Which branch will stay?

Bisch

Hi, bought a lot of modules the past weeks and a warthog but never played. I want to install one of the branches and I ask myself which branch will get updates without complete reinstallation. Massive file downloads and attempts to save my key activations do hurt. I pre purchased NTTR so should I aim for this or will it get a complete new installer after alpha? They said its gonna merge but I dont know exactly how. I dont care about the map itself right now, I just want an installation that stays

Win 10 Pro | Trustmaster Warthog | MFG Rudders | VivePro Wireless Gear Lens modded | 1080ti OC Asus | 32 GB DD4 RAM | i7 9700 | Razer Chroma Orbweaver Keypad | Corsair KB | Derek Switchbox | USB Keypad | Logitech 502 | Jetseat with SimShaker Software | TrackIR5 | Autotkey | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | Monstertech Mounts | Saitek Throttle Quadrant

I assume that the stable branch and the beta branch will be continued while the alpha branch will be scrapped at one point. But that is just my assumption ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

None of your concerns are valid. As long as you have that actual drive space, the new updater will copy the bulk of the most up to date content from any existing branch installed. Activations are persistent across all installs as long as you don't wipe your OS.

Thanks! Too late however. Deactivated everything and uninstalled 1.2

When I wanted to go from 1.2 to 1.5 beta it didnt seem to use anything useful on my HD.

File sizes plus overal file size and DL rate were horrible.

Now I did go for Nevada because of T4 engine and perhaps being able to merge.

I also wiped the modules installation just to make 100% I dont inherit problems

Win 10 Pro | Trustmaster Warthog | MFG Rudders | VivePro Wireless Gear Lens modded | 1080ti OC Asus | 32 GB DD4 RAM | i7 9700 | Razer Chroma Orbweaver Keypad | Corsair KB | Derek Switchbox | USB Keypad | Logitech 502 | Jetseat with SimShaker Software | TrackIR5 | Autotkey | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | Monstertech Mounts | Saitek Throttle Quadrant

Sounds like you may have removed your main DCS World installation? Nevada is currently an "Alpha" branch, 1.5 was until recently the "Beta" branch, but at the end of the day the "main branch" was still 1.2.x and now 1.5.2. If you removed your main branch you will at some point need to install it again. Some content may be copied over by the installer from alpha/beta streams, but you will still need the main one.

Thanks! Too late however. Deactivated everything and uninstalled 1.2

When I wanted to go from 1.2 to 1.5 beta it didnt seem to use anything useful on my HD.

File sizes plus overal file size and DL rate were horrible.

Now I did go for Nevada because of T4 engine and perhaps being able to merge.

I also wiped the modules installation just to make 100% I dont inherit problems

For future reference the only times you should deactivate are prior to OS clean installs, OS drive data transfers (i.e. moving to SSD without OS reinstall) or in place motherboard swaps. The 1.2 content was probably too old compared to 1.5. Particularly terrain content which has updated textures in 1.5 OB. Once you had the OB and went to install 1.5 Stable it would have pulled from the OB and/or OA directories.

OK, thanks guys!

Activations are persistent across all installs as long as you don't wipe your OS.

Except for Leatherneck's MiG-21bis which is still having problems with activations ... :music_whistling:

Sorry, couldn't resist a gentle dig ... :gun_sniper:

OS:Win10 Home CPU:i7 3770K 3.5(@4.3GHz) COOLER:ZalmanCNPS10X-PERFORMA MOBO:GigabyteGA-Z77X-UD5H SSD#1:SamsungEVO850Pro 500GB SSD#2:SanDisk240GB HDD:2x Seagate2TB GFX:GigabyteGTX670 WF3 2GB OC1058MHz RAM:16GB 16000MHz DDR3 KEYB'Ds:Corsair K95/MS SidewinderX4 MOUSE:LogitechG700s MON:2x ASUS 24” ROUTER:ASUS RT-N66U DarkKnight INTERWEBS:Fibre152Mbps/12Mbps JOYSTICK:TM T16000m Modded THROTTLE:TM TWCS HEADTRACK:TrackIR5Pro

Sounds like you may have removed your main DCS World installation? Nevada is currently an "Alpha" branch, 1.5 was until recently the "Beta" branch, but at the end of the day the "main branch" was still 1.2.x and now 1.5.2. If you removed your main branch you will at some point need to install it again. Some content may be copied over by the installer from alpha/beta streams, but you will still need the main one.

Why should he? I got rid of the main branch 2 or 3 years ago and since then I only use the beta branch. Works just fine. I get all the new updates (except the alpha now) and if I don't want a new beta update to retain MP combaitibility I can just reject the update until the main branch gets updated. :)

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Except for Leatherneck's MiG-21bis which is still having problems with activations ... :music_whistling:

Sorry, couldn't resist a gentle dig ... :gun_sniper:

did experience that ;)

The basic set-up for DCS World will always be a Full release version - which will be the main install, and then if you choose to, you can add the Beta as a separate entity.

The Alpha install is unusual, and was added for NTTR.

Eventually, the Alpha will migrate onto the Full release version, and when it does, if you have the Alpha installed, it should gather as many files as it can from the Alpha to save having to download them.

So the best advice is to use the 1.5.2 version as your main install, but hold on to the NTTR version ready for when the update happens. There are no certainties about how the update will happen, but the law of averages says that 1.5.2 is the one to concentrate on for adding modules if you only want to put them in one place.

Great, installed Nevada Alpha Installer, downloaded DCS World Files with it, startet, had to get Nevada Files which stopped downloading after several hours. Now I cant even re-initiate DL of terrain. DCS just says I need to DL but I cant select any Terrain in the Module Manager anymore althoug logged in. There's also no option to get these files from the website.

Now what? :(

Found a solution here....

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2630334&postcount=2

downloading. Hope it helps