HELP Track IR

I need help with Track IR in DCS. I don't know if it's just how this game does viewing, but my track IR is dependent on the path that I take rather than just the current location and orientation.

For example, two different ways to get to the same position in real life, but two different results in virtual sim. If I lean forward and then look up, my virtual self leans forward and then looks up. If I do the reverse order, meaning if I first look up and then lean forward my virtual self looks up and then gets a slight zoom, but doesn't move forward.

Another example. If I first turn my head starboard, and then lean starboard my virtual self leans port into the center of the seat (can't see behind me). If instead I first lean starboard and then turn my head starboard, then it looks over the starboard (right) wing.

This has always bothered me some, that the order of operations matters. But this is a big deal in the bf109, its making me very nauseous. Looking around is way harder than it needs to be. Is there a way to make my virtual view based solely on my real life position? Meaning leaning forward in real life correlate to leaning forward in virtual, leaning port in real life correlates to leaning port in virtual, leaning starboard in real life correlates to leaning starboard in virtual?

Edited by XAiracobraX

Intel i7-10700k, 32GB DDR4, GTX 1080 8GB, 1TB NVMe SSD, LG32GK850G 2560x1440 Monitor, Noctua u12a cooler

I need help with Track IR in DCS. I don't know if it's just how this game does viewing, but my track IR is dependent on the path that I take rather than just the current location and orientation.

For example, two different ways to get to the same position in real life, but two different results in virtual sim. If I lean forward and then look up, my virtual self leans forward and then looks up. If I do the reverse order, meaning if I first look up and then lean forward my virtual self looks up and then gets a slight zoom, but doesn't move forward.

Another example. If I first turn my head starboard, and then lean starboard my virtual self leans port into the center of the seat (can't see behind me). If instead I first lean starboard and then turn my head starboard, then it looks over the starboard (right) wing.

This has always bothered me some, that the order of operations matters. But this is a big deal in the bf109, its making me very nauseous. Looking around is way harder than it needs to be. Is there a way to make my virtual view based solely on my real life position? Meaning leaning forward in real life correlate to leaning forward in virtual, leaning port in real life correlates to leaning port in virtual, leaning starboard in real life correlates to leaning starboard in virtual?

To your questions in the last part.

Yes!

It's a matter of tweaking it how you want it.

I've been using it for 6 months, and I constantly change it, a little. I also used to have somewhat different profiles for different modules, but I might have found my sweetspot now.

What kind of TrackIR do have?

Real or copy?

Have you actually checked out some YT videos, just to see how others do it?

I did and that just saved me.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I have a Track IR 5, using the hat clip. I have had it working fine in other games, FSX, Grit, IL2 1946, il2 BOX, X-plane. I am happy with the Track IR software profiles that I have. My problem is the controls that they are by default mapped to in game. I prefer that if I lean forward, I don't want to the view to zoom, I want the view origin to be closer to the nose of the aircraft. And regardless if I am looking forward or over a wing, when I lean right I want the view origin to move closer to the right wing.

The controls that track IR gets mapped to by default don't operate this way. Is there a different set of controls that I should be mapping to instead?

The difference is having your view blocked by the armor over head in the bf109 versus being able to see up, or being able to check six versus being able to check your seat belt.

Edited by XAiracobraX

Intel i7-10700k, 32GB DDR4, GTX 1080 8GB, 1TB NVMe SSD, LG32GK850G 2560x1440 Monitor, Noctua u12a cooler

I have a Track IR 5, using the hat clip. I have had it working fine in other games, FSX, Grit, IL2 1946, il2 BOX, X-plane. I am happy with the Track IR software profiles that I have. My problem is the controls that they are by default mapped to in game. I prefer that if I lean forward, I don't want to the view to zoom, I want the view origin to be closer to the nose of the aircraft. And regardless if I am looking forward or over a wing, when I lean right I want the view origin to move closer to the right wing.

The controls that track IR gets mapped to by default don't operate this way. Is there a different set of controls that I should be mapping to instead?

The difference is having your view blocked by the armor over head in the bf109 versus being able to see up, or being able to check six versus being able to check your seat belt.

Ahhhhh....okay. Sorry. Totally misread you.

For me it works as expected out of the box, exactly how I want it.

But whenever I find the "leaning in"/zoom too much. I just change the z axis sensitivity. Or similar for the other axis. I have never messed with in-game TrackIR settings.

And I've never used TrackIR in another game as well. Or does it work in Elite Dangerous? Yup, tried it there, worked exactly like DCS.

So I'm afraid, either I don't get what you need, or I just prefer it different to you. I hope somebody else are able to help you.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I guess I want it to work as if I am strapped in a cockpit. I guess my impression is that when strapped in I wouldn't be able to turn my body a full 180, but more like looking over my shoulder. It has to do with leaning left right forward only, I think.

Edited by XAiracobraX

My problem is the controls that they are by default mapped to in game. I prefer that if I lean forward, I don't want to the view to zoom, I want the view origin to be closer to the nose of the aircraft. And regardless if I am looking forward or over a wing, when I lean right I want the view origin to move closer to the right wing.

You have to map Track IR Z axis to moving head forward/back instead of zoom.

You have to map Track IR Z axis to moving head forward/back instead of zoom.

Can the Z axis be slaved to one of your flight controls?

I move around a lot in my chair but I want my view of the cockpit to be the same except when I'm trying to see an instrument cluster or the HUD.

I have the older Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS and I want to slave to zoom axis to one of the round rotating knobs on the throttle control that way I can zoom in and back out again instantly while I am flying or I can zoom in partially to the HUD when in a fight. Don't like the way the track IR zoom sometimes paste your face right against the HUD. want to adjust it little by little using the the rotating knobs.

My Track IR Z axis is mapped to the Head Tracker: forward/back, but when looking straight up it does work "forward/back", maybe its only with the bf109, or only when looking 90 degrees. I will try another plane and see if it is with 90 degrees.

My Track IR Z axis is mapped to the Head Tracker: forward/back, but when looking straight up it does work "forward/back", maybe its only with the bf109, or only when looking 90 degrees. I will try another plane and see if it is with 90 degrees.

Make sure to tick "TrueView" in the Track IR software option. So that translation are relative to rotation. This way if your view is rotated 90 to the right and you translate forward, your virtual head will translate to the right, closer the right wing instead of closer to the front windows.

Can the Z axis be slaved to one of your flight controls?

I move around a lot in my chair but I want my view of the cockpit to be the same except when I'm trying to see an instrument cluster or the HUD.

I have the older Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS and I want to slave to zoom axis to one of the round rotating knobs on the throttle control that way I can zoom in and back out again instantly while I am flying or I can zoom in partially to the HUD when in a fight. Don't like the way the track IR zoom sometimes paste your face right against the HUD. want to adjust it little by little using the the rotating knobs.

Your Track IR Z axis should be mapped to translate head forward/back instead of zoom, then to zoom you have different option. You could use button to increment/decrement, or use an axis.

I'm not sure how your knob work, please explain me, does it modify an axis or does it send different button pulse depending if you rotate it one way or the other?

Edited by Ant0ine

HELP Track IR [sOLVED]

I'll check the "TrueView" setting I don't know what that is set to. Might be my problem thanks.

Edited by XAiracobraX
To write solved in title

HELP Track IR [sOLVED]

OH MY! That was IT, thank you so much. I had TrueView checked for my DCS profile, and all my others were unchecked. I feel silly. Your description of "translation relative to motion" was exactly what I was experiencing and what I didn't want. SO much better now.

Edited by XAiracobraX