Saitek rudder, brake calibration

Eagle7907

I've been having a nagging issue with these pedals and I'm about at wits end. The issue is when ever I need slow down or stop, the aircraft brakes in the sim "grab" or have a tendency to go either full on or immediately apply. There isn't any gradual application. I've check the axis settings and I do have a curve set to allow the desired effect, but still no luck with solving this behavior. It does it in the F5E too. Impossible to slow down without drag chute and stay on runway. I have my curves dialed back to around a 30 setting. The windows game controller test shows no spikes or unusual behaviors there. ???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Just guessing, try to reverse the brake axis itself. It might be, that until your first pedal press, the program doesn't recognise it, but as you press, it goes into full on. To confirn the problem, next time when it catches on, try to press both brakes full in. If after that you are able to rall again, with brake pedals pressed, then the issue is what I mentioned, brake axis reversed.

Are you also sure you did not assign the keyboard command of wheel brake to something, maybe to the pedal, but as a key, not as an axis?

Chechk in the programming software's test page (or you can even check it starting up MS Word), if there are any (wheel brake) keyboard command output when pressing the pedals.

Edited by Razor18

Just guessing, try to reverse the brake axis itself. It might be, that until your first pedal press, the program doesn't recognise it, but as you press, it goes into full on. To confirn the problem, next time when it catches on, try to press both brakes full in. If after that you are able to rall again, with brake pedals pressed, then the issue is what I mentioned, brake axis reversed.

Are you also sure you did not assign the keyboard command of wheel brake to something, maybe to the pedal, but as a key, not as an axis?

Chechk in the programming software's test page (or you can even check it starting up MS Word), if there are any (wheel brake) keyboard command output when pressing the pedals.

1. It already is reversed for both left and right brakes. Because when I don't have reversed checked, then the aircraft won't move normally. You have to press the pedals to allow it to move.

2. It is assign to the axis portion in the control assignments. I don't believe its assigned as a key.

3. Where do I find this test page?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

First, check what would be the in game key command for wheel brake, if there is any, can't remember. That's the key you don't want to appear when testing. For testing outputs, go into Saitek programming software, and in the top row you will find a crosshair and a gear symbol. With the crosshair, you reload the profile, whenever you change something (saving only, doesn't apply that simultaneously). With the gear symbol pressed, a blank test field poppes up, and you can check what keyboard commands are generated by pressing any joystick button. Axes are not displayed, so in fact nothing should appear there, if you press brake pedal (or move joystick or any axis). But as mentioned, Word will do the same test for you, unless you assigned some combos. Those only appear in the Saitek test page.

Brake pedal axis movement you can check in the Pedal programming app, same Saitek app, as for joystick, but specifically for the pedal. Right click on the pedal icon in the system tray, and go into programming mode, and check if the pedal axes are working OK. Don't remember, maybe there is a test field also within the pedal programming software too? Also there the in-game wheel brake command should not appear either, when pressing brake pedal.

First, check what would be the in game key command for wheel brake, if there is any, can't remember. That's the key you don't want to appear when testing. For testing outputs, go into Saitek programming software, and in the top row you will find a crosshair and a gear symbol. With the crosshair, you reload the profile, whenever you change something (saving only, doesn't apply that simultaneously). With the gear symbol pressed, a blank test field poppes up, and you can check what keyboard commands are generated by pressing any joystick button. Axes are not displayed, so in fact nothing should appear there, if you press brake pedal (or move joystick or any axis). But as mentioned, Word will do the same test for you, unless you assigned some combos. Those only appear in the Saitek test page.

Brake pedal axis movement you can check in the Pedal programming app, same Saitek app, as for joystick, but specifically for the pedal. Right click on the pedal icon in the system tray, and go into programming mode, and check if the pedal axes are working OK. Don't remember, maybe there is a test field also within the pedal programming software too? Also there the in-game wheel brake command should not appear either, when pressing brake pedal.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try all of this as soon as I get done with a trip. I don't recall testing in the saitek software. Hopefully that will provide results.

Well, I didn't get anywhere solving my issue. But, the irony is spot on. I did see that 'W' is the key used for brakes in the sim. After that I proceeded into the saitek software. I checked the left pedal. Nothing. Pressed down on the right. Snap! Ping!

Nooooooo!

Well there went those. Rest in pieces.

Bought 01/2011, broken 08/2017.

The plastic part that holds one end of the tension spring for the pedal broke. So I have a limp pedal. The wife knew of a pill to fix that.

The good news is I fixed my problem. MFG Crosswinds are coming soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have the Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals and the right pedal connection stopped working, probably disconnected? Will pull them apart one day, I'm going to get the MFG's soon too Eagle7907.

For now Eagle7907 while you wait, just assign "both" brakes on the A10 to the left pedal, it's way easier anyway, with the unrealistic small pedal movement we have, this way I can keep her nice and straight at least.:)

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

• 3 weeks later...

Just got them today. Assembly was pretty easy with the video instructions. The feel is superb! However, I did notice that they tend to tilt over when placing or moving feet off of pedals. Not sure how to fix that. Almost like the base is too skinny at the front.

Just got them today. Assembly was pretty easy with the video instructions. The feel is superb! However, I did notice that they tend to tilt over when placing or moving feet off of pedals. Not sure how to fix that. Almost like the base is too skinny at the front.

If I was you, I would go to your local hardware and grab a piece of board roughly the same size as the pedals 19 x 12 inches and some nuts and bolts and fix them down through the base holes that are drilled.

Maybe add some Velcro to the underside of the board if you are on carpet or extend the board depth to reach the wall perhaps? That is one reason sim cockpits are good as they hold you, the seat and all the controls in a adjustable / fixed position.

Similar to this example below, minus the center stick setup he's adding, by the looks of it anyway:

attachment.php?attachmentid=120584&d=1439655399

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Oh ok. That looks and actually sounds better. I do have carpet but was considering just getting wood screws and secure it to the floor. But I do like that idea better in case of needing to move it out of the way quickly.

I'm thinking I'd like to do a wood core with rubber or vinyl casing so to prevent splinters and better eye appeal. Any ideas on where to find materials to do this? Sure a lumber store for just a wood base, but what about something like I'm talking?

BTW, thanks for your advice. I appreciate it greatly!

Edited by Eagle7907

You know what, I think I know the answer to that already. Isn't there rubber seal spray? Has anyone tried that?

Perhaps just use a pre finished board / Laminated etc.

Then put feet in the corners, that will help stop them move around on the carpet, it looks like he did that in the last picture I posted, you see the bolts coming through.

This will also raise the pedal base off the ground, you then are able to bolt the pedals from underneath, this would be better and last longer than just screwing them down to something, as this will loosen off after some use.

Ball-Jointed-Levelling-Feet.jpg

Having a smooth surface could be good if you were to ever want the MFG combat pedal conversion when released? If the floor had grip it might drag / catch on your heal, I have the saitek combat rudder pedals which are smooth.

You could look / ask a around local bench top and or joinery businesses, to see if anyone uses a similar material as the pedals? I can buy this here in Australia, not sure about the US? Only had a quick look, it is quite expensive and you really only need a very small piece. A local guy should be able to give you "something" that will suit in his shop, perhaps offer him a 6 pack of beer etc.

Concept

fGqQgSR.jpg

Edited by David OC

I copy all. Thanks for the advice. I'll post my finished product here. Hopefully this will be a quick project and I can get back in the skies.