Printable map of current Caucasus map?

Stratos

A screenshot map has been published somewhere on the user files repository or the forums, but I can't remember how big was the zoom factor. The file was too big to handle anyway…

There are differences on key locations coordinates. Some airbases are misplaced if real coordinates a compared. I once tried to locate the Tbilissi aircraft factory and found that the urban areas are too different in shape from reality to use a real map for assistance.

I don't know if DCS 2.5 adjusted the coordinate system to better fit reality. Anyway the big screenshot is the best solution to date.

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once started working on such an app for iPad (remember me, BaD CrC ?) but stopped because someone else had more advance on a similar app ...

Unfortunately it was never released...

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

Don’t be afraid to make large files. There are several softwares that allow to manipulate quickly large pictures by chopping it into multiple resolutions smaller squares. Or, best solution, make a vector file.

I will at least make a large PNG file (my first draft is 21047 x 12552 pixels).

I have some good news: the map from the editor is using UTM zone 36N projection. That means I can superimpose it on my WIP, and work on the differences. This will of course take some time, but it IS feasable. :thumbup:

Talking about projections, I'm not sure which one to use for my final map:

• The mission editor uses UTM zone 36N.
  • The original TC-1 map uses UTM zone 37N.
  • The good old ONC-F4 map uses the Lambert Conformal Conic projection.
  • SkyVector uses Mercator.

Which one would you guys prefer?

EDIT: added Mercator as a fourth possibility, as it is used on the beautiful SkyVector map.

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

The one the best represents the dcs world but is close to real world imo

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Sorry, I guess I was being too optimistic.

I'm having a hard time reprojecting the mission editor map in Quanum GIS, and I just can't make it right. I won't go further unless I find a way to retrieve those vectors from the game. If anyone finds a way, just PM me.

Whitout the vectors from the game, I see only one solution to get our new map : it has to use the same projection the mission editor is using (UTM zone 36N), and I have to trace every useful layer as an SVG, then paste that SVG over my map.

I gave it a try on a small portion of the ME's map: it works pretty well, but isolines are bugging me, and the ME won't let me hide them (bug reported).

I once started working on such an app for iPad (remember me, BaD CrC ?) but stopped because someone else had more advance on a similar app ...

Unfortunately it was never released...

Yes mate,of course I remember you! Really hated myself for discouraging you last time. At the end of the day, there is still nothing for us to use our tablets with DCS. :cry::cry::cry:

Whitout the vectors from the game, I see only one solution to get our new map : it has to use the same projection the mission editor is using (UTM zone 36N), and I have to trace every useful layer as an SVG, then paste that SVG over my map.

I gave it a try on a small portion of the ME's map: it works pretty well, but isolines are bugging me, and the ME won't let me hide them (bug reported).

Wow, flappie, not sure what's wrong with you and the iso lines but glad to see you are not giving up yet.

The thing is: I can't get clean vegetation polygons because iso lines are displayed on top of them.

The good news is that iso lines do not display on top of cities and lakes polygons. Therefore, I don't have to wait for a fix to trace those two elements.

104493dd7f2e2d9043dfd203d47e899c.jpg

In other news, I found a good way of taking the huuuuuuge screenshot of the ME's map. I'll keep you posted.

i am not sure what u are trying?

have u seen the TPC charts in my dropbox

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=204017

do they help u or are u trying to make it layer based?

Hi. The maps in your dropbox are based on real life roads, cities, rivers, lakes and forests, right?

I intend to make a map based on what's in the game, minus the DEM which is from SRTM. This kind of map is useful to make precise briefings.

now i understand, i guess u managed to mask those iso-lines via the color pipette function in photoshop.

have u tried to invert this mask and enlarge it for a view pixels till those lines get inside? and fill thereafter?

I use the GIMP. ;) I've already tried expanding the selection by 1 pixel, then reduce it by 1 pixel: the ISO lines are then "absorbed", but I lose a lot of precision doing so.

Now that I'm able to make "quick" screenshots of the entire ME's map (I use AutoHotKey), I'm trying to make a very high definition screenshot. I'm currently trying to get a 240x zoomed map (type Numpad + 240 times), because my previous try (170x) was not precise enough.

Hey, thank you mate! :) I've just found a simple solution to get rid of those ISO lines whitout losing too much precision! I no longer have to wait for the fix.

Selection... > Soften... > 4px will do.

Here's what it looks like with a 240x zoomed map.

c8d0307aca31125433a7cd2f1eb899a4.png

This time I give up. The ME's raster and the SRTM raster don't seem to match, and it gets on my nerves. I won't be doing a vector map.

Sorry Bad CrC. :noexpression:

Edited by Flappie

how far did you go?

would you think about sharing what you already have, allowing other ones to may finish your project?

br

Actually, I didn't give up, and I'm currently tracing the vegetation.

As the map is not accurate (approximately from Kutaisi to Tbilissi), I thought I could simply use the naked ME's map raster. The map won't be as precise as I wanted it to be, but it should be as precise as the TC-1 map.

I should be able to show you the first draft (without roads, railroads, power lines, nor rivers) tonight.

Looks great here I thought you gave up?

I thought so too. :P

I really wanted to do a full vector version, but I just can't because the map is not 100% accurate (only coordinates of the western part match real life coordinates). Bye bye SRTM data.

I'll keep you all posted.