Do we need an airquake server for WW2? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-20-2018, 10:57 PM   #1
gavagai

Default Do we need an airquake server for WW2?

Every Normandy map is spread out with a handful of pilots (if any). I can't help but wonder if we need an airquake map for WW2 to rekindle interest. Many people don't have the time, or patience, to fly around for an hour squinting for pixels, and usually coming up empty.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:22 AM   #2
philstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavagai View Post
Every Normandy map is spread out with a handful of pilots (if any). I can't help but wonder if we need an airquake map for WW2 to rekindle interest. Many people don't have the time, or patience, to fly around for an hour squinting for pixels, and usually coming up empty.
There are/ were air-quake servers - and they're mostly empty too.
It's not the servers that are the problem.
philstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:42 AM   #3
Hiromachi

Not every. This Burning Skies is the first time the airfields are more than 100 km apart. Previous ww2 servers and missions had airfields much closer - around 40 to 70 km and it always felt like things are too close. All too often Luftwaffe ended up on top of the airfields and all that developed on the server was vulching and air quake (particularly with mission on Caucasus map with airfields at Novorosijsk and Anapa) over Novo.

Finally airfields are placed in a reasonable distance, though Id like to have a chance to take off from Britain as well.

The problem is not the mission when it comes to low numbers.
AMD Ryzen 2700X @ 4.4 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 16 GB DDR4 3500 Mhz Cl14 / GTX 1080Ti @ 2010 Mhz core / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Asus Strix Raid DLX / AOC AG352UCG / VIRPIL T-50CM / MFG Crosswinds / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7
http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic110693_1.gif
Hiromachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:48 AM   #4
birdstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavagai View Post
imo, yes we need it....even one with airspawns and a close by dogfight area...quick action for people who dont want to waste their time searching the needle in the haystack.
i would love it, especially right now where there is pretty much only 1 server available, with too big distance between the airfields for the numbers we have online.
birdstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:50 PM   #5
saburo_cz

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdstrike View Post
especially right now where there is pretty much only 1 server available, with too big distance between the airfields for the numbers we have online.
not only one server with WWII scenario is here, but servers with airquake or similar scenario are nearly permanently empty
I ask you, why is that?

It seem not to be airquake which will be solution for declining WWII population in DCS world.
The problem is far elsewhere. I do not mean servers admins.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:57 PM   #6
birdstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by saburo_cz View Post
not only one server with WWII scenario is here, but servers with airquake or similar scenario are nearly permanently empty
I ask you, why is that?

It seem not to be airquake which will be solution for declining WWII population in DCS world.
The problem is far elsewhere. I do not mean servers admins.

well, im running open beta version, and i only see 1 ww2 server which is burning skies...from time to time there is the other american server, which would actually be really neat to fly on, but unfortunately it has AI fighters in there...which in my opinion is the main reason why its usually empty.

then, there is/was acg server...dont know if its online in stable version or completely disappeared altogether...but again, it had AI b17 in the mission, which were horrible for performance, but worse, were spawning and despawning right in front of your face...which is a complete immersion killer,....well at least for me...

to my knowledge, there is not a single permanent ww2 server, with:
-no AI
-airspawns close to each other
which would resemble a so called airquake server, where its all about dogfighting and gaining skills...

where it doesnt matter much if you are killed, because respawning brings you back right into action without time consuming start up procedures, without flying for 15minutes only to see contacts right above their airbases, which again results in vulching, and as a consequence, disconnecting clients, and ultimately an empty server....

Last edited by birdstrike; 05-21-2018 at 01:20 PM.
birdstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:06 PM   #7
gavagai

Then is the problem price? DCS WWII is great, but as an initial kickstarter backer I got in at a bargain. You've got the map, the asset pack, and 4 fighters. If you buy them all right now...

Spiitfire $50
Bf 109 $50
Fw 190 $50
P-51D $40
Normandy $60
WW2 assets pack $30
----------------
$280 for the DCS WWII experience, which is probably too much to attract the WW2 crowd.

The other thing that makes me tire of WWII in DCS is the visibility settings. With a 4k display I have a hard time seeing aircraft even with the label mod. It's not so bad with other time periods because of radar, awacs, and the larger size of many 3rd/4th gen fighters.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:53 AM   #8
saburo_cz

I think that price is not main problem.
As i know, the most people who play air simulators have at least one WWII plane and Normandy map with asset pack.

The problem is missing or ended support from ED, like unfinished modules, overbuged everything around WWII content, unfinished map itself.
Tragic never-ending story "NEW damage model" is another funny story.

People rather goes play something existing instead always only read "more information SOON" and soon expired far ago.

Small part of low online population is lack of new scenarios, if there only one mission is on server, players will leave, but that is understandable.
What can server admin do if he has nothing, unfinished one small map and incomplete asset pack, it is hard...
Old 05-22-2018, 10:14 AM   #9
Reflected

Interesting discussion here. AFAIK Burning Skies is the only normal WW2 server at the moment. Their missions are great, with custom kneeboards and all. They use a label mod so visibility is not a problem, it's actually quite realistic.

I think the biggest problem is that Evreux and Carpiquet are so far apart that there's no chance of meeting anyone when there are less than 5 players, so people give up easily and therefore they leave before the server could get crowded enough. The solution to this could be to give people stuff to do even when they are virtually (pun intended) alone on the server, to make sure they hang in there until others join.

- AI bombers
- A large variety of ground targets - which we have now - that are not only tanks. Tanks require direct hits and are quite annoying. Strafing trucks and trains are more fun.
- Closer airbases - not everyone has the patience to fly 20 minutes to see some action. If the server was always crowded I would also prefer larger distances, but this is not the case.

On top of this I'm sure the new DM and making bombs available for the Spitfire will revive the interest in WW2 MP.

"The Big Show" Spitfire Mk.IX Campaign
My DCS Skins
B350 Gaming Plus / Ryzen 5 1600 X @ 3,9 / MSI GeForce GTX1070 8192 / 16 GB RAM / Samsung PM961 512 SSD / MS FFB 2 / TM Warthog throttle / Saitek ProFlight pedals / Oculus Rift CV1
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:24 AM   #10
Mr_sukebe

To add to the above, I don’t consider the BS server to be VR friendly, which is why I don’t frequent it.