F-16 ACES II Ejection Seat

Jetguy06

Hey guys, I'm curious what the angles are for the F-16's ACES II in-cockpit. I know the F-16 has a seat back tilt of 30 degrees, but 30 degrees from what?

I've attached an image of an ACES II tilted as is in-cockpit, and added some angles I'd like to know the measurements of (please excuse my horrible Paint skills).

The black 90 degree angle is meant to be measured from the aircraft's centerline to vertical.

I'm looking for the angle measurements of the red-to-vertical angle (angle x), the green-to-vertical angle (angle y), and the blue angle (angle z).

I've searched the net for info on this, but haven't been able to find the specifics I'm looking for.

Can anyone help? Thanks!!

ACME-Slider-F-16-Side-View-800x600.jpg.9dca2afeb02c1fe7725371a02d3b4431.jpg

System Specs: System Specs: MSI Tomahawk Z590 wifi, I9 11900K Processor, 64gb Corsair Vengance 3600mhz ram, 3080 Nvidia Video Card, Windows 11 Pro, 2 Samsung NVMe SSD (2tb and 1 tb), Valve Index VR system

Thanks. I found that picture a while back. It's one of the best. The only problem is that it only shows the ejection rails, and not the seat itself in the pit.

Not sure if this helps

[ATTACH]201846[/ATTACH]

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Not sure if this helps

[ATTACH]201846[/ATTACH]

Thanks, mvsgas. That's the ACES II, but doesn't look like it's from inside an F-16.

@Stang I understand it's tilted back 30 degrees, but is the whole seat tilted back, or just the seat back? If the whole seat is tilted back, what is the angle from the seat back to the cushion? There has to be a source of the data, because I've seen numerous sim pits built with a replica or scratch-built ACES II reclined as per the real one in the Viper.

Thanks, mvsgas. That's the ACES II, but doesn't look like it's from inside an F-16.

:megalol:It doesn't? The picture is out of the F-16 dash 1 manual, page 2-49, figure 2-9

[ATTACH]201871[/ATTACH]

On the HAF version is figure 2-11, page 2-42

On the A/B model is figure 2-8 page 2-44

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

The seat angles for the differend ACES II (A-10, F-15, F-16) versions are given here:

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a133628.pdf

It also has some other usefull dimensions.... :smilewink:

Cheers,

Stefan

That document was perfect!! Exactly what I was looking for!! So, the seatback is 90 degrees from the seat pan, and the entire seat is tilted 30 degrees back. That makes sense now. Much appreciated!!

:megalol:It doesn't? The picture is out of the F-16 dash 1 manual, page 2-49, figure 2-9

[ATTACH]201871[/ATTACH]

On the HAF version is figure 2-11, page 2-42

On the A/B model is figure 2-8 page 2-44

My apologies. It just didn't look right to my untrained eye.

• 1 year later...

No no. If you look closely, and I'm in the process of designing an alloy sheet replica. If the seat base is set level, according to the pressed edge of the side panel, then the seat back is inclined at 15' to this.

Thus installed, the A10 and F15 would have a 20' rear incline and the seat base would lean back only 5'. On the F16 the seat baser is 15' and the seat back therefore 30'.

On mine, i'm trying to make a very lightweight alloy water jet cut set. The rails are mounted to a DofReality set so it needs to be light. Where I'm having an utter nightmare is the variable of being able to place the seat at differing angles and still fit it within the size.

The F16 has effectively a low seat angle so the front edge doesn't sit to high. Enabling all the different positions and also to make it a normal seat with the ACES side and top removed is making me lose more hair than is good for me.

Clevo P775TM1-G laptop with 9900K and RTX2080. Airliner pilot by day and keen simmer on days off.

Mark.

I am a bit confused. you are writing about degrees ° but marking them as feet ', what are you basing your placement on? What are you calling the seat base? Are you making and A-10 replica or an F-16? your problem is? making the seat with different angles to fit in the size of what?

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.