F-18 pitches steeply and cannot reset trim

boundless84

I've had this happen a few times and I'm not sure what's happening. Most recently it happens when I try and fly the "Eastern Friendship - An F/A-18 Single Player Mission by Sedlo (ver 1.5)" mission.

When I take off the plane pulls up steeply and basically does a loop that I have to push hard nose down to try and correct.

I've tried resetting the FCS. I have manually cycled through the flap positions and they make no difference.

What am I missing or doing wrong?

I should also note that other missions it doesn't happen. Example, the Takeoff and Navigation in Caucasus works just fine. And like I said, another mission I flew, I think one I made myself, I took off and flew just fine. Landed at Nellis, went to take off again, and the stabilizers seemed stuck in a pull position and without any input on the joystick the plane pulls back hard into a loop. And I have no idea what I'm doing wrong or what happens to cause this.

Edited by boundless84

As soon as you go Flaps auto Trimming is automatic. With Flaps Half Full "Trimming" is required but you are not actually moving the stab. Its pretty complex but in fact all you are doing is setting a reference AOA in the FCS that becomes part of the calculation and provides feedback loops for he pilot.

This is a known bug and has been reported. IRL you wouldn't raise the flaps immediately after take-off as the aircraft could easily settle back down again. A few Hornets were lost as a result of this. Ideally and IIRC you want to wait until approx 4 degrees AoA and then bring them up as this is how the FCS schedules to 1G flight.

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

I've had something similar on a bolter ... stick full forward and the nose keeps climbing.

Because you have your flaps out and you're probably leaving the power on. Climb out at your "on speed" speed.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

I had a bug happen to me few times where no matter what I do.

Flaps to AUTO AP hold or anything really would make my F-18 pitch up like crazy.

The only way I found a fix for it is to disable the FCS circut breakers then enable them again and pressing FCS reset

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Youtube

Reddit

Happens to me aswell - only after T/O and I fix it by going through FLAPS settings (full -> half -> auto) quickly and it's gone.

DCS World 2.5.x | F-14 | F/A-18C | AV-8B | AJS-37 | A10C | M-2000C | F-15C | MiG-21 | Hawk | FW190 | BF109K | Spitfire Mk. IX | P-51D | Gazelle | UH-1H | MI-8 | BS | CA | Persian Gulf | Normandy | NTTR

Win10-x64 | ASUS Strix Z270H Gaming | Intel i7-7700K | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | SSD Samsung 850 | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Pedals | Oculus Rift CV1

• 1 year later...
The inability to push the nose down after a bolter is wrong, AWE pointed this out in his youtube videos.

has this ever been fixed?

• Like 1

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

You can fix this in the air....

Go under 250kts

Dump gear and flaps 1

Press takeoff trim (yes, in the air..)

Clean up

Pitch up issue is resolved.

To prevent, always make sure to flaps 1 and takeoff trim before you roll. Also prior takeoff, but after startup etc, if you type Y into chat, ie "hi Billy" then it will reset you FCS, so just press takeoff trim again

. . . . . . .

Every module/ map except the dual winged joke.

Well we all learn to deal with unfinished parts of PA mode in couple of flights. Well, maybe 3 ;)

In the properly functioning FCS logic leaving the flaps down (half or full) would not cause indefinite pitch-up to maintain your initial T/O pitch setting.

For instance, if after T/O you raised your gear and left your flaps down the FCS would take care of the mode transition to UA. The flaps would be raised at proper speed (AOA) with the flap switch still in down position on whatever setting you left it. The flaps light would be on (amber). Slowing down to below 240 (?) would start a smooth transition to PA mode again unless the flap switch was raised to auto before.

Druid touched on this in his earlier post.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I am experiencing this right now. Started happening about 1 week ago. F18 and F14 when using default missions, such as Nevada Free Flight under instant mission. MP my trims seem to work fine.

i7-8086k CPU @4.00GHz

Mem: 32GB

EVGA 1080ti

SSD - 500 GB X 3

HDD - 1 TB

I have found ensuring we have set the flaps properly right from the get go always prevents this from happening...

However, It is good to know a work around in flight for when I experience a little lack of awareness and get careless while taking off from the carrier. When I have tried taking off with the flaps in an incorrect setting then once in the air and the gear is raised the aircraft might pitch up strongly, seem somewhat unresponsive to trim adjustment, have an auto-trim setting that shows the stabs making the aircraft pitch up and it doesn't want to seem to reset the flaps. I found that slowing right down, lowering the gear and putting the flaps in the take off position then raising the gear and putting the flaps up before gaining speed will re-trim the aircraft via the FCS. This allows to get control of the aircraft without having to restart. I am sure some more capable people will help with more of the technical voodoo.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck and happy flying!

I just had a thought. About a month ago I switched the setting for 'synchromize w/ hotas at startup' (or similar) to be on. Prior to that, when starting one of the built-in missions on the carrier, the flaps were always automatically set to 'half'. Now the flaps are automatically set to what ever position my switch is in. I am learning to always check it now because it depends on how I ended the prior flight. If I had landed and then hit 'restart' my flaps switch is in full so I'd be starting in full. If I hit 'restart' while flying the flaps is in 'up' or 'auto'. So maybe some problems for some people might depend on their 'synchronize' setting.