Migration of controls for 2.5

Mr_sukebe

Here's a question.

My understanding is that 2.5 will copy what it can from our existing 2.2 and 1.5 installs (I'm assuming the terrains, aircraft models, missions etc).

Will the 2.5 install also copy over our controls, and if we have both 2.2 and 1.5 installed, which set of controls will it copy?

If the install doesn't copy those, is the simplest way to go into our saved game folder (c:Users/Name/Saved Games/DCS.Openalpha/Config/Input) and copy all of the sub directories to the new saved game folder that will be created for 2.5?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Pretty much yep. Make a back-up of the files just to be safe.

Another useful file to copy would be the mission editor/logbook.lua as it stores all your campaign progress and logbook information.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Just to clarify, by yes, you mean that the install will include a piece of logic to copy all of our existing controls? If so, will it take preference from 2.2 or 1.5?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I don't know if it will copy the files automatically. But it is something you can still do manually to save your data.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Always back up your Input Files. Thats my motto.

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

DCS has never looked for files in Saved Games before and copied them across into a new install, at least as far as I'm aware. I'd imagine it only updates the game files in the ED directory. I'd suggest manually copying over the stick profiles. And yes, save old files where necessary but naming them differently.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG Rampage Extreme VI; i9 7900X (all 10 cores at 4.5GHz); 32 Gb Corsair Dominator DDR4; EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid; 1Tb Samsung 960 Evo M2; 2Tb Samsung 850 Pro secondary.

Oculus Rift; TM Warthog; Saitek Combat Pros.

Almost 99 percent certain the update will wipe my controls and bind my throttle controls to my joystick, and my pedals to my electric toothbrush. Have saved the input file and hopefully with the merge I will only need to use 2.2’s input configuration! Hopefully this bug will be something that will improve in 2.5!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

As 2.5 is going to update 1.5.8 Beta, it will in all likelihood simply use the existing beta saved games install.

Best advice would be to create a back up of the Beta saved games, and then see what happens when you have applied the update.

If it is using the old saved games, then all you need to do is monitor things for a day or two before deleting the back-up. If the controls revert to default, just gradually copy across from the back-up you created. Make sure you make copies of the new saved games directory before you start that too, because it may introduce bugs, so belt and braces is the way to go.

One area you will have to reinstall regardless is the 3 way switch mods, which sit in the main directory, and not saved games of course.