Why the MI-8?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's "ugly" in the sense of a very utilitarian look -- and that's what I love about Russian hardware. That said, I can't wait for the Mi-8 and, hopefully soon -- the Mi-24 Hind. :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

It's not ugly... I always thought it's pretty hip

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Personally, I only fly western planes/helicopters lately because I prefer their avionics and cockpits in general. I always feel lost in Russian cockpits.

That being said, I always respected Russian hardware for their reliability and durability. I might look into the Mi-8 once it comes out... could be interesting.

EDIT: Good one Boris :lol:

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Those Ruskies really know how to build choppers.

They seem to know how to build top notch air superiority fighters too!

I think from an armed/utility helicopter point of view the MI-8 will be top dog in DCS, but I will always love my Huey too.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Seriously, how can someone not like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=84029&stc=1&d=1372070910

But seriously, I am really looking forward to the MI-8. Ofcourse, it might not be everybodys all time favourite, but still it's one great looking machine in my oppinion. :thumbup:

I'm defiantly adding this to my hanger.

mmm When is ED going to make or change our purchase area to i.e. Mastiffs Hanger

instead of Mastiff's Purchased stuff?

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

I know I'm new to this site but I thought I'd say a little something. The Mi-8 is like having me fly an AC-130 gunship. It's not agile, yea it's fast for a straight wing prop driven aircraft, but I would rather fly a fighter of course. In this case I hope it turns out to be a bit more than that, though I'm sure the developers are going to make a great work of art out of it as with the grand old Huey!

A wish that would come true for me would be the AH-1F, or the Super Cobra! Ah, yes, the Cobra would run along side the Huey perfectly as the Cobra was based on the Huey, the reason why it was initially dubbed Huey Cobra. Will that be next in line after the Mi-8?

Me

Duke of Montebello, Marshal of the Empire

Marshal on http://cossacksworld.ucoz.co.uk/

A little question for the team of Belsimtek:

I'm so excited by this Mi-8, please can you tell us if you have a release date ?

Best regards. Skull

... It will probably be easier or harder? :huh:

The flying part should be easier. But there are more switches and doohickeys, so that part may be a little harder.

EDIT: And regarding agility...well, it is certainly less agile than other western aircraft. Mostly because the hydraulic system just can't keep up with rapid control movements. Surely it's no slouch, but yanking the controls around too fast can result in locking up the hydraulics.

Edited by AlphaOneSix

Are you kidding?

Agility is not the word which springs to mind while watching this.. Stability, controllability, etc. yes, but agility? The keywords here are quick and nimble and Mi-8 doesn't really fit those (not that one should expect it to do so).

a·gil·i·ty noun

1. the power of moving quickly and easily; nimbleness: exercises demanding agility.

2. the ability to think and draw conclusions quickly; intellectual acuity.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I think we need the MD-500 to understand this word.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Agility is not the word which springs to mind while watching this.. Stability, controllability, etc. yes, but agility? The keywords here are quick and nimble and Mi-8 doesn't really fit those (not that one should expect it to do so).

a·gil·i·ty noun

1. the power of moving quickly and easily; nimbleness: exercises demanding agility.

2. the ability to think and draw conclusions quickly; intellectual acuity.

Well when you compared with this Kind Agility, not is not at all :D

But serious, The mi-8 is not in this category to open a debate of the agility, because this Heli is not made for acrobacy guys. This chopper can a lot of things. The capability to do all what you Need is the most important Thing of this one, and do well...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]