how to start DCS WITHOUT VR on?

BallsOFire

I want to start DCS without using VR sometimes for watching tracks. etc. but if my headset (Odyssey+) is plugged in it always boots WMR and Steam VR. I can't figure out how to close WMR or SVR without it also closing DCS.

I used to run an ACER WMR headset & a different monitor about a year ago and had no issues like this. Now my setup has changed and so has DCS and Windows and I'm having this issue.

Thanks!

I5, GTX1060, TM Warthog A-10C Flightstick, TM TWCS, Odyssey+ WMR

I'm sure someone else has a better idea than mine but I have a shortcut that starts DCS without doing an update check. It speeds launch and login somewhat. It is my normal start for VR. I have a second icon that runs the update that I use to start when I want to disable VR in setup. I'll disable VR in setup before shutting down DCS if I know I'm going to want to play with it on my monitor. It's not quick but it's the best I have thought of.

There might be a way to have a shortcut to start in VR with another to start without VR but I don't know what it is. I'd like to know it if it exists.

Create a copy of DCS shortcut, and change its target to:

"C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe" --force_disable_VR

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

YES++++++1 on the updater utility ;)

• Like 1

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

YES++++++1 on the updater utility ;)

Yep I use the excellent utility any time I need to launch DCS in Monitor rather than VR - great tool!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 1 year later...
On 2/16/2020 at 12:20 AM, Rudel_chw said:

"C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe" --force_disable_VR

I have tried this but i cant modify the target

1 hour ago, Clyber said:

are you using the original shortcut DCS made on your desktop? if so that is not what you are supposed to use.

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

1 hour ago, Clyber said:

Strange, just tried it and it works on my side, I do it like this:

First, I copy the standard DCS shortcut:

dFl7c9T.jpg

Next, I paste it besides:

BFviFh5.jpg

Then I select the properties of the new shortcut:

8EHBV3g.jpg

Note that the target field content is editable, in fact it is already selected. Modify its last part so that it reads: DCS.exe" --force_disable_VR

mpD72du.jpg

Click on OK to save the edit.

Finally, you can rename the new shortcut, by clicking on its name:

td5Qb7d.jpg

edit the text to something you like and press enter to save, like this:

FZopozJ.jpg

Best regards,

Eduardo

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

hmm well it seems you have to copy it, if it was tried on the Original Shortcut DCS put there when installing the game, the DCS_Updater.exe I dont think that will work is what I ment.. if it does my appologies..

Edited by The_Nephilim

On 2/16/2020 at 12:20 AM, Rudel_chw said:

"C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe" 

Thx Nephilim, 

Your right... the icon must  a shortcut not a copy .... i wasnt aware of the diffelrence. 

Thx for your response.

Edited by Clyber

Your Welcome. Did you get it working now? if so great news good luck with it.

22 minutes ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

I recommend Skatezilla’s GUI utility ..

In this case, it's simpler to just double click on a desktop icon.

6 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

In this case, it's simpler to just double click on a desktop icon.

That's true but then Skatezilla's app delivers so much more then the switch between VR and noVR. 

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

1 hour ago, Lange_666 said:

That's true but then Skatezilla's app delivers so much more then the switch between VR and noVR. 

I understand .. I was just trying to help @Clyber with his question in the simplest way possible. Skatezilla's app can do the same, but it's like using a jackhammer when a simple hammer will do.

There is another way... I have a quest 2 and have noticed that if its not powered on DCS will load in 2D mode. It also loads the oculus software and steam VR which if you close either of these will crash DCS. DCS has on a couple of occasions crashed for me during this "forced" 2D mode (enable VR headset always selected) however this has not been recently and so may been part of some earlier OB patches. This is super handy as I basically now have the dual mode that I always wanted.

If you dont use a Quest 2. I would suggest powering off/unplugging your VR headset and launch DCS normally (via desktop/start icon). Maybe for longer term ease of use you can use a USB hub with switchable ports. Probably do the same.

Edited by Hoirtel

On 8/22/2021 at 3:04 PM, =475FG= Dawger said:

I recommend Skatezilla’s GUI utility 

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/134493-the-dcs-updater-gui-utility/

Yeah thx for your response, i know this app but i dont want to install new software just to run in or out of VR the icon modification solution works great. 

Edited by Clyber

On 8/22/2021 at 2:53 PM, The_Nephilim said:

Your Welcome. Did you get it working now? if so great news good luck with it.

Yes Nephilim it works just perfect. I love it. I have learned that copy a icon doesnt necessarily means a shortcut. It might work the same way but modifying them wont be.

Anyway... thx guys for your input.