Best Operating Regime?

Zadren

I am slowly getting to grips with the Spit, and am beginning to explore its potential. But she's been a tricky beast to get used to (first serious attempt at flying props.)

One thing I'm wondering is at what altitude I am going to get the best out of her? The LF designation would have me think that operating at low level would be optimal, but best speed seems to be achieved at about 22000. Obviously you have to fight where there enemy is, but given the opposition, where is the Spitfire best employed?

Any and all advice appreciated :)

I usually climb plus 5000 from the highest mountain top in my plan at +4/2650 160-180 mph then on reaching cruise altitude, lower that to -4/1800 and struggle with controls. This usually gets me from Bes to Bat in an hour or hour and twenty with a full extended final from the sea shoreward at Batumi, clocked at 2500 feet and set to land with reducing speeds of 120-100 mph and a final flare at 95-90 mph, with constant tail and elevator trimming.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.