Pilot textures

pixelpilot

Hi all very pleased with the new ability to choose old fashioned or modern helmet along with pilot ethnicity. You do this by calling particular model IDs in the descriptions lua but because the textures are linked to the model I dont know how to define custom pilot, helmet, glass textures in the description.lua of a specific aircraft livery. Although flightsuit patches still work as they used to. Here's a couple of shots of a pilot i did today. I had to just backup the textures in the main p51 folder and put new ones in there, so now all my pilots will have this face helmet and suit.

Screen_120727_194906.jpg

Screen_120727_195201.jpg

Anybody know what i need to add in my description lua to make thes pilot textures livery specific?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMD Fx-8350 | ASUS M5A99X EVO | EVGA 1050G PS | Corsair Force 3 240GSSD

Samsung 840 EVO 500G SSD | 32G Corsair Vengance DDR3 | Seagate 1TB 7200RPMHD

WD 2TB 7200 RPMHD XFX DD FX-HD 7870 2GB DDR5 | SB Xi-Fi APU | W7 U | TIR3

MSFFB2 | Saitek X-52|SaitekPro Pedals | Logitech Z-640 5.1 | ASUS VE248 24" LCD

{"pilot_P51_body", 0 ,"pilot_P51_uniquename",false};

{"pilot_P51_helmet", 0 ,"pilot_P51_helmet_uniquename",false};

I used to use these lines (or similar) but they dont seem to work since 1.2.0. I think its because of the way we can choose the different head/helmet models. I guess the textures are linked to the p51_pilot.edm rather than the p51.edm and there is no description .lua for the pilot model.

Come to thunk of it mine don't work well anymore either.. I have not been flying DCS much ..

I managed to get a pilot skin with my face on it but I had a hard time lining it up with the model..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

the internal pilot model certainly doesnt use the same textures as the external pilot model. Since the 1.2.0 update the pilots face texture is seperate from the pilot body texture hence why any custom textures done pre patch dont line up right. I dont know where the internal pilot texture is stored. I hardly ever turn him on, on a side note does any one know a way to set him on by default for a given aircraft, He doesnt obscure anything in the Mustang really but probably does in the Shark and i beleive he is not available in the Hog. I think it would be great if the pilots face texture was actually a DCS World asset (rather than per module) that would be used specifically for player controlled aircraft/vehicles with an alternate generic one for ai.

when i enable the rshift P pilot his textures are all there yep Ali.

While messing about I've somehow got liveries that show the default pilot to have the orange missing texture but my custom ones are showing ok. any way its late o' clock, time for a sleep hopefully i'll solve it or at least get it back to working normally tommorrow.

when i enable the rshift P pilot his textures are all there yep Ali.

While messing about I've somehow got liveries that show the default pilot to have the orange missing texture but my custom ones are showing ok. any way its late o' clock, time for a sleep hopefully i'll solve it or at least get it back to working normally tommorrow.

lol so now you have no pilot textures LOLz !. same boat as me, up the clyde without a padle !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

after much messing about i am now using the line:

{"pilot_P51_helmet_A", 0 ,"pilot_P51_helmet_unique",false}; as this is how it is used in the Voodoo Airrace Description.lua

I have also deleted the line:

{"pilot_p51_helmet", 0 ,"pilot_p51_helmet",true} from every description.lua that still had it (i noticed the new skins since 1.2.0 dont have that line) there is no pilot_p51_helmet.dds in the bazaar/world/textures/P_51D folder and that is why my aircraft with default skins were showing the orange missing texture.

I am now at the stage where I have no missing textures and my custom helmets display correctly on a per livery basis. I cant figure out making custom visor glass, pilotface or flight suit show up consistantly in model viewer although they do show occasionally but never all together. For now tho i'm happy enough.

If i was desperate for my custom flight suit etc I could replace the files in bazaar/world/textures/P_51D but that would make all pilots look the same.

good work man ! this is the problem i face too right ?

after much messing about i am now using the line:

{"pilot_P51_helmet_A", 0 ,"pilot_P51_helmet_unique",false}; as this is how it is used in the Voodoo Airrace Description.lua

I have also deleted the line:

{"pilot_p51_helmet", 0 ,"pilot_p51_helmet",true} from every description.lua that still had it (i noticed the new skins since 1.2.0 dont have that line) there is no pilot_p51_helmet.dds in the bazaar/world/textures/P_51D folder and that is why my aircraft with default skins were showing the orange missing texture.

I am now at the stage where I have no missing textures and my custom helmets display correctly on a per livery basis. I cant figure out making custom visor glass, pilotface or flight suit show up consistantly in model viewer although they do show occasionally but never all together. For now tho i'm happy enough.

If i was desperate for my custom flight suit etc I could replace the files in bazaar/world/textures/P_51D but that would make all pilots look the same.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Following your advice I tried to modify the suit and helmet as in the pilot screen attached. I noticed that if a mission where, in addition to my custom pilot suit with P51D, P51D are others, in the latter not seen the suit by default. I solved the problem by editing descriptor.lua other aircraft forcing the suit by default.

My file .lua:

{"pilot_P51_patch", 0 ,"pilot_P51_patch_Mario",false};

{"pilot_P51_body", 0 ,"pilot_P51_01_VBS",false};

{"pilot_P51_helmet_A", 0 ,"pilot_p51_helmet_VBS3",false};

Other files .lua:

{"pilot_P51_patch", 0 ,"empty",true};

{"pilot_P51_body", 0 ,"pilot_P51",true};

{"pilot_P51_helmet_A", 0 ,"pilot_P51_helmet_a",true};

screen120804150426.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

screen120804150408.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by Markindel

• 11 months later...
Be nice if Pilot Textures/helmet style could be a GUI Tick box or something rather than delving in LUA files.

I am amazed at how many sim developers do nto think this is worth doing..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all the info. I was able to make a0 custom face, patches, helmet, and body texture.

Here is the text script I used. I put all my .dds files in the custom p-51D skin liveries directory.

{"pilot_P51_patch", 0 ,"pilot_P51_Vulture_patch",false}; --

{"pilot_P51_helmet_B", 0 ,"pilot_P51_helmet_Whip",false};

{"pilot_P51_body", 0 ,"pilot_P51_WWII",false};

{"pilot_P51_head_A", 0 ,"pilot_P51_head_WHIP",false};

Worked like a charm... But how are you able to get those close up shots? You can't really get that close by hitting F2 and zooming in.

Profile_zpscca8556c.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the street and then getting hit by an airplane."

Dogs of War Dedicated WWII Server Thread

How did you get the WWII pilot textures?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Part of the P-51 template.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I haven't been checking the forms lately. I just uploaded the pilot skin and corresponding 15th Army Air Force Patch to the user files section on the DCS main web page. I'll post a link in this forum once it has been reviewed and accepted. If you don't want to wait just PM your email and I will send it to anyone that would like it.

Just be warned, all it is a modified version of the pilot flight suit template made to look like a WWII pilot jacket and khakis. It's good from far but far from good.

Edited by Whiplash

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the street and then getting hit by an airplane."

• 2 weeks later...
Here is the Link to the WWII Pilot Textures

Downloaded and installed, but that's strange: I have grey modern helmet (old brown clothes are fine though)

I have added the 3 codes lines in the description lua, after DELETING the 3 original ones. Is that correct?

Also don't see any change in internal cockpit pilot. Still the modern green clothes one...any idea to make it work correctly?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Make sure the last line in your description file says id = 4 like the picture below

Temp2_zps5da25910.jpg

Not sure how to change the internal pilot yet... I don't really have the internal pilot enabled most of the time so this hasn't really been a an issue with me. If someone knows where the texture is located I'm sure it can be done.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]