DCS: P-47D-30 Discussion - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #1
Barrett_g

Default DCS: P-47D-30 Discussion

The P-47 is my favorite WWII aircraft and the thing that I look forward to the most about DCS WWII.

The problem with the P-47 is it always seems like it's over shadowed by the other planes... so I thought it would be cool to start a thread devoted strictly to the P-47. A place where P-47 fans can share facts and stories about this awesome plane.

There's several documents on this site...but here's one that I found particularly interesting:

www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/P-47_versus_FW-190.pdf

Any other fans of the P-47 out there?
Barrett_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
Mysticpuma

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/a...A&ved=0CB0QqwQ

I made a short machinima movie in 2007 about the fight for survival by Robert S.Johnson when he was hit by Cannon fire at 26,000 feet, knocked out, recovered but couldn't escape from his P-47 due to a jammed canopy and eventually was attacked on three separate occasions by Egon Mayer as he headed for England.
It's an incredible true story (although it's a P-47 Razorback). In comparison to newer HD machinima it's like watching a VHS, but I'm still happy with it.

Can't wait to.see the jug take to the skies once-more..cheers, MP
Mysticpuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
westr

I adore the Spitfire and am looking to flying the Spit more than any other. But I do have a love for all WW2 warbirds and I know that the P-47 was a very effective warplane that shot down a lot of enemy aircraft. So I too want to see the P-47 given justice in DCS. It should be a very fast and effective weapon. With The flight models being worked on i'm sure we will get an accurate P-47, I think it is more a question of the AI effectiveness who at present do not miss a beat in air combat you have to get everything right in the air to defeat a FW-190 you cant afford to make many mistakes if any.
westr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
Scarecrow

Of the all the DCSWWII the Jug is my favourite.
I hope they spend alot of time on the DM for horses, I've seen footage of P47's free hunting horse drawn equipment convoys in the German countryside and it looks super fun vapourising a horse with a .50
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
Merlin-27
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
Of the all the DCSWWII the Jug is my favourite.
I hope they spend alot of time on the DM for horses, I've seen footage of P47's free hunting horse drawn equipment convoys in the German countryside and it looks super fun vapourising a horse with a .50
Man, that's pretty messed up. I doubt most of the actual pilots enjoyed killing horses...at least I'd like to think they didn't do it for "fun". You must really like kicking puppies too.

Moving right along,
I am very much looking forward to the Jug and to think of all of these amazing aircraft at DCS quality fighting in the same airspace gives me chills. One side note, if the AI damage model stays the same, you may never see an AI P-47 ever get shot down

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4
Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access
Merlin-27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
Phantom88

Big 18 cylinder Radial engine,Large,roomy cockpit,and 8 .50 cals.What's not to like??

Patrick
Phantom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
Mysticpuma

This is the closest I ever got to a P-47 in real life (while it's engine was running).
I had ky Canon XF100 on a tripod as it taxiied up to.me the day before the Camarillo Airshow in 2012. I was getting a little nervous as it got closer, but the Jug is such a beauty, I held my ground (also got a P-40 and 51)

Glorious engines - Wings over Camarillo P-40, P-51 and P-47 shot on a Canon XF100

Mysticpuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
Charly_Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
This is the closest I ever got to a P-47 in real life (while it's engine was running).
I had ky Canon XF100 on a tripod as it taxiied up to.me the day before the Camarillo Airshow in 2012. I was getting a little nervous as it got closer, but the Jug is such a beauty, I held my ground (also got a P-40 and 51)

Glorious engines - Wings over Camarillo P-40, P-51 and P-47 shot on a Canon XF100

I was lucky enough to get about just as close to a Spitfire Mk XIV, a P-40, a P-51, a F4U Corsair, a Hurricane and a Lancaster. All in the same day!

I know what you mean
Charly_Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #9
Royraiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/a...A&ved=0CB0QqwQ

I made a short machinima movie in 2007 about the fight for survival by Robert S.Johnson when he was hit by Cannon fire at 26,000 feet, knocked out, recovered but couldn't escape from his P-47 due to a jammed canopy and eventually was attacked on three separate occasions by Egon Mayer as he headed for England.
It's an incredible true story (although it's a P-47 Razorback). In comparison to newer HD machinima it's like watching a VHS, but I'm still happy with it.

Can't wait to.see the jug take to the skies once-more..cheers, MP
That encounter is featured on "Dogfights" on an episode dedicated to the Thunderbolt.Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G79dkS7EzPY (For some reason I cant embbed it)

Last edited by Royraiden; 10-13-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Royraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
gavagai

Alright, I'll add my $0.02.

The P-47 shot down more enemy aircraft than any other American fighter in WW2. That's right, more than the Mustang, Corsair, or Hellcat. The Jug was not merely a bomb truck. It had a higher service ceiling than any other American fighter, and the P-47M was the fastest piston engine fighter to serve in the ETO.

So there!
gavagai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
p-47, ww2