Sim pit Chairs or custom built?

Strikeeagle345

good afternoon everyone. I am looking for suggestions on chairs to use for my desk (considering custom building a frame to. may build a chair / seat if there are any good write-ups or ideas you all may have). I prefer to fly with my stick center mounted and want to avoid using a desk mount as I like it to be lower and close to the chair / seat like the real deal.

Thanks for the help in advance.:joystick:

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

good afternoon everyone. I am looking for suggestions on chairs to use for my desk (considering custom building a frame to. may build a chair / seat if there are any good write-ups or ideas you all may have). I prefer to fly with my stick center mounted and want to avoid using a desk mount as I like it to be lower and close to the chair / seat like the real deal.

Thanks for the help in advance.:joystick:

This is a computer chair that I dressed up to look like a ejection seat.I fly TAW with it There's 16 switches on the seat itself (wireless) with a custom Hotas with 13 switches, have a wireless keyboard and mouse, so I have only one usb cable to connect(that was the plan when I built this thing)

IMG_1765_zpsrd3syf6y.jpg

IMG_1766_zps9domd41h.jpg

Marc..

This is a computer chair that I dressed up to look like a ejection seat.I fly TAW with it There's 16 switches on the seat itself (wireless) with a custom Hotas with 13 switches, have a wireless keyboard and mouse, so I have only one usb cable to connect(that was the plan when I built this thing)

IMG_1765_zpsrd3syf6y.jpg

IMG_1766_zps9domd41h.jpg

Marc..

Marc this is very interesting. Do you have any close up pics of the "arm"?

I use an old Ikea Poang that we had to hand.

Looks like this:

ikea-poang-chair-cushion-replacement-chair-cushion-replacement-ikea-poang-chair-and-ottoman.jpg

I was very conscious that I didn't want a swivel chair, as that complicates the use of rudder pedals.

Key benefits of the Poang (for me):

- Already to hand, so free. Even if I had to buy it, it's a LOT cheaper than dedicated units

- It's VERY comfortable. After all, it's designed as a lounge chair

- It's made of wood, allowing me to basically screw on a couple of squares of wood on either arm. The left hand square has my throttle and a trackball mounted. The right, a mouse pad. My joystick is a VPC T50, which requires a mount. For that, all I used was a L shaped wall shelf mount, again, just screwed onto the right leg of the chair

Issues:

- It's hardly great looking, but frankly I don't care

- It's lower than most tables and by some margin. My solution was to improvise a shelf under my desk, onto which I've put my keyboard

- With it's design and my keyboard position, there really isn't the space for a centre mounted joystick

Overall, I love it.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Hope this thread gets a lot of posts ! I'm looking to VR my world's ugliest cockpit , and chair adaptations would go a long way to improving things :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I was very conscious that I didn't want a swivel chair, as that complicates the use of rudder pedals.

- Already to hand, so free. Even if I had to buy it, it's a LOT cheaper than dedicated units

- It's made of wood, allowing me to basically screw on a couple of squares of wood on either arm. The left hand square has my throttle and a trackball mounted. The right, a mouse pad. My joystick is a VPC T50, which requires a mount. For that, all I used was a L shaped wall shelf mount, again, just screwed onto the right leg of the chair

Issues:

- It's lower than most tables and by some margin. My solution was to improvise a shelf under my desk, onto which I've put my keyboard

- With it's design and my keyboard position, there really isn't the space for a centre mounted joystick

Overall, I love it.

Good points. On this chair I have the rudder on the stick and I needed something that can be moved around for when I watch TV. There's all kind of consideration when wanting a gaming chair, I have 3, different height, whith , style, it depends what I fly

That's the setup I prefered in the ones I built, compact, light and easy to move around

20170131_111231_zps86m3pnzv.jpg

Same one but more stuff on it

pit%201_zps87aoybjs.jpg

IMG_1754_zpsy7qhhpey.jpg

Marc..

Edited by Marcq

Good points. On this chair I have the rudder on the stick and I needed something that can be moved around for when I watch TV. There's all kind of consideration when wanting a gaming chair, I have 3, different height, whith , style, it depends what I fly

That's the setup I prefered in the ones I built, compact, light and easy to move around

20170131_111231_zps86m3pnzv.jpg

Same one but more stuff on it

pit%201_zps87aoybjs.jpg

IMG_1754_zpsy7qhhpey.jpg

Marc..

Interesting . How did you fix the sides for controllers ? And the elbow rest ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Interesting . How did you fix the sides for controllers ? And the elbow rest ?

This is the side mount drawing, if you look at the pic of my prefered setup, you'll see what I mean

Playseat_zpsuigwwuza.jpg

The elbow mount, I'll try to take pics or drawing, very easy to make

Marc..

Edited by Marcq

This is the side mount drawing

Playseat_zpsuigwwuza.jpg

The elbow mount, I'll try to take pics or drawing, very easy to make

Marc..

I use an old Ikea Poang that we had to hand.

Looks like this:

ikea-poang-chair-cushion-replacement-chair-cushion-replacement-ikea-poang-chair-and-ottoman.jpg

Issues:

Overall, I love it.

I've tried the Poang, and it is a lot more comfortable to use than my desk swivel chair. The only advantage of my desk chair at the moment is that I am eye level with the monitor as it is higher than the Poang.

Has anyone seen these from Open Sim Racing that use an Ikea Poang?

https://opensimracing.com/products/super-sport-flight-using-ikea-chair-wood-plans

http://www.thesimpit.com/en/forum/view_topic/Cockpits-Rigs/201

Their designs seem interesting but I have only seen renderings of them online.

It also shows that with a bit of thought and design, some of the ejector seat designs could be modified to provide a solid base for an Ikea Poang.

Like Mr_sukebe, I use an “Ikea Pöang Chair“ aswell. I‘ve attached a modified throttle as collective on the left hand side. After upgrading my Saitek X45 to a Warthog Hotas, I‘ve added an “Ikea Lack TV unit“ as throttle stand, which has almost perfect height next to the armrest. The TV bank is not fixed to the chair, so I can move it forward to reach the collective if needed. Out there on the internet there are plans for the Stick Mount on the Pöang, but I‘ve got no access to a 3D Printer so a simple custom mount was crafted.

f71792d1821970e36d192a85bfdab415.jpg

52e0fe4093e62df75054f252953f6643.jpg

5a8298faf8a920a2616b2187c44a0f5e.jpg

6d1375215b3535f902c45bd040669775.jpg

Greetings

Thanks again !

2 Arcaze Boards for normal On/Off or On/Off/On switches and potentiometers

Arcaze Boards are used as a keyboard and dont appear within the DCS settings.

2 LeoBodnar (imo best for rotary encoders and push buttons/switches)

Actually im not sure if you can code a permanent On/Off switch on LeoBodnar boards.

and 1 FS837 input controller (from "flightsimpcb") for push buttons and

turn switches....(never used them before. These boards are cheap and

you get 140 inputs on one board)

...and 2 bass pumps within the left and right console

in addition to the Jetseat :D The amplifier is fixed below the back rest.

For transportation the left and right console can be removed from the

chair within 2 minutes.

Kind regards

Uwe

I7-7700k 4,2 / 32 GB RAM / Geforce 2080 TI / 2x M2 500GB SSD / 1 TB SSD / Pimax 5k / WinWing Stick and Throttle

Server: [Wolfpack] Germany 93.186.198.98 Port 10308

IG Callsign: Fenris