F-14B : OPERATION CAGE THE BEAR

kaba

Thanks for pointing this out - I've tweaked so it should automatically succeed if you RTB after hitting some targets. Should be coming in an update soon.

Thanks. Although keep it so he says Winchester. It sounds cool. :)

Modules - F-18, F-16, Spitfire, F-5, Supercarrier, F-14, A10-C, MiG-21, Huey

Yeah. This time I got it right.

Approached airfield from the left side of the base. Destroyed several TU-142's on the first pass while the SAM warning was going nuts due to the SA-6 launcher off in the distance. Took a hard right and accelerated away on burner, which allowed me to out run the SAM and it exploded harmlessly where I had been several seconds earlier. Wingman dropped his bombs and then reported a bandit somewhere. I made one more pass and a killed another plane before breaking off again, in preparation for another pass.

Before I could come back, a MANPAD shot at the Wingman and then I decided I'd pushed my luck enough, called Winchester and headed for the mountains on burner. I instructed my Wingman to join up but he got shot down instead.

Dropped my two remaining bombs in a valley somewhere, because Jester refused to drop them and headed for the carrier. Even well out over the ocean a MiG-25 was back there somewhere trying to lock me until he got killed by the CAP.

Returned to carrier. Caught the one wire(lol). Mission Complete. :)

I see that there are three versions of the Cage the Bear campaign in the sim. How does the standard one differ from the "hot start" and the "cold start" ones?

Thanks

Good question - hot start/ cold start are up to date, the third is legacy and should be deleted in a later update. Please use either the cold or hot start versions.

It would be great to get some tips on the last mission...

So I takeoff, follow the FP to the RV point. Then 4 fighters come to my direction, I send 4 PH on their way. Then what?

I have some problem giving directions to my wingman. If I send him to kill bandits, he usually gets killed either by sam or cant kill a single one.

What I did was use my 4 PH on the first targets, then send the CAP and got one of the other threats with my other missiles. Then I sent the SEAD mission and the bombers. But many more fighters took off and killed my strike force.

I'm still trying to figure out DCS missions, the previous ones went without any problems, this one however is giving me headaches.

Thx for any input!

Ah, so the ones with 'CS' prefix are Cold Start? I'd like to do a ramp-hot start instead of starting hot on the cats, but would that edit mess anything up?

Yes, CS is cold start version. You should be fine with the ramp edit if there is some space left but watch out for the wingman. He stops for nothing on the deck so it's easy to collide.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Wingman com problem

Hello all!

A F-14B - Caucasus - CTB 3 - OCA WEST

in a campaign assignment, I found myself unable to communicate with the wingman from the pilot's position.

I checked in the editor what frequency is set, the default frequency is 124MHz AM which cannot be set on UHF AN / ARC-159 radio only on VHF / UHF AN / ARC-182 radio. When I create a new F-14B unit the default frequency setting is 124 MHz AM.

My question is, is this actually the case that the RIO is communicating with the other machine or is it an error?

Thanks for the help!

Hello all!

A F-14B - Caucasus - CTB 3 - OCA WEST

in a campaign assignment, I found myself unable to communicate with the wingman from the pilot's position.

I checked in the editor what frequency is set, the default frequency is 124MHz AM which cannot be set on UHF AN / ARC-159 radio only on VHF / UHF AN / ARC-182 radio. When I create a new F-14B unit the default frequency setting is 124 MHz AM.

My question is, is this actually the case that the RIO is communicating with the other machine or is it an error?

Thanks for the help!

Hi,

You are able by default to use both radios from the pilot's seat. You will need to keybind both radio keys in your settings. The binds are called:

Mic button UHF1 (ARC-159)

Mic button UHF2 (ARC-182)

Hope this helps, let me know if not.

Just finished 4th mission. That was pretty hardcore Top Gun stuff going on there. After knocking down two MiG-29's at range, then encountering 23's. After killing one with a Sidewinder, I looked down to see my Wingman had one stuck to his tail, so I dove on him with guns and chased him around until he tried to go vertical and received a killing blow.

Then it was back to the carrier. Foolish Wingman never mentioned he was bingo fuel and bailed out just after going feet wet. I made it back and landed with a 4 wire, in hazy visibility and with 2100 lbs of fuel left.

• 1 month later...

Co-op version of the campaign now included (Open Beta 14/02/2020)

Key features

• All missions converted to multiplayer 'single missions'
  • Play with up to two pilots and two RIOs
  • Hot and cold starts possible for each mission - select the relevant slot when joining the mission
  • In-mission options to skip or restart the mission (find these in the ingame Radio menu > F10 submenu)

This is still in Beta - please send me any feedback or bugs that you find!

As always - thanks everyone for all the kind words and constructive feedback

Link to Co-op files if you are having trouble with the new patch:

Just throw the F14 folder into your DCS\Mods\Aircraft folder.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sV1ApFx7R2e2n49A_86HaW3mWtlPMo8G/view?usp=sharing

Edited by kaba

hi, wanted to check the campaign but for some reason i can't spawn in the f-14.

After clicking "fly" i can only see the map and external views of other aircraft.

I thought my f-14 module had lost activation, but thats not the case as other missions work.

Any suggestions? cheers

Spoiler

Modules: FC3, KA-50, MIG-21, F-18, F-14, UH-1H, Spitfire, F-5E, A-10c II, A-4E, SC, F-16, CA, M2000c, BF-109K-4, Mi-24P

Terrains:Nevada, Persian gulf, Normandy + Asset pack, Syria

PC setup:I7 8700k, 32g ram, m2 ssd, gtx 1080ti, Warthog TM, MFG crosswind, Playseat Air Force, Reverb G2

You'd better revert to 2.5.5 to enjoy fully working campaign for now.

Ow, ok so i guess the new update corrupts some of the missions, explains why alot of mp-servers haven't updated yet.

It took me about 6 hours to download the 10 gb update at less then 1 mb/s, so i'll probably just wait for a future fix

Thanks for the reply:)

Spoiler

Modules: FC3, KA-50, MIG-21, F-18, F-14, UH-1H, Spitfire, F-5E, A-10c II, A-4E, SC, F-16, CA, M2000c, BF-109K-4, Mi-24P

Terrains:Nevada, Persian gulf, Normandy + Asset pack, Syria

PC setup:I7 8700k, 32g ram, m2 ssd, gtx 1080ti, Warthog TM, MFG crosswind, Playseat Air Force, Reverb G2

Just had a great time flying mission one with a friend, but i could only join as rio, there was only one jet slot. shouldn't there be two?

Hi, the short answer is - there should be!

I've had reports that the Co-op missions did not come through in the patch.

I've also had reports that the new patch has stopped some people taking off from the carrier

I'm hoping for another hotfix. But I can also provide a download link for the Co-Op missions for people who want to revert back to 2.5.5 due to the bugs. Will get this arranged over the weekend.

Hi, the short answer is - there should be!

I've had reports that the Co-op missions did not come through in the patch.

I've also had reports that the new patch has stopped some people taking off from the carrier

I'm hoping for another hotfix. But I can also provide a download link for the Co-Op missions for people who want to revert back to 2.5.5 due to the bugs. Will get this arranged over the weekend.

Good to know thanks for all the hard work. I just finished mission 3 in singleplayer, that was a good one.