Need some Help with Settings - HP reverb

Notso

Something is strange.

I have virtually the same hardware and in 99.9% of the cases its the GPU that sets the limit.

But not 2.5.5, as he rolled back and didnt get a big improvement.

Ok that is odd on those settings he should t be getting anything like that cpu hit...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I have these settings:

[/img]

I didnt change that much. I'm leaning to think that your settings in nvidia CP can be at least part of the problem. I'm totally unable to understand your NVIDIA settings in Swedish. Sorry. What about mine looked wrong?

[/img]

Supersampling in the two, Video and per application doesnt work individual. It actually supersmaples x [per application] at least for mee when I did my setup. doing 150% in video and 150% in per application/DCS makes total go to 225% or something like.

This is most probably your number one setting killing fps and spiking CPU/GPU. Understood. I do not have both set to 150%. I know they are cumulative. I've tried one or the other at something > 100% but never both at the same time.

Motionsmoothing - I have it off. Same

[/img]

Make sure Pixel density is set to 1.0. Same

When I see your settings I Think theres a lot of high settings that'll bog the CPU/GPU.

The biggest problem is using supersampling in steam VR in both video and per application DCS as it both are in action times each other….but there is a lot of other "high settings".

My steamVR setting as per thuds guide at vr4dcs.com give me 100% = 2204x2160.

In you settings, some Picture show 100% = 2708x2652 = says 100% but it still is 150% as per pixelcount. I Think there might be quite much to change to be sure it will work perfect.

I'll work back through thud's guide on the NVIDIA controls.

See my answers in RED. thanks

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

So I fired up the F18 and went for a run in Las Vegas area. Instant action, Nevada.

[/img]

3.png' alt='3.png'>

WOW!! That looks nothing like what I was seeing. Even at very low settings with most stuff turned off - both the GPU and CPU was getting hammered - especially the CPU was solid red. I wonder if it was the F-16 module that was the issue. I'll try it with the Hornet to compare.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Do you have any rgb control software running?

I don't think so. What should I be looking for?

WOW!! That looks nothing like what I was seeing. Even at very low settings with most stuff turned off - both the GPU and CPU was getting hammered - especially the CPU was solid red. I wonder if it was the F-16 module that was the issue. I'll try it with the Hornet to compare.

Without Hammering on any specific vendor, the AJS37 Viggen and the F14 do not get the game running at all as smooth as F-18 and the Mirage 2K. It is a noticable difference. Just looked but I could see who makes the F-16...is it original eagle dynamics ?

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

OK holy cow! I think I just discovered something very interesting. SO I wanted to replicate what Gunnars Driver did with the same instant action / Free flight over Las Vegas in the F-18. I ran two trials in the Hornet following the same path I did with the F-16. TOTALLY different outcomes. I left all my settings the same as before (MSAAx2, Vis range high, AF 4x, shadows flat, etc) and run #1 was with Motion Smoothing in Steam VR set to 100% in both Global and DCS app with native resolution 2212 x 2160 and then re-ran the same flight path with the only change to set the DCS Motion Smoothing set to 150% (2708 x 2652). See the two screenshots. No issues with keeping a solid 45 fps and frametimes were reasonable. More importantly, I was getting buttery smooth flight and no judders at all.

So it seems to be an F-16 issue rather than a HW settings issue. Both the F-18 and F-16 screenshots were running 2.5.6 OB

658424078_F-18100.thumb.PNG.fcdf110175890e7d78430fe99c746541.PNG

2073485712_F-18150.thumb.PNG.51fbf5adbf2f256129bc2d2498126b38.PNG

OK holy cow! I think I just discovered something very interesting. SO I wanted to replicate what Gunnars Driver did with the same instant action / Free flight over Las Vegas in the F-18. I ran two trials in the Hornet following the same path I did with the F-16. TOTALLY different outcomes. I left all my settings the same as before (MSAAx2, Vis range high, AF 4x, shadows flat, etc) and run #1 was with Motion Smoothing in Steam VR set to 100% in both Global and DCS app with native resolution 2212 x 2160 and then re-ran the same flight path with the only change to set the DCS Motion Smoothing set to 150% (2708 x 2652). See the two screenshots. No issues with keeping a solid 45 fps and frametimes were reasonable. More importantly, I was getting buttery smooth flight and no judders at all.

So it seems to be an F-16 issue rather than a HW settings issue. Both the F-18 and F-16 screenshots were running 2.5.6 OB

Not sure what you are concluding there, but just a point, it is not 'Motion Smoothing in SteamVR', it is 'Super Sampling in SteamVR'.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Not sure what you are concluding there, but just a point, it is not 'Motion Smoothing in SteamVR', it is 'Super Sampling in SteamVR'.

custom video settings mate... per application:thumbup:

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

custom video settings mate... per application:thumbup:

???

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

@Notso: suggest rolling back to 2.5.5. (Already said by others but as a reminder)

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Motion Smoothing in steam VR :

Sorry, that was not my point. He kept on referring to 'SteamVR Motion Smoothing set to xxx', when what he actually meant was 'SteamVR Super Sampling set to xxx'. Nothing to do with Motion Smoothing!

No problem!

Sorry, that was not my point. He kept on referring to 'SteamVR Motion Smoothing set to xxx', when what he actually meant was 'SteamVR Super Sampling set to xxx'. Nothing to do with Motion Smoothing!

Yes, you are correct. I was getting those two terms mixed up. Thanks.

On a related note, I'm assuming the "Use Legacy reprojection mode" needs to be off? What does it do?

• 1 year later...
On 4/2/2020 at 2:17 AM, Notso said:

Yes, you are correct. I was getting those two terms mixed up. Thanks.

On a related note, I'm assuming the "Use Legacy reprojection mode" needs to be off? What does it do?

Dude, did you ever get your performance problem fixed?   

I know's it's been over a year but for me I had the same issue when I had reprojection switched on in WMR  AND motion smoothing FORCED/ENABLED in SteamVR.  I fixed it by disabling motion smoothing in SteamVR and only using the WMR reprojection to motion vector.  Terrain shadows off made also a big difference for me.

6 hours ago, Bog9y said:

Dude, did you ever get your performance problem fixed?   

I know's it's been over a year but for me I had the same issue when I had reprojection switched on in WMR  AND motion smoothing FORCED/ENABLED in SteamVR.  I fixed it by disabling motion smoothing in SteamVR and only using the WMR reprojection to motion vector.  Terrain shadows off made also a big difference for me.

Yes and no.  Thanks for asking.  I was literally about to post a question about some performance issues that just cropped up in the last week or so.  Prior to that, I had it working well with smooth frame rates and good detail.  But lately - and I don't know if it's tied to 2.7 or not - my VR experience in game has been jittery and the cockpit just floats around and then snaps back and floats and snaps back.  That's happening all the time but mostly when I'm sitting on the ground and look down into the cockpit.  I'm wondering if I need to change some setting post in nvidia or Steam VR post 2.7.  Have any of you guys come across this?

Yes, I had it when the cable connection of my Reverb G1 was a bit loose (the connector that's about 1 ft from the headseat, that brittle plasticcy thing). Securing it again and taping it up sorted that problem.  

Also, make sure you have good lights and have reset your environment in WMR if you have changed the area where you play. 

2.7 has screwed things up for me in VR, I'm not impressed tbh. The clouds look like crap, they jitter and are performance hogs on my system. No idea how some people say that they look great and improve performance. 

Edited by Bog9y