RP-522 Jettisoning and Cost

Horns

The air-to-air training mission suggests that we should jettison the RP-522 external fuel tank in order to minimize drag and gain the chance to activate the FBW air-to-air mode. Is this an optimization we get the liberty to perform thanks to flying in DCS as opposed to real life, or is this tank usually jettisoned in real life too? Can anyone guesstimate the cost of these tanks (eg 1k, 10k, 50k etc)?

Neither question is super important, I am just curious.

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

The air-to-air training mission suggests that we should jettison the RP-522 external fuel tank in order to minimize drag and gain the chance to activate the FBW air-to-air mode. Is this an optimization we get the liberty to perform thanks to flying in DCS as opposed to real life, or is this tank usually jettisoned in real life too? Can anyone guesstimate the cost of these tanks (eg 1k, 10k, 50k etc)?

Neither question is super important, I am just curious.

It isn’t specific to Mirage 2000, but no, the external tanks aren’t expandable, they are dropped only in case of absolute necessity.

Like during Kosovo where some Mirage 2000D had to drop wing tanks to evade SAM.

Contrary to WW2 or Korea, the external tanks are built to last and expensive.

But if you have to dogfight Vs a MiG-29, this is a legitimate reason. Just it doesn’t happen everyday IRL :D

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

It isn’t specific to Mirage 2000, but no, the external tanks aren’t expandable, they are dropped only in case of absolute necessity.

Like during Kosovo where some Mirage 2000D had to drop wing tanks to evade SAM.

Contrary to WW2 or Korea, the external tanks are built to last and expensive.

That's exactly what I wanted to know, thanks for clarifying :)

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

Also, you generally don't want to drop a couple hundred lb fuel tank on some random civilians head if you don't have to. :lol:

Haha, I did wonder about that! I can just imagine some unlucky guy getting crapped on by bird, thinking “great, what else could go wrong?” and looking up...

Haha, I did wonder about that! I can just imagine some unlucky guy getting crapped on by bird, thinking “great, what else could go wrong?” and looking up...

Yeah haha, for realism I try to keep them on if I can. If you are carrying a centerline tank for air to air, once it's about empty you can put the FBW switch to air to air. The only problem it causes is some extra drag. Plus, it's nice to keep if you end up refueling and want the extra fuel.

Yeah haha, for realism I try to keep them on if I can. If you are carrying a centerline tank for air to air, once it's about empty you can put the FBW switch to air to air. The only problem it causes is some extra drag. Plus, it's nice to keep if you end up refueling and want the extra fuel.

I didn't think about getting to refill the external tank and I didn't know the fbw could be changed with an empty tank, thanks!

I didn't think about getting to refill the external tank and I didn't know the fbw could be changed with an empty tank, thanks!

Fuselage tank is allowed to 9G once empty.

But with wing tanks you are supposed to stay on CHARGES mode.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Fuselage tank is allowed to 9G once empty.

But with wing tanks you are supposed to stay on CHARGES mode.

Ah ok cool, thanks for explaining that, much appreciated

Slightly off topic, but russia apparently had designated points to drop tanks during excersises.

People would then go in and collect the tanks because they could build stuff out if it, like rain collectors etc.

Apparently russia didn't care for it's tanks much XD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GCI: "Control to SEAD: Enemy SAM site 190 for 30, cleared to engage"

Striker: "Copy, say Altitude?"

GCI: "....Deck....it´s a SAM site..."

Striker: "Oh...."

Fighter: "Yeah, those pesky russian build, baloon based SAMs."

-Red-Lyfe

Best way to troll DCS community, make an F-16A, see how dedicated the fans really are :thumbup: