What a thoroughbred. All I can say.

msalama

Guys, I am butt over teakettle in love with our Dora, having only recently started flying her although I bought her on day one - been busy with other AC and stuff. And I'm not even a fighter pook, but just a lowly groundpounder. Still, she's probably the best virtual WW2 plane I've ever flown.

Giving praise to a company and/or a product easily gets you branded as a fanboy these days. Who cares. Because if you ask me, this bird is the absolute pinnacle of WW2 aircraft modelling. No other in any other sim comes even close.

Brilliantly done ED. And especially Yo-Yo, who's supposedly behind the FM. Now some folks think DCS WW2 is dead in the water, but they're just wrong. So thanks again guys, am eagerly waiting for the Mossie, because it cannot be but brilliant with the bar set this high.

S!

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Yes, she is. It's being a while since last time I took a ride but I specially like the feeling of the CoG change when fuel tanks go empty. When you're in the forward tank alone and the rear one's empty you can really understand what they meant when they said Fw190 was such a manoeuvrable aircraft and she rolled fast.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

udden unexplainable engine failures

None so far, although as stated I'm a groundpounder and thus seldomly stress the engine to its limits and beyond.

I haven't experienced the engine failure yet. I do fly at a max of 1.5 ata though. More testing to do....

And I agree with the OP. The Dora is one of my all time favorites. I hope ED continues to fix her and develop other WWII birds.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, having flown her a bit more now I'm still of the opinion that she's probably the best virtual warbird I've ever seen. Haven't blown the engine once either, but as a groundpounder, this is probably due to my handling her quite conservatively and keeping an eye on the temps. But as I said already, she's a real thoroughbred; and it'll all only get better and better with the Thunderbolt and the Mossie coming.

We're at the beginning still, but if - and as - the quality level is this high, I'm predicting DCS WW2 will wipe the bloody floor with the competition as it matures. Top job gents, just keep the bar up there and I'm certain they'll come in droves!

Edited by msalama

DCS WWII birds are already the finest out there. We just need more aircraft, both AI and player controlled, as well as more maps. I think the WWII era stuff is going to get a lot more attention once more aircraft are released.

As for engine failures, try the following:

1. only use MW50 as an absolute emergency boost. If you fly the Dora as recommended which is pretty much boom n zoom you are still the fastest horse in town. Your speed will always be top of the line as long as you don't get jumped from one of the allied planes by surprise.

2. Work the radiators, map them to your Hotas and watch the temps. You will see that your temps drop quickly by opening the rads just two or three clicks. Give her a little break but keep the speed up.

3. She hates going slow or even worse going high AoA's while beeing slow. Give her constant airflow, avoid slow and verical maneuvers at all costs.

4. Avoid flying low for a longer period of time, it seems the Dora doesn't like beeing near the deck. Never had an engine failure at high altitude like 3000 m or so.

5. Do not kick the throttle back and forth. Bad for all prop engines. Gentle mate !

I was about to quit flying the Dora because of those sudden engine blows ... after paying attention and working the radiators, never had a single engine blow on me ever since. And I had my MW50 running for minutes because of mustangs chasing me. It seems to be a combination off the above described things to keep the engine running and maybe a lot more. This just worked for me, now I need to learn to roll her proper arround an enemy.