M2K Cockpit Floods

Ski01

Hi try to set from settings flash light

cpu:I7-6700k Z170 16GB Ram DDR4 Gtx 1080 8Gb DDR5 11GBs SSD 500 Gb 2 HDD 1Tb Evga supernova G2 850w Case Bequiet series 800 Silent base Win 10 pro 64 bit

My wishlist: F-35/B-17G/F4U Corsair/Yak-3/P-40B Tomahawk

On dark night missions I can't see side panel switches regardless of how much the floods are turned up. Am I missing something?

Lighting system is kind of broken since 2.5.

Landing and refueling lights have lost range too.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Just turn deferred shading off...

It's killing the cockpits.....

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=202460

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

That's incredible at my eyes :D...but, after, i don't reject tast of others. But the HDR is horrible at my eyes, i explain why.

Just, HDR rendering is so old and kill the athmsopherique lighting that give a modern look to the 2.5. It also kill lot of effect on material at my eyes.

The same for the cockpit, it should be also with Global Illumination ON (to be compatible with deferred shading).

In HDR and GI Off, the colors look washed and low in contrast. Flat.

It's normal that hard lighting give hard colors and that the night don't permit to human eyes to see in a cockpit...

We was habituted to feel confortable in the night with the 1.5. But night is not confortable in real life (or just for astronomy :D), as you can experiment everynight if your not living in a big enlighted city.

Just make the test in your car by night. Without light, you don't see that much. Depending the moon, you will not see at all anything...

Why it will be different in a plane ?

What i see is that, the red lights (floods) need to be adapated to the new 2.5 engine and graphics options...not the opposit...

The only thing is that the city light are not visible that much...mean it's hard to naviguate visualy because of this reason.

If you see the HDR more colorfull, note that :

For exemple by comparing this screen (HDR) :

https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=178918&d=1518449941

And that (deferred lighting):

https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=178902&d=1518449854

Just say to yourself that the HDR give a f*** faked rendering in altitude concideration with sunlight.

Just take the deferred shading and look at 18:30 pm (in casse of 17:30 pm in this two screenshots) and you will have more deeper colors and depth / atmospheric realism... Also, it's evident that materials and textures look much more alive, full of effects, and worthy of a new engine with the diffuse light/defferer and GI ON.

Putting GI ON in cockpit is an obligation to be coherent with a deferred ON.

It's not possible to compare the deferred shading with the HDR. HDR is an "old technology" in DCS, where deferred shading/linghting and GI is making the engine beeing a new one.

Also; important : PBR technology is ruined by HDR. PBR work nice and 100% only with deferred and GI...

After, some was feeling better before. Me i see it more realistic now, and MUCH more beautifull and graphically deeper ! Even if, yes, it's not confortable as before in dark condition...yes...and i see it good XD

You said in the post of the thread you linked here :

Moreover, some cockpits are totally unreadable at night.

Yes...This is normal...This is more realistic. And more beautifull at my eyes (it look like like actual engine i mean, but i admit that the "beautifullness" is a question of tast). Just, it's not confortable. That is your point.

For exemple here :

Can you see the cockpit ? The computers, yes. The backlighting buttons,yes...but the cockpit itself ? No...it's totally dark. Ho...this is a camera ? Not human eyes ? And human eyes have a better vision in darkness than a camera ? yes, but it depend the camera, your screen, and how the dark is deep...but just take your car, go in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere, close all the lights in your car (and outside if your parked), and look inside the car...how it look ? it look dark ! If theire is no moon, it look fully dark !

I's not confortable ? Ok.

And it will be fixed when cockpit lighting (red-lights/floods) will be adpated to the new engine (and the flashlight, that is totally weak actually !).

Ho...also, i forgot : if you wanna have a more range of colors and contrast (exposure range) in game (as your eyes can have in real life), now much of screen (even TV) have an HDR option...without even needing the help of the 3D card for lot of them...

Edited by Mav783

Take a deep breath. That's what I said in post #3: lighting system is broken.

Not only the cockpits (flood lights), landing lights, refueling lights, cities lights...

And guess what, by night, you can see an illuminated city tens of miles away. If there are low clouds, the city's lights will be reflected on clouds.

So the pain in the ass is not that the dark is darker, it's that the lights that should help us to see in the dark are broken.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

But i speak to ac5 who don't speak exaclty about what you said...

I agree all what you said Jojo. And it's not that much the issue of ac5 is speaking about.

He speak about inside cockpit over all dark situation comparing to the old rendering of 1.5, suggesting it's because HDR is off and it's "not confortable to have a dark cockpit in the dark).

Not because the cockpitlight (floods) and the city lights need to have more power (and distance view) and beeing adapated to the new engine...suggesting the probleme is the deffered sahding (and HDR is better), and not just the power of the floods... is why i posted all this poetry :)

I can keep my breath so ? :smilewink:

Whatever....

Deferred shading stays off in my rig, until is fixed.

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

That's maybe will be "fixed", i'm not sure...cause deffered shading technology is, maybe, not the issue itself (technologicaly wise).

After it's not cool for you also because you can not enjoy the PBR and the atmospheric translucency, and globally the new engine based on DX11 with the HDR.

Even in the cockpit, HDR don't permit to the specular and roughness textures to render photorealistic reflection and multi-layered shading in a good way.

Only deffered can do it fully.

After, you will maybe find your happyness the day that ED will add more power to the floods, the cities lights, the moonlight and the flashlight (a simple flashlight is a need to use button in a cockpit, in real life and in DCS also, if your not in a hangar or have already pluged the ground power) ;) (and they need also to add more visibility range to airports and cities lights). But the deferred shading is, i think, not going to be fixed, because it's probably not the issue.

The issue look totally like floods (cockpit red/green lights) and "artificial source of light" (as floor lamps in airports and cities) are simply not calibrated for the new engine and lack little power.

After, maybe it can cause RAM overuse, and that can be fixed. But not everyone have this issue (RAM is loaded around 95% for some ppl) and not sure it come from the engine (?).

But the most important, anyway, as you say, is that : you fly as you wish in the confort you wish ;)

Important note : Also, for people who use deffered shading : don't forgot to put the cockpit in Global Illumination ON (graphic options), if you don't want to have bugged redering in your cockpit. The cockpit need GI enable to use the deffered shading in the cockpit in a good way. If not, your cockpit will look strange or with some glitch.

Edited by Mav783