Why is it So hard to land the MI 8

I hopped on a server which had a mission that was exported by someone who'd somehow got the game mode flight model for the Mi-8 - it was absurdly stable, in fact rapidly got annoyingly stable. The Mi-8 *is* nice & stable, and pretty sedate compared to the light helicopters as you might imagine though. It's just heavy, and you notice it, and has a lot of torque & your feet definitely notice that.

I'm a little suspicious of the Huey honestly, is it really that twitchy IRL?

THANK YOU! "Sedate" is exactly how id describe the MI8. dont get me wrong, it has certain advantages- it allows you to focus on improving other skills, such as sling load and radio navigation and such. i just couldnt match other peoples experiences of instability in the mi8 compared to mine

as for the huey, its exactly as i expected a helo to be, if you read bob mason's "chicken hawk" (perhaps the best pilot - or viet nam- memoir ive ever read), the huey responds pretty much as he explained it: particularly in the portions dealing with training to be a pilot. i really cant recommend that book enough.

by the way, richard...why no avatar of your namesake?

s-l300.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

THANK YOU! "Sedate" is exactly how id describe the MI8. dont get me wrong, it has certain advantages- it allows you to focus on improving other skills, such as sling load and radio navigation and such. i just couldnt match other peoples experiences of instability in the mi8 compared to mine

as for the huey, its exactly as i expected a helo to be, if you read bob mason's "chicken hawk" (perhaps the best pilot - or viet nam- memoir ive ever read), the huey responds pretty much as he explained it: particularly in the portions dealing with training to be a pilot. i really cant recommend that book enough.

by the way, richard...why no avatar of your namesake?

Yeah, I've read Chickenhawk a couple of times - I'm aware of short-throw joystick issues & all, but I'm still a tiny bit suspicious about how reactive the Huey is, it's not *that* light a helicopter ( land a Gazelle next to one... ). There've been a couple of remarks that the Mi-8 is a bit responsive, even. They are what they are, though.

You can throw the Mi-8 around quite ridiculously, just don't expect it to react quickly - you have to think a few seconds ahead, is all. It's a truck vs the Huey's Jeep vs the Gazelle's trials bike.

Heh I should probably get round to setting an avatar one day...

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

So maybe it's not just me. Perhaps flying the mi8 really is like driving a school bus.

I just couldn't see why other people were having problems with what is perhaps the most forgiving of below in dcs. I assumed I accidentally set something that removed any challenge from this airframe

And maybe once you update that avatar, perhaps you can finally catch that pigeon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

Huey is pretty common, lots of YouTube videos in cockpit. It is described as very responsive and deceptively powerful.

Dcs rudders are not responsive enough to match the rudder authority in the real huey as far as I'm aware. You need to introduce a negative curve of like -15 into your rudder axis to get it closer. Educated guess, I'm not a huey pilot

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Huey is pretty common, lots of YouTube videos in cockpit. It is described as very responsive and deceptively powerful.

Dcs rudders are not responsive enough to match the rudder authority in the real huey as far as I'm aware. You need to introduce a negative curve of like -15 into your rudder axis to get it closer. Educated guess, I'm not a huey pilot

Me neither. ;)

That's interesting, I modeled my pedals so the physical movement was about the same as the "virtual" movement in game and I don't feel the need for curves.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I'm not sure what's going on with my set up. I find the mi8 to be incredibly sedate and predictable no matter what i try with it. Compared to what some people's experiences have been, the mi8 has been the easiest of all the helos for me. I've looked to see if I have some sort of "training wheels " option selected somewhere, but can't find any such thing. The huey is like trying to balance a basketball on a traffic cone, it takes constant attention and isn't forgiving of distractions.the gazelle is fun to fly, but it's intent on killing me when I try to land.

The Gazelle was said to be like balancing a bowling ball on a peanut! Then I flew the Robinson R22!

I read that book about 800 years ago, but I have flashbacks every time I utterly fail to keep a Huey in a stable hover for more than about five seconds; or crash every time I fail to land it.

Balancing a bowling ball on a traffic cone? I find myself watching the airshow cones move around quite a bit. I've gotten used to the look of terror on the co-pilot's face as he jumps out the moment I spawn...the least he could do is close the door behind him.

• 1 month later...
I'm not sure what's going on with my set up. I find the mi8 to be incredibly sedate and predictable no matter what i try with it. Compared to what some people's experiences have been, the mi8 has been the easiest of all the helos for me. I've looked to see if I have some sort of "training wheels " option selected somewhere, but can't find any such thing. The huey is like trying to balance a basketball on a traffic cone, it takes constant attention and isn't forgiving of distractions.the gazelle is fun to fly, but it's intent on killing me when I try to land.

The Gazelle was said to be like balancing a bowling ball on a peanut! Then I flew the Robinson R22!

Yeah I recently flew a Cabri G2 and the sensitivity was pretty much identical to the Gazelle in DCS - I have a VKB Gunfighter with extension, the controls were just really heavy in the G2 compared to my spring-loaded VKB which made it tricky to be super-sensitive but still put a fair bit of grunt behind tiny movements.

But hovering the Cabri IRL was a piece of cake after flying the DCS Gazelle.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

to fly the mi-8 well you got to stop flying it like how you want to or expect it too. that is your first mistake. Mi-8 is very maneuverable but all too often i see and talk to people flying around not understanding the relationship between the Automatic engine control, rotor RPM and blade angle/collective. balance these 3 things and you can do alot of things and flying so much smoother and stable. and to prove my point here is video sample of what the mi-8 can done when the sweet spot is found

its a big helicopter so it moves alot more air and thus creates a much larger down wash so you have to move the heli much further than others to get/keep in clean air and stay out of your own rotor wash. which again is another common mistake i have seen.

And also its nothing like a school bus. if someone compares the mi-8 as a school bus to a hueys sports car (which i have seen all to often) then they are out of touch with the world, somehow in there mind a school bus has a better max speed (290kph level, 370kph in dive,) better cruse speed (230kph), larger payload (weapons and external sling), can do backflips and other aerobatics from ground level not 1000ft high, can fly further on a single tank of gas than a sports car huey XD

also large helis are much more maneuverable IRL than most public people think, example CH-53 test flights

Edited by BlackFoxNZ
spelling