is no going back. There should a be a sticky for the topic in the F-5 forum:

:thumbup:

+1000

• 3 years later...

The F-5 with the fixed IFR probe probably originated with the F-5C Skoshi Tiger variant that was sent to Vietnam for combat trials.

Intel Core i9-9900K CPU / Ballistix 32GB DDR4 RAM

Asus ROG Maximus XII Z390 Motherboard

Samsung 970 Pro 1TB SSD m.2 / 1200W PSU

Sapphire Vega 64 GPU / Oculus Rift-S VR

Windows 10 / Samsung 24-inch 1080p 144Hz Monitor

DCS v2.5 / F-14B Tomcat / F-5E / P-51D Mustang