Spitfire is now (2.5.6) a complete weathervane on Carrier deck

At least at Carrier 25 knots. Maybe there's a technique to it but taxiing on deck can now only be done very gingerly, slowly, with constant braking. This will easily overheat the engine just trying to taxi to the rear. You have to "fight it" to make it turn around from into wind, to facing rearwards. Unless standing on brakes, if released it will swing back by itself from halfway like a ... weather-vane. I distinctly remember 2.5.5 (also carrier 25 knots) not acting like this at all (or very greatly reduced).

Maybe it's true behavior. 25 knots = 46 km/h = 29 mph. That is not insignificant wind. In flying school (gliders) we're taught about the "wind gradient". Very shortly, this is the fact that wind speed drops very rapidly very close to ground (see pic), in my school height scale started 10 meter above ground (at top). Great importance for stall speed. If flying into 30 knots head wind at 10 meters with airplanes stall speed, you may stall and crash from 5 meter where wind speed has dropped to 15 knots and you're suddenly below stall speed.

Nimitz class Carrier have 57 feet (17.4 meter) from sea level to deck. There's no trees, no hills, no grass, not much if any wind gradient effect I guess. Anyway, intuitively I believe wind is strong over deck so maybe this is correct. That is, corrected in 2.5.6. Need to try taxi on stationary CV.

8HnllG1.png

Edited by -0303-

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

Well, it looks realistic to me,

also, applying your glider wind gradient example, don't forget the deck of the Carrier is maybe 60 ft height, so, the wind at that height should be more intense than at MSL...

I don't think DCS's weather model encompasses the modelling of turbulent flow due to structures, but IRL the deck of a carrier in a windy day should actually be even more tricky due to that...

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

also, applying your glider wind gradient example, don't forget the deck of the Carrier is maybe 60 ft height, so, the wind at that height should be more intense than at MSL...

That's exactly what I wrote. Including a link verifying the height as 57 feet. The reason I brought up wind gradient was to speculate there is no wind gradient on Carrier deck.

Edited by -0303-

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

Having spent some time on the decks of USN ships at sea and in port, I can say that it is almost always windy on the deck of a ship of any meaningful size, especially at sea. A carrier deck 60 ft up, making way on the ocean will have a breeze at least equal to the sum of the ship's speed and the prevailing wind.

When launching or receiving aircraft, the carrier will be pointed into the wind and making its best speed, so winds of 45+ knots from bow to stern are about the minimum you should expect.

cheers

horseback

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"Here's your new Mustangs boys--you can learn to fly 'em on the way to the target!" LTCOL Don Blakeslee, late February 1944

It does seem to be about wind. Landed on regular Stennis and then Super Carrier Roosevelt (same trip, jumped from one to the other). Both at 9 knots. Weathervane effect non detectable.

Doesn't change I distinctly remember this effect not this pronounced before 2.5.6. Not insisting it's wrong, just different.

The server gave me clipped wing instead of full wing. But I can't imagine that making a difference.