Firing in RWS+LTWS Mode like in TWS? Correct behaviour?

Agathos_Deimon

Quick question.

According to the POH, Chucks Guide and several tutorials the RWS+LTWS mode doesn't provide enough track info for a firing solution and will change to another mode when hitting the trigger.

To see into which mode the F/A-18 will go i used my training mission. Used undesignate to get a star on one of the targets tracked in RWS+LTWS mode got into range and fired and AIM120C at around Rmax at 25. But to my suprise radar stayed in RWS+LTWS mode. I selected next target using undesignate and fired, than next, fire, next fire.

So this was excatly the same behaviour i would expect from TWS. But the entire time radar was in RWS+LTWS, 140°, 4 bars.

Is this behaviour correct?

DCS Version current stable build.

I also find it pretty difficult to recognize the true difference between TWS and RWS+LTWS in the Hornet. Would love if someone could shed some light on this :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Theoretically if you set i.e. 2 Bars and 20° search pattern for LTWS the refresh rate would be far higher than acceptable refresh rate in TWS (4B /40°) to support AMRAAM internal INS and mid course correction.

On the other hand maybe IRL LTWS simply will not send mid course correction for AMRAAM because of the logic of avionics, who know for sure.

Let's wait for the AMRAAM autopilot logic rework, it's in progress right now.

Edited by bies

TWS isn't providing midcourse updates atm, it's reported.

LTWS AMRAAM guidance is possible, but to ensure not losing the L&S, firing an AMRAAM in RWS should cause it to automatically switch to TWS with AUTO centering (it's missing, so it's reported). From there, going back to RWS is still possible, obviously for now you don't need to go back since it doesn't switch to TWS in the first place.

What Santi said. But the technical answer is basically that RWS and TWS aren't truly all that different. TWS just displays HAFUs for almost everything and has better scan options for keeping track of a target. However both process tracks the same and so AMRAAM guidance is basically the same in either. Nothing super magical happens when the radar switches to TWS mode from RWS.

TWS isn't providing midcourse updates atm, it's reported.

LTWS AMRAAM guidance is possible, but to ensure not losing the L&S, firing an AMRAAM in RWS should cause it to automatically switch to TWS with AUTO centering (it's missing, so it's reported). From there, going back to RWS is still possible, obviously for now you don't need to go back since it doesn't switch to TWS in the first place.

Are both bugs reported, Santi? Can we help with a track or report?

Stay safe

AIM120C needs more than auto pilot rework. They need a huge drag check. An AIM54 can destroy you from 45nm. An AIM120C you really need to be in the 15nm range HOT. If he goes cold the missile will lose its energy and not get to it. As it stands, I think its totally useless against a tomcat.