1 hr flight with the pony

WildBillKelsoe

Just completed a 1 hr mission using various engine configuration (without superblower hi).

track:

regarding 1.2.0.5... how big is the update to 1.2.1.6....?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

regarding 1.2.0.5... how big is the update to 1.2.1.6....?

It is a complete reinstall. Over 5GB.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Hi Bill,

I've been trying some long range stuff as well - to test what the motor does - am building up to a max range test at some point :D i.e. if I get a spare day :)

Can you summarise your experience of motor control / problem in your trk when you've get a mo - forgive me but watching a 1 hr track is not to appealing - don't worry if you don't have time.

I've found the engine control a fun challenge but feels like a few tweaks are needed tho, but excellent stuff nonetheless - thanks as always ED!

I've run Full mil power for 13 mins without incident - must test more - but very encouraging - was worried it was going to be a chocolate engine:)

The long range jobs are from Viziani to whatever the most NW base is, with full int / ext tanks - starting the short way and am working on the long way:)

I've found that general temp control works fine but I needed to level off at 10-15K ft as I use up the ext tanks (otherwise over heat), then I can climb at 1k FPM until 25k (where I'm sticking at the mo until more short range tests...).

The auto duct controls seem not quite as responsive / sensitive as I would like, so use manual control mostly (didn't realise you need to hold those switches down for 10-15 secs to fully cycle). Yeah I know RTFM!! But in short can keep the engine below the red line no problem.

The thing that keeps bringing me down (literally) is the 'overboost' issue - you decrease the

prop speed / increase prop AOA as you get higher, but at the same time you need to keep MP as high as pos at height (relatively speaking) - and then without warning no engine.

The problem is I have no frame of reference to judge what is too much MP V RPM, and what is safe - are there tables or should there be vibrations / noises before hand? Anyone?

Anyways hope you get a chance to summarise your engine seize cause - no worries if not.

It is a complete reinstall. Over 5GB.

sorry I meant from 1.2.1.5... to 1.2.1.6...

Cuz I have P-51D gold and WEP has been implemented indeed. Its just that everytime I connect online I get world is updating without knowing how long or how much... perhaps mods can be a lickle disclosing to the size of the update..

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Its just that everytime I connect online I get world is updating without knowing how long or how much...

Nobody else (outside of ED) does either.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Can you summarise your experience of motor control / problem in your trk when you've get a mo - forgive me but watching a 1 hr track is not to appealing - don't worry if you don't have time.

I've run Full mil power for 13 mins without incident - must test more - but very encouraging - was worried it was going to be a chocolate engine:)

The long range jobs are from Viziani to whatever the most NW base is, with full int / ext tanks - starting the short way and am working on the long way:)

I've found that general temp control works fine but I needed to level off at 10-15K ft as I use up the ext tanks (otherwise over heat), then I can climb at 1k FPM until 25k (where I'm sticking at the mo until more short range tests...).

The auto duct controls seem not quite as responsive / sensitive as I would like, so use manual control mostly (didn't realise you need to hold those switches down for 10-15 secs to fully cycle). Yeah I know RTFM!! But in short can keep the engine below the red line no problem.

The thing that keeps bringing me down (literally) is the 'overboost' issue - you decrease the

prop speed / increase prop AOA as you get higher, but at the same time you need to keep MP as high as pos at height (relatively speaking) - and then without warning no engine.

The problem is I have no frame of reference to judge what is too much MP V RPM, and what is safe - are there tables or should there be vibrations / noises before hand? Anyone?

Anyways hope you get a chance to summarise your engine seize cause - no worries if not.

Hey Vman,

Well to put my findings I need further testing, but I can say the prop ceased after pushing the gate stop, and I've been in a dive from 10,000 feet and throttle and rpm both closed.

Most of the flight, I stayed below red marks on RPM and MP. Alternating when looking at the engine oil temperature, from high to low, and using nothing more than air scoops for temp control.

I never red lined the oil though.

The prop ceased at the very very end because I moved past 5 mins in WEP.

In the mean time, I plan to conduct high altitude tests, ceiling tests, and medium altitude tests. I'll update with my findings.

Cheers,

WBK out

Hey Bill,

Blimey mate, your into territory I've not tried even straight and level yet, let alone in a steep dive:)

Must try WEP - I've been trying to work out the basics first Straight and level.

Sounds like your having a blast tho! This bird's fun to learn no matter what way you go about it!

It's going to be very difficult to work out what the problem might be when it occurs either as a result of, or at least during a dive - there are so many dynamic effects on cooling, airflow, pressure etc. Only a suggestion but 'blow it' in straight and level, then you'll at least be able to narrow it down.

Like I said I've not cooked it yet but keep having problems with 'over-boost' - I'm sure I'll cook it once I start trying WEP.

Keep us posted on the progress.

S! V

Edited by VIMANAMAN
More detail