DCS: de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito FB Mk VI Discussion

msalama

Full fidelity and clickable cockpits are most of why I come here. Otherwise I'd just use the other sim.

Exactly this.

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

Im just for system modeling and FM, clickable cockpit is very nice and immersive feature, but i could live w/o it

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Which WW2 radar system can tell if it's working or not?

Or put another way, what use is a system that you can't actually use?

But hey, split hairs, you're still talking bull.

Ok let forget about iff

Ram air in spitfire for example

Cold start in BF 109 do nothing

Spitfire start up procedure is not right.Following start up procedure step by step you wont start spit's engine

Priming system in p-51 which magically stop working while you cranking engine. So you have to prime before other wise you wont start engine.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

what's wrong with bf109 cold start?

you don't need to use it at any circumstances.

There is a cold start handl below throttle. I had no need to use this even when starting at coldest temp possible.

Wonder if we'll be getting a series 1 or series 2 FB VI? Assuming a series 2 because they could carry the 500lb bombs instead of just the 250lbs.

Was just trying to think of all the possible loadouts.

Wings: 2*50 gallon drop tanks; 2*500lb MC bombs; 2*250lb MC bombs; 4*60lb RP-3 rockets; 4*25lb RP-3 rockets

(rockets 1944 onwards)

Bomb bay: 2*500lb MC bombs; 2*250lb MC bombs; 2*66.5 gallon fuel tanks

Possible loads I'm unsure of or can't confirm were widely used: 2*100 gallon drop tanks on the wings, a smaller bomb-bay fuel tank that fits alongside 2*250lb bombs

If anyone else knows more about the Mossie than me please do share :)

Wonder if we'll be getting a series 1 or series 2 FB VI? Assuming a series 2 because they could carry the 500lb bombs instead of just the 250lbs.

Was just trying to think of all the possible loadouts.

Wings: 2*50 gallon drop tanks; 2*500lb MC bombs; 2*250lb MC bombs; 4*60lb RP-3 rockets; 4*25lb RP-3 rockets

(rockets 1944 onwards)

Bomb bay: 2*500lb MC bombs; 2*250lb MC bombs; 2*66.5 gallon fuel tanks

Possible loads I'm unsure of or can't confirm were widely used: 2*100 gallon drop tanks on the wings, a smaller bomb-bay fuel tank that fits alongside 2*250lb bombs

If anyone else knows more about the Mossie than me please do share :)

I asked a similar question before regarding the rocket armament and received no reply. Hopefully Series 2.

Regarding the load out of the FB what arrangement of arsenal could be loaded.

I know it could carry the following:

Bomb Bay:

2 x 250lb

2 x 500lb

Wings:

8 x RP-3 I have seen images of 4 abreast and 4 stacked.

2 x 500lb

2 x 50 Gal Tank

2 x 100 Gal Tank

The question is what array could be carried?

I.e. Bomb Bay 2 x 500lb, 8 x stacked RP-3 and 2 x 100 Gal Tanks?

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Yes you did, sorry I must have missed your post. Rockets were arranged both abreast and stacked for sure, thought abreast looks like the most common setup.

I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that a FB VI mosquito could only have one type of load on the wing, e.g. 4 rockets OR 1 bomb OR a drop tank and not any combination IIRC.

Think any bomb bay load went with any wing load (maybe dependent on weight?). Bomb bay held 2 bombs OR 2 fuel tanks, and I've seen a little about a combination of 2 250lb bombs and 1 smaller fuel tank for intruder missions but not much.

So:

Bomb-bay

-Empty

-2x fuel tanks

-2x 500lb bombs

-2x 250lb bombs

-1x smaller fuel tank, 2x 250lb bombs

(I guess you could have the 1 smaller fuel tank by itself maybe, but why?)

With:

Wings

-Clean

-2x 50 gallon drop tanks

-2x 100 gallon drop tanks

-8x 25lb rockets

-8x 60lb rockets

-2x 250lb bombs

-2x 500lb bombs

Only restrictions really would be with historical accuracy i.e. would 25lb rockets be used when 60lb rockets are available?- were the 100 gallon drop tanks commonly used?- was the 1 fuel tank, 2 bomb setup used often? That kind of stuff

I have seen a picture that shows a fuel tank next to four stacked RP-3.

There was a 'fence' between the rockets and fuel tank IIRC.

Will have a look for it.

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Here we go... One from a book I have.

attachment.php?attachmentid=218908&stc=1&d=1570572381

And one from Google...

attachment.php?attachmentid=218909&stc=1&d=1570572402

The book states that there is two "only two rails per wing" however if you look closely at the end of the rockets it looks like two rails with four sets of fins/rockets per wing

Project IX Cockpit

Here we go... One from a book I have.

attachment.php?attachmentid=218908&stc=1&d=1570572381

And one from Google...

attachment.php?attachmentid=218909&stc=1&d=1570572402

The book states that there is two "only two rails per wing" however if you look closely at the end of the rockets it looks like two rails with four sets of fins/rockets per wing

Pretty weird, when I quote your post I can see you added images but I can't see them on your post :joystick:

Also I've seen an image of the stacked rockets on a mosquito on google (idk if its the one you shared, I cant see) where it's 4 rockets on 2 rails, the rockets are attached to each other in pairs, very strange

EDIT:

Ah, a breakthrough! Apparently from this site these paired rockets were used on Mosquito FB.VI CF (coastal fighters) variants from early March 1945

Edited by Birko

Ah yes that site is where I found the Google image as well.

So coastal command at least used that armament, which makes sense given the tasks they had.

Still would be nice to know if they ever flew with 2x500lb bombs, 4xRP-3 and fuel tanks.

Could make for some interesting missions with that setup.

Project IX Cockpit

Regards the piggy back rockets.

From my observations it appears the CC Mossie SOP was to fire all rockets at once in a single salvo. Ergo it was irrelevant whether the 4 rockets had individual rails or not. The piggy back was simply to allow for the carriage of extra fuel without compromising the Mossies firepower.

It is my understanding - though I am happy to be corrected if a source indicate otherwise - that bomb and rocket loadout were mutually exclusive; you either carried bombs or rockets, there was no mixed loadouts.

Regards the piggy back rockets.

From my observations it appears the CC Mossie SOP was to fire all rockets at once in a single salvo. Ergo it was irrelevant whether the 4 rockets had individual rails or not. The piggy back was simply to allow for the carriage of extra fuel without compromising the Mossies firepower.

It is my understanding - though I am happy to be corrected if a source indicate otherwise - that bomb and rocket loadout were mutually exclusive; you either carried bombs or rockets, there was no mixed loadouts.

So with rockets on wings no bombs in bomb bay ?

Well that sucks....

Were squadrons setup with rockets or bombs like the Typhoon squadrons or was the armament chosen based on what the mission required?

Project IX Cockpit

Regarding the mutual exclusivity of ordnance loads, do you know if that was a technical restriction or if it was because of doctrine etc?

Not knowing too much about Mossies I'd speculate that it's either because rockets and bombs were used on different types of targets, or that bombs and rockets were released with the press of the same button or something similar

I am not an authority on the weapon release system of the Mk.VI; I do know that all weapon commands were transferred electrically.

From the pilots notes:

10. Electrical system

A generator on No. 2 engine charges a battery which supplies electrical power at 24 volts for :—

Automatic superchargers

Air intake filters

Radiator shutters

Guns

Radio (Gee 11, G.P. H.F. communication set, V.H.F., I.F.F.)

Instrument and cockpit lighting

Air recognition, identification, navigation lights and landing lamp.

Engine starters and booster coils

Immersed fuel pump

Feathering pump motors

Undercarriage warning lights and horn

Oil dilution valves

Fuel pressure warning lights

Fire-extinguishers

Windscreen wiper

Pressure-head heater

Cine-camera

Reflector gunsight

Bomb selection, fuzing and release gear

R.P. release

27. Bomb selection, fusing and release

(i) The panel on the right-hand side of the instrument panel provides the switching arrangements for the fuselage bomb, wing bombs and wing drop tanks. The switch (28 ) at the top marked BUTTON CHANGEOVER CAMERA and BOMBS or TANKS permits the pushbutton (45) on the control column to be used for operating either the cine-camera or the bomb release. The bombs cannot be selected or fused until the BUTTON CHANGEOVER has been moved to BOMBS or TANKS. For emergency bomb release see para. 61

29. R.P. and gun controls

(i) Before the guns can be fired the gun master switch (33) must be set to FIRE. The 20 mm. guns are fired by a forefinger operated trigger, the machine guns by a thumb-operated trigger (44) both on the control column. The gun heating control is on the right of the observer's seat. Minimum pneumatic pressure required for operation is 200 lb./sq. in.

(ii) The R.P. PAIRS—SALVO switch is mounted adjacent to the gunsight and should be switched to the required position before the MASTER SWITCH is turned ON. The MASTER SWITCH is on the R.P. Auto-selector unit, which is mounted on the cockpit port wall aft of the engine controls box. The firing pushbutton is mounted on No. 2 engine throttle lever

It would seem that the bomb release and rocket firing systems were independent which would indicate a procedural/doctrinal limitation.

The rocket installation was not light or aerodynamic; perhaps the addition of an internal bomb load put the aircraft close to or beyond safe operating or structural limits.

Manual found here:

http://zenoswarbirdvideos.com/Images/Mosquito/MosquitoFB6Manual.pdf

Edited by DD_Fenrir

It begs the question of which rail system we will get a mk1 or a mk3...

"From December 1944, aluminium "Mark III" rails, which weighed 240 pounds (110 kg) per set, replaced the steel Mk Is, which weighed 480 pounds (220 kg)."

Taken from the Typhoon wiki page.

Project IX Cockpit

Ah so it looks like maybe you hypothetically could have a bomb and rocket mix, you just wouldn't. Very interesting, thank you.

I suppose the specifics of weapons and rocket rails and stuff depends on the intended time period for ED's Mossie, that could very well be based on the time frame of the Normandy campaign or for the appropriate time for the new WWII map, but not necessarily!

MK VI from what year is it, i got feeling that its pretty early model.

Edited by grafspee