How good is the Huey? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-11-2019, 03:58 PM   #11
-0303-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frag View Post
303, the Huey is everything you are describing. When I bought it, I thought I could simply increase collective and fly. I WAS SO WRONG. It took me weeks to say that I actually had full control of this chopper. Even today, I am still nervous to fly it when the weather is so so. It is always a challenge and you will learn something new in every flight depending of the condition of the weather as well as where you fly it.

It does sound what I'm looking for. It took me a month to figure out the spitfire, was quite nice to finally get it (and silently laugh at newbies completely screw up the much easier free TF-51D). Helicopters are fundamentally different. I don't expect fly any non-arcade helicopter quickly.
-0303- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:47 PM   #12
Frag

Quote:
Originally Posted by -0303- View Post
It does sound what I'm looking for. It took me a month to figure out the spitfire, was quite nice to finally get it (and silently laugh at newbies completely screw up the much easier free TF-51D). Helicopters are fundamentally different. I don't expect fly any non-arcade helicopter quickly.
If it's the case get it. You will love it. All my other aircraft started to accumulate dust when the Huey entered my hangar. It`s rewarding, fun and you will always feel that you need to master another area of it.
Frag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:37 PM   #13
ElementLT

The Huey is Hell to learn but once you do - she is truly one of DCS's best modules. I enjoy the Huey more than the current flagship modules like the Hornet and Tomcat. I think the Viper will be the only module (if any) that will pull me away from the Huey.

Server IP : 173.208.245.194:10308
Join Our Discord : https://discord.gg/5BhQqZC
LIVE MAP & STATS: https://thefraternitysim.com/
System: i7 8700K, 32GG Ram @ 3200, 500gb SSD m.2, X56 Pro HOTAS, Rift S VR, 2080 Ti Black
ElementLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:50 PM   #14
BaD CrC

Helicopters are generally speaking difficult to fly. More than any fixed wings. Actually a very good FW pilot will be a terrible RW one. You think the Spit was difficult to land? You have seen nothing.
The Huey is the simplest of the RW modules system wise, with an excellent flight model. Good for beginners in RW.

8086K delid @5.1Ghz under EKWB Water, 2080Ti FE, 32Gb DDR4, 970Pro NvME.
BaD CrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:23 PM   #15
xvii-Dietrich

Quote:
I'm thinking about getting my first helicopter. UH-1 is the iconic helicopter, so therefore ... having had extensive and ongoing use, there should be tons of loadouts modeled for it.
In some ways, the UH-1H has the least loadout options modelled (see previous posts in this thread). But it does have a hoist and it does have the ability to carry troops, so that makes it rather flexible.

Personally, I find the UH-1H a bit "arcadey" for weapons. Those AI mini-gunners chew through anything on the ground. If you do want something more challenging, turn the AI-gunner-skill down in the Mission Editor.

Quote:
I want a 'difficult' helicopter. Difficult is not the right word. With a learning curve perhaps. I fly the spitfire a lot because it is a bit demanding to land. Above all I'm looking for fidelity in modeling and systems.
I found the UH-1H impossible when I first started. It was only the Gazelle that taught me how to fly a helicopter, after which I've gone back and learned all the DCS helicopters. The Gazelle remains my favourite. I know others hate it, but I find it is perfectly okay for what I want to do. But, given what you wrote, and knowing you're coming from a warbird background (I did too), then the UH-1H or Mi-8 is probably the way to go. I think the Mi-8 is slightly better, in terms of complexity of the cockpit, but the UH-1H is still very good.

That said, knowing what I know now, to get started I'd recommend a) making sure you have a good frame rate (FPS > 30), b) remove any "curvature" in your roll/pitch axis controls and c) reduce the Y-saturation a bit (I use 75%). That, and watch some RL helicopter training videos.

Quote:
I don't expect anything to be perfect but I really want (require?) ongoing incremental improvements to everything ... flight modeling, system modeling ... etc
Wishing for "occasional" improvements, maybe. But "ongoing" improvements is probably a bit much to ask. Sooner or later, all modules get put on the developers' shelf, as they work on other projects. Sometimes they sit idle for years. And, at some point, the law of diminishing returns cuts in, and development fizzles out.

That said, all current DCS helicopters have had an update/fix/patch/something at some point during this year. And, in the case of the Ka-50, there is a major overhaul currently underway.

Mi-8 (Jan'2019) : https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...&postcount=179
UH-1H (Apr'2019) : https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...&postcount=191
SA342 (Jun'2019) : https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...6&postcount=35
Ka-50 (Jul'2019) : https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...&postcount=205
xvii-Dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:33 PM   #16
Preendog

On a similar note, does the Huey have any finicky downsides or frustrations that might scare off a newer player with a cheap joystick?

I want to love the Ka-50 but the semi-random blade clash deaths have made me rage quit one too many times. From watching people fly it online, the Huey looks more chill and forgiving to throw around, is that the case?
Preendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:01 AM   #17
KTFBGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preendog View Post
On a similar note, does the Huey have any finicky downsides or frustrations that might scare off a newer player with a cheap joystick?

I want to love the Ka-50 but the semi-random blade clash deaths have made me rage quit one too many times. From watching people fly it online, the Huey looks more chill and forgiving to throw around, is that the case?
No the KA-50 is much more maneuverable and has a top speed about 150 knots faster than the Huey. It goes about as fast as the Warthog in level flight. So, yes the Huey is more chill, no you can’t throw it around like you can the KA-50. If you are having mast slapping you are over G’ing the bird. It has nothing to do with your stick. It’s not random lol.
KTFBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:35 AM   #18
Preendog

You know what I meant and that is a rude response. Is it possible to move the stick to a position under normal speeds where the Huey insta-dies?
Preendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:47 AM   #19
KTFBGB

Yes
KTFBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 05:09 AM   #20
Elor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preendog View Post
You know what I meant and that is a rude response. Is it possible to move the stick to a position under normal speeds where the Huey insta-dies?
Sort of:
You can produce mast bumping just like in the real bird. For that you need to do some zero G maneuver (unload the rotor) and the pull sharply back on the stick. The rotor will brake off instantly. But that doesn't happen that often and when you know it you can avoid it.

Another thing is dropping the collective too quickly while being in a hover and drop into your own vortexes. If you don't maneuver the bird out of that quickly you'll drop like a stone.

Last edited by Elor; 07-13-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Elor is offline   Reply With Quote