copying key setting from one modeule to another?

Is there a "easy" way to reuse at least part of the key file configuration from one module to another?

Let's imagine I have a cockpit that I do not want to reprogram each time when I switch from the AV8 to the F-18 to the F16.

It's actually much easier to have each module calling the same keys for the same actions although I understand some will be specific

but

Gear, flaps, lights, ICP, MFDs etc etc will always be needed in these aircraft,

I don't really see the reason why these bindings are different by default from one module to another?

So these common bindings is what I am trying to get on the same programming for different (but semblable avionics) modules.

That would allow my cockpit and my HOTAS file to work always the same way eventhough I may change aircraft

Currently the only way I have found is to go command by command and assign the same keystrokes, but this is really time consuming and I doubt I am the only one doing this.

Any method or point to a topic is welcome. Made a quick search about this but came up either too general or not relevant to my question at all. Od course finding the right keyword may be the issue too :)

Thanks for inputs you guys may have

Have a Bandit Day

Red Dog

[sIGPIC]

http://www.ravico.com/ST/perso/Sig_generale.png

[/sIGPIC]

I have found over the last several years of my DCS hobby, whenever I did try to find an easier way to set up my controls after a new build, I would end up spending way more time trying to find it than it would have taken me just to go in and set them up from scratch.

So my last build I did first of 2019, I just did em from scratch lol. Really did not take that long.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• ED Team

Inputs are complex and different for each aircraft, it is best to map each aircraft individually.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On my case, I opted to do all my Control Bindings using the Software of my HOTAS .. that way, I've never been hit by the bindings lost plague that seems to be so common .. I store my HOTAS configuration files on a Cloud drive for safekeeping, like this:

vEWKUwd.jpg

The only items that I do have to setup on the DCS Controls page, are the Axes .. all the Hats and buttons are safely stored on the HOTAS software :smartass:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Inputs are complex and different for each aircraft, it is best to map each aircraft individually.
Some are I agree, but honestly that answer is probably motivated because of lacking to understand what I am trying to achieve :)

A MFD push button is the same, the harrier, the F-18, the F-16 and many others have them.

Having a TM MFD for instance if you have common assignation for the MFDS throughout all modules (or most of them using them anyway) then you don't have to reprogram your MFds each time you switch aircraft.

There are many other examples

ICPs, Gear, airbrakes, flaps, lights, trims, etc etc; All this are most of the time common to the modules.

Managing those are the reason for my question.

As I said in my first post - I am aware of the specificties of the modules. But an aircraft is always an aircraft with common stuff all around

Have a Bandit Day

Red Dog

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

On my case, I opted to do all my Control Bindings using the Software of my HOTAS .. that way, I've never been hit by the bindings lost plague that seems to be so common .. I store my HOTAS configuration files on a Cloud drive for safekeeping, like this:

Thank you. Unfortunately in my case having a 100% (err, 95) implemented cockpit, it is not an option for me to reprogram the whole pit whenever I am changing aircraft.

This is actually make me stick with one module only (hence less sale for DCS) because of the hassle to reprogram the pit buttons.

It's quite easy to do for a Hotas with less than 40 entries, it's a bit more tedious with a 250+ entries of a cockpit of which many might be used and many others not due to the obvious specificities of one aircraft against the other.

Still reprogramming is not an option. It's much faster to reprogram the DCS module keybindings,

which is what I am doing but wondering simply if there is a faster, better way to address this that I may have missed.

Apparently not :)

I have found over the last several years of my DCS hobby, whenever I did try to find an easier way to set up my controls after a new build, I would end up spending way more time trying to find it than it would have taken me just to go in and set them up from scratch.So my last build I did first of 2019, I just did em from scratch lol. Really did not take that long.

Thank you

It's not the end of the world, if you do it once and for all. It's tedious and time consuming but in the end, it is quite possible.

the advantage is that it's part of the learning process of each module, so that adds up nicely to some extend.

That reassures me to my ability to understand this but there is obvious room for improvement IMHO on that aspect.

If one of you has a way to ease the process, I'll keep my ears open.

Thanks

Edited by Red Dog

Have a Bandit Day

Red Dog

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

I may be stupid. But I fix my setup "once" for every "new" module.

It's still the same whenever I switch between them.

Today I've been in all 4 choppers. Settings for the BS are from several years ago.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Is there a "easy" way to reuse at least part of the key file configuration from one module to another?

Let's imagine I have a cockpit that I do not want to reprogram each time when I switch from the AV8 to the F-18 to the F16.

It's actually much easier to have each module calling the same keys for the same actions although I understand some will be specific

but

Gear, flaps, lights, ICP, MFDs etc etc will always be needed in these aircraft,

I don't really see the reason why these bindings are different by default from one module to another?

Because you might have a different Input devices for different modules, like you might want to use a F/A-18C style throttle when flying it, and switch to Su-35 style throttle when flying Su-33.

I stopped binding anything extra to my HOTAS since I got VR and DCS started to support hand controllers so the virtual hands you see in cockpit can be used to operate your cockpit.

The immersion went ^10 by that. No more flaps, gears, lights etc in any bindings for joystick or throttle if they do not belong there in the real aircraft either. Everything else in the cockpit is required to be done by moving hands in the cockpit and flipping switches and pressing buttons in the actual virtual cockpit.

Time to learn a new module went minimal, because you create muscle memory quickly by moving hands around the cockpit, you learn new places, new settings, new procedures etc far faster by using your actual hands to operate aircraft than using unreal bindings in HOTAS.

You might be locked to TrackIR and keyboard + simple joystick etc, but that is then the own problem.

Currently the only way I have found is to go command by command and assign the same keystrokes, but this is really time consuming and I doubt I am the only one doing this.

There is only so few modules really, and setting them up while on the go is not so time consuming really.

It is not like you need to do it each time you start flying or you buy new controllers each week.

The DCS has basic default bindings for common things, like Space bar for firing guns, Alt+Space to launch missiles, G for gears etc etc. You can just bind those, save the profile and then load the profile to new aircraft. But you can't get unique functions from one module to another one.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Totally agree but there could be a bit more standardisation.

Names: Airbrakes, speedbrakes, SPDB etc... different names for the same stuff, some aircraft have a few more options then the standard ones but one basic name should be kept, either airbrakes or speedbrakes or whatever...

Functions: Why does every single aircraft have to have F1 through F12 setup over and over again. These could be put into the General part, same goes with Active Pause, Pause, Restart mission and so on... there's lots of them.

I always wondered if there are really people out there who use a different key combo's for this like Active Pause etc... for each aircraft.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!