The DCS Merlin Engine failure characteristic

klem

Sorry if this is buried in a thread somewhere but is anything being done to improve the Merlin failure characteristic as in... BANG!

Will there be progressive retardation/warning effects of the Merlin being overheated and perhaps even a final grinding to a halt or failure instead of the sudden and unrealistic Bang effect out of no-where? Merlins were often run hot and sometimes suffered some performance degradation. But BANG!? I don't think so.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Sorry if this is buried in a thread somewhere but is anything being done to improve the Merlin failure characteristic as in... BANG!

Will there be progressive retardation/warning effects of the Merlin being overheated and perhaps even a final grinding to a halt or failure instead of the sudden and unrealistic Bang effect out of no-where? Merlins were often run hot and sometimes suffered some performance degradation. But BANG!? I don't think so.

Very much agree with you Klem. Currently it does not feel real to just go from no problems to full stop. A bit more sophistication in the engine modelling to represent an engine that is beginning to struggle, and gradual failure if not tended to would be so much more realistic, rather than instant full failure every time. Being able to have the chance to coax and nurse an engine along with appropriate remedial action would be very immersive, challenging and a bit more real IMHO.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

There is a difference between the coolant and oil, with oil you will hear your engine suffer running too high temps and can save the engine if caught in time.

Coolant temp is the one temp gauge i keep an eye a lot.That sucker overheats fast and cause's engine failure rapid too with out warning if you don't keep it in check.

It'll come.

Yo-Yo and team have made strides with engine damage modelling, not so much for the current P51, but they've certainly added some nice features to the 109 and 190 where you start to see effects and such when you go high throttle without enabling MW.

I'd expect that with another Merlin engined aircraft coming out and a new damage model in the works for the aircraft as a whole, we'll see new engine damage functionality.

I raised this question some time ago, and some of the ED guys didn't treat this as being a first priority.

So my guess is that this aircraft won't be much different....

I love this game, but when i'm in the mood to fly WWII aircrafts, I just go somewhere else...

The lack of small details like this are keeping me away from buying any more WWII content in DCS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Your eyes only see what your mind is ready to comprehend"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Intel I7-6700K - 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz HyperX Savage - Strix GTX 960 DC II 2GB OC Edition - Seagate 1TB

I raised this question some time ago, and some of the ED guys didn't treat this as being a first priority.

So my guess is that this aircraft won't be much different....

I love this game, but when i'm in the mood to fly WWII aircrafts, I just go somewhere else...

The lack of small details like this are keeping me away from buying any more WWII content in DCS

Totally agree. One example of such "small" thing is that we're still missing any sign of start-up smoke....

My dream is the FM of the DCS p-51, with everything else of the A2A p-51...

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s