how to know wind direction between published levels

WildBillKelsoe

in mission editor, we get three layers. what about the layers in between? e.g 3000 meters? how to know wind direction? in non equipped aircrafts? those without wind readouts on cdu or nadir etc?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Due to the age of the static weather engine, I believe that the wind speed is linearly interpolated between the layers.

I suggest you switch to dynamic generation. Because from point A to point B, I'm pretty sure that to wind conditions along the route are too changing anyway. Wind speed prediction is surely a sad compromise.

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

God I drifted so bad today... need some pointers.. I'm hopeless...

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

bump

What are you really looking for here WildbillKelsoe?

There are many tutorials around for navigation, I started in the civi sim side, so VOR, similar to TACAN, NDB

Are you flying VFR with a TACAN course? and trying to keep an offset to stay on course.

This depends on the aircraft and the equipment available for navigation, I have seen around the traps that perhaps one day you will be able to add the Garmin GNS 430

Imagine how hard it was in bad visibility in a warbird over Normandy back in the day. This is part of what DCS is all about right, you can experience what it was like with the equipment of the day back then and learn that way.

These days

"VFR require a pilot to be able to see outside the cockpit, to control the aircraft's altitude, navigate, and avoid obstacles and other aircraft."

If you want to get right into VFR, use Normandy or the NTTR map, these maps are made for this and the campaigns for NTTR pretty much go through VFR, with the first missions calling out the landmarks so you get visually oriented.

Wind correction angle (WCA)

www.code7700.com/index.htm

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Are you flying VFR with a TACAN course? and trying to keep an offset to stay on course.

Hi David,

I am aware of using Navaids, but my question revolves around knowing the wind direction and speed at different altitudes in DCS.

So if a mission designer incorporates static windage across the three modifiable levels- ground,2000, and 8000 meters, how to know winds in the layers in between when you're not equipped with wind sensing equipment, like A-10Cs CDU Wind page, or ABRIS in Ka-50, or the Nadir in Gazelle, etc... :helpsmilie:

So for example static windage

G 230° at 3 m/s

2000 m 150° at 5 m/s

8000 m 270° at 8 m/s

I want to fly at 5000 meters P.A. (29.92/760/1013) but dont know the wind so I keep drifting. To get WCA (Luiz Monterro), you need wind magnitude and direction, which you cant read out directly except in some birds in DCS. What if youre flying L-39C, Su-27, Mi-8, Mig-15, Bf-109,etc.. how to know the windage in a layer between published layers (G,2000,8000 m).

Hi David,

I am aware of using Navaids, but my question revolves around knowing the wind direction and speed at different altitudes in DCS.

So if a mission designer incorporates static windage across the three modifiable levels- ground,2000, and 8000 meters, how to know winds in the layers in between when you're not equipped with wind sensing equipment, like A-10Cs CDU Wind page, or ABRIS in Ka-50, or the Nadir in Gazelle, etc... :helpsmilie:

So for example static windage

G 230° at 3 m/s

2000 m 150° at 5 m/s

8000 m 270° at 8 m/s

I want to fly at 5000 meters P.A. (29.92/760/1013) but dont know the wind so I keep drifting. To get WCA (Luiz Monterro), you need wind magnitude and direction, which you cant read out directly except in some birds in DCS. What if youre flying L-39C, Su-27, Mi-8, Mig-15, Bf-109,etc.. how to know the windage in a layer between published layers (G,2000,8000 m).

I think what you're talking about here was a big problem when aircraft were lacking in navigation equipment back in the day.

Most of it was best guess from the reports available at the time, so they probably weren't the best either and kept the pilots on their toes.

Here is an old video of

If you setup a Navigation mission, you would need to publish these figures in the briefing as Winds aloft. I don't think the layers in DCS change in between once set to static in the editor?

10 = 5ms

500 =11ms

2000 = 14ms

8000 = 16ms

Have you tested these layers using the A-10C?

Above 2000m to 8000 meters it would stay at 14ms plus the direction that was set in the editor 150°.

Above 8000m/ 26,246 feet = 16ms

DCS Manual

"WIND. Rather than a single wind direction and speed, the wind function allows you to set three distinct wind altitude bands: sea level, 2,000 meters, and 8,000 meters. These are indicated by the three lines within the Wind section of the Weather Tool. To set the speed in meters per-second (m/s), use the left and right arrows. Note that wind will be as a constant force without gusting."

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

"If you setup a Navigation mission, you would need to publish these figures in the briefing as Winds aloft. I don't think the layers in DCS change in between once set to static in the editor? "

My understanding is that (as mentioned earlier by someone else) wind between the layers is linearly interpolated - so if it's

2000 = 10ms @ 280 degrees

8000 = 16ms @ 340 degrees

then at

2000m it's 10ms @ 280 degrees

3000m it's 11ms @ 290 degrees

4000m it's 12ms @ 300 degrees

5000m it's 13ms @ 310 degrees

6000m it's 14ms @ 320 degrees

7000m it's 15ms @ 330 degrees

8000m it's 16ms @ 340 degrees

There must be a gradient between otherwise you'd notice the plane suddenly (& I write this knowing there are ~ 400 posts arguing about this :-) abruptly weathervane into the wind as the plan changed from a body of air moving in one direction to another going in a different direction...

I'm at work & I can't remember - for an ejectee on a chute, can you see/access the groundspeed ?

If you can - and assuming they actually move with the wind - the simple test to carry out would be to just watch them drop through the layers & track their groundspeed.

Cheers.

In my time flying, I learned why we keep all that real important FAA paperwork in the plane.

We keep it in the plane to judge wind speed of course!

Just pop open the storm window and toss it out. Enter a left hand bank and observe the falling "paperwork" for a good gauge of wind speed.

yVi0u9D.png

that is very helpful :megalol:

Have you tested these layers using the A-10C?

Yes but in A-10C its easier to get winds when youre at the layer read out directly on CDU. Not so for Bf-109, for example.

I'm at work & I can't remember - for an ejectee on a chute, can you see/access the groundspeed ?

If you can - and assuming they actually move with the wind - the simple test to carry out would be to just watch them drop through the layers & track their groundspeed.

But that would only track their GS and not provide heading (Yes you can with infobar).

Yes but in A-10C its easier to get winds when youre at the layer read out directly on CDU. Not so for Bf-109, for example.

What I meant by this is to use the A-10C to build the Winds aloft mission briefing layers, by flying in the mission and write down the data you want to record for the mission, this way the users would have more accurate wind data for said mission for different aircraft.

Just remember, it would not be this easy and accurate IRL anyway, just as flyco said.

If you think that wind predictions are a sad compromise in DCS, you should see some of the ones to be found in real life.

I would also include good recognizable land objects for navigation correction, take the Viggen here for an example, and how you need to update the NAV, using a recognizable landmark when passing over the top of them.