DCS:Syria Map FAQ

Wags

This looks great! Thank you. Maybe, if the community supports this project financially, we can see an update with a bit more sea / land similar to what happened with the PG Map.

Thanks again!

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

I love how mountainious this map is! :joystick:

I hope the mountain high resolution, as mountains in the DCS are extremely weak.

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

Will the map feature a satmap/orthomap layer, like persian gulf and nttr?

On all the screenshot the camera is relatively close to the ground, so it's hard to tell if satmaps are used...

Edited by twistking

• ED Team
Will the map feature a satmap layer, like persian gulf and nttr?

On all the screenshot the camera is relatively close to the ground, so it's hard to tell if satmaps are used...

Yes there will be a sat map layer.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

This

Also, any chance of getting a Jordanian F16 skin now that we have a Jordanian base?

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3309335/

Yhadeed06/04/2020 18:13:04

Yes noticed, i'll work on the new RJAF livery soon.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

There will be a lot missing from the map of Syria. I thought it would encompass all Syria.
In truth the eastern Siria is the desert part, the one people complained about being similar to the current PG map. It would be nice to have it all of course, but the populated area of that map is the strip next to the Mediterranean.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

+1

@BIGNEWY Any info on whether this map has increased mesh resolution? Cliffs, mountains, similar to Channel or Mariannas?

It was stated in the newsletter I think that this is the first map that completely uses the new terrain tech/tools.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This will be a early access buy for me. I have waited for this region forever only wish they make twice the size but I know it will only have 1 FPS at time... maybe some day.

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

Now all we need is a big freaking Mid Eastern Assets Pack !!!

Don't forget the mobile military kitchen for the folks in Latakia Air Base (Khmeimim/Hmeymim Air Base) :smilewink:

Speaking about Khmeimim or Hmeymim Air Base ... a serious question arises actually.

Does DCS Syria map therefore even include actual Hmeymim Air Base built by the Russian Military? Becuause that's what Hmeymim Airbase is, to my knowledge, a unique case, it is it's own whole area that happens to be inter-connected with the runway-s of the civilian airport, "sharing some of the facilities", but Russian Military has been expanding and building more military-exclusive facilities to the West as years went by so I beleive it's quite independent as of now, even tho it may have always been independent from the civilian facilities. And then there's the question of what level/status of expansion it will be in DCS (I guess we can figure that out once released, no need to answer)

The Russian-English and Russian-Native media AFAIK always referrs to it as the Latakia / Khmeimim Air Base, and never with the name of the civilian one, apparently: Bassel Al-Assad Intl. Airport, which I'm not sure if it was operational during the war, so this may have added to the confusion because it then operated only with military aircraft and thus it looked as if it's either a different place or it got renamed.

The timeline of the DCS Syria map we would expect is perhaps pre-2011 or pre-war, we want the buildings all good and shiny as usual, not a wasteland out of the box, but I guess some areas/parts could be exceptions of that timeline and this looks like to be one (or even some kind of a dynamic evolution-construction thing in the live map in future if terrain tech allows it, to avoid having multiple versions of a map)

I checked again now, as per (excuse my low effort I'm a tad in a hurry) the heavily unreliable source called Wikipedia, it says that the Latakia/Khmeimim Air Base uses/shares some facilities of the civilian airport, but I know from myself from following the conflict news that it was built and expanded heavily during the years from all the sat images I've seen, those were all Russian constructions that built/converted it to military use, but I didn't fully research the subject yet I'm a bit outdated on the latest happenings.

As always I don't want to do a half-baked job so I stuck and searched for some of the satellite shots. (This post has been heavily edited for the past 2 hours, I originally intended to only leave a small comment)

VGYzAoF.jpg

9dgOdZz.jpg

DhwbiLC.jpg

dDdoJgh.jpg

If this separation is really the case (that the second runway was used only for military and the facilities for military were built ... "turned kinda into two airfileds with each 1 runway" theory) then it's fair to consider at separating these two to indicate both of them with their own icon, name/label on the DCS Syria map (and the underlying code ofcourse, Airfield Resources), still it's a stretch because it's a dillema of following officiality or just going along with the military reality, in truth the military airport is not (yet?) officially designated with it's international IDs and stuff, ... will it ever be, do the Russian Military need the separation, but there's a shot if the Russian Military internally regards it as separate and officially uses it without referencing the civilian side for their reports to the govt, perhaps, maybe we should ask them. Or do they just mirror/copy all the IDs/monikers of the civilian airport and only change the name?

Then there's the question if the separation actually matters in-sim, if it has any impact on gameplay whatsoever, other than names/labels and conveniences or lack thereof.

Other than that you can look on google earth/maps now, but google has the old shot it's been like this for a few years, clearly a second runway under construction, the practical separation is clear, the mid-western part is the civilian side while the whole northern part is military.

Since DCS is military oriented I think it should weight to the separation of some sort or some kind of a compromise, something unique because this is out of the ordinary I would assume, ...

1. Officer: So where did that Flanker land yesterday?
  2. Pilot: At Bassel Al-Assad.
  3. Officer: Where?
  4. Pilot: At Hmeymim Air Base.
  5. Officer: Oh, so he landed at Bassel Al-Assad and then taxied into the Hmeymim Air Base, which has no runways?:smartass:
  6. Pilot: Say what?

I guess you guys can add it to one of those pilot jokes if ... I assume would exist. Like, umm, (if the movies are correct) when the pilot comes home and tells a story, haha, and then he landed in Hmeymim with no runways, bwahahaha :doh:

EDIT: Oh... this looks familiar, it took me a number of times to even figure it out, wrote the whole post meanwhile ...

attachment.php?attachmentid=239735&d=1592089322

That looks pretty freaking good there holy smokes!

Edited by Worrazen
  • Like 1

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

In truth the eastern Siria is the desert part, the one people complained about being similar to the current PG map. It would be nice to have it all of course, but the populated area of that map is the strip next to the Mediterranean.

S!

Waiting for the videos to decide on the purchase. I hope it is not as heavy as the channel map as many are claiming. :thumbup:

It was stated in the newsletter I think that this is the first map that completely uses the new terrain tech/tools.

I hope that in the future Persian Gulf and Nevada will be able to receive all new ED technologies on the ground.

Firstly, from the images provided, this map looks absolutely spectacular. Well done Ugra Media! :thumbup:

Without doubt, this general area is the one I've wished for the most over the years.

Like most everyone else though, I just wish there was more area included, but lines have to be drawn somewhere.

In the short term I'd be verry keen to see more ocean and Cyprus included to the west of this map. Not only to include the airfields of Cyprus but also to give some realistic manoeuvring/ operating space for carriers and shipping from different nations. I wouldn't mind if this meant just coastline and terrain mesh for areas north and south of the current map (Like we have in the Caucuses Map).

Longer term, perhaps more of Israel/ Egypt to the south?

How large is the map?

It is approximately 600 km north to south and 500 km east to west.

What a great time to be in DCS! Thank you so much for all the work on this map. The Israeli community is "chomping at the bits" counting every minute up to release :beer:

I have a question regarding the above quoted FAQ item.

600km x 500km is the whole map? or just the detailed area?

What is the dimensions of the lower detail area "frame" of the map?

On the West side, will the ocean be land blocked?

shameless plug: we need F-4E Phantom and AH-1S Cobra for this map ;)

Thanks!

IAF.ViFF

http://www.preflight.us

Israel's Combat Flight Sim Community Website

Why do they have to use identical trees all the time? Only 1 template per treetype? There are no identical trees in nature. You know, identical sprites are from the time when Super Mario was jumping around. Today it can be done better. Please!

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3