How to Create a Dedicated Server. 10 Easy Steps

Hey thanks interceptor. I checked it out looks good. What do uou think (I don't speak German but from what I understood you have large X6). Good deal if you ask me but simple to set up?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

will do. Thanks again Interceptor. (Y)

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

really simple.

You only have to install drivers for the HD4200 and Teamviewer/VNC. (RDP works also, but need some tweaks)

Take a look at http://serverboerse.de/en/, should be more cheaply.

The HD4200 is that the built in graphics chip on the intel CPU?

Would that suffice for the graphic card requirement?

IAF.ViFF

http://www.preflight.us

Israel's Combat Flight Sim Community Website

• 1 month later...
really simple.

You only have to install drivers for the HD4200 and Teamviewer/VNC. (RDP works also, but need some tweaks)

Take a look at http://serverboerse.de/en/, should be more cheaply.

Hi!

Would you please tell me how to get RDP work on virtual machine?

Gametrix JetSeats thread (in English) ,

SimShaker addon for bass-shakers thread (in English),

Andre's blog, downloads, manuals (in English).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Hi, there's a conflicting setting in step 6 vs 8 where you set fullscreen in autoexec then set windowed later. The fullscreen in autoexec persists in multiplayer but not singleplayer.

As we are dealing with multiplayer i set the step 6 autoconfig to false for fullscreen to get the server running in windowed mode.

My question is, from a dedcated server standpoint, is this consuming more resource or not?

I've noticed in fullscreen alt tabbing will crash the server. This was my main motivation for changing the OP's recommendations.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I followed these steps as closely as possible (it said to edit network.cfg and options.lua but those files did not exist in that directory, I had to create them) but the game crashes on launch.

Can you post the specs of the machine you are trying to run the server on? Specifically, what model of CPU, how much RAM and what model GPU?

They still exist in that directory as of today. Though you dont need to set option 7 and I think the gfx setting is reasonably redundant you can just launch the game and set windowed and smallest res.

If you cannot launch the game sounds like an install issue.

Is there a newer guide for 1.5.4? I followed these steps as closely as possible (it said to edit network.cfg and options.lua but those files did not exist in that directory, I had to create them) but the game crashes on launch.

Thanks!

Edited by Pikey
spelling

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have the same issue - DCS crashing on launch, something DirectX.

I'm accessing the server through RDP.

Why does a dedicated server need to launch the game anyway?

There should be a standalone EXE for dedicated server mode.

*sigh* ED?

PC HW: i5 3770k@4.6GHz | Asus 1080Ti | 16GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO | MSI MPower Z77 Input: MS FFB2 w/ F-16 FLCS grip | CH Pro Throttle | MFG Crosswind | HTC Vive DCS modules: F-14, FW-190, P-51, Bf109, UH1, Mi-8, FC3, CE2

• 2 weeks later...

That's exactly my point, why would I even need a video card for a dedicated server?

I'm accessing it through RDP.

I guess there is no CLI server, right?

PC HW: i5 3770k@4.6GHz | Asus 1080Ti | 16GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO | MSI MPower Z77 Input: MS FFB2 w/ F-16 FLCS grip | CH Pro Throttle | MFG Crosswind | HTC Vive DCS modules: F-14, FW-190, P-51, Bf109, UH1, Mi-8, FC3, CE2

• 2 months later...
Don't know what RDP or CLI is. But whatever is running the game NEEDS a DX11 graphics card capability.

Hi,

Sorry for late input on this but RDP = Windows built in REMOTE DESKTOP CONNECTION

and yes, we are able to manipulate the menu using the RDP.

We do have a graphic card on our root server, its an old 4GB NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti but it gets the job done without problems since there's only minimal graphics involved.

S!

Edited by ViFF

IAF.ViFF

http://www.preflight.us

Israel's Combat Flight Sim Community Website

• 1 month later...

For a small group of guys who are somewhat new to the world of DCS, and after recently getting everything needed to play, we were pretty disheartened to find that we now need to set up our own server to play missions or campaigns together, in 2017.

So now were are looking at getting a 2nd computer just to play with each other?

Is there a virtual server option for the US that others use? Also is there a thorough tutorial for setting this up on Youtube perhaps?

i7-4770K @3.50GHz; EVGA 1070 8GB Superclocked; 16GB Ram; MSI Z97 Gaming; two Samsung 500GB SSD's in RAID; TrackIR; 32" 2560x1440 Samsung

For a small group of guys who are somewhat new to the world of DCS, and after recently getting everything needed to play, we were pretty disheartened to find that we now need to set up our own server to play missions or campaigns together, in 2017.

So now were are looking at getting a 2nd computer just to play with each other?

Is there a virtual server option for the US that others use? Also is there a thorough tutorial for setting this up on Youtube perhaps?

Just use an old computer that one of you upgraded from. You can also set up Teamspeak or other servers for your group on the same machine.

Set it up in a basement or a corner of your house where you won't mind (preferable on a wired connection to your router) - make sure you do port-forwarding.

that we now need to set up our own server to play missions or campaigns together

Just to clarify, you don't HAVE to set up a dedicated server computer.

One of you can just host the session. The only reason to have a dedicated server

is that none of your gaming rigs have to do the AI computing, scripting and whatnot, meaning better FPS for the computer who would otherwise host the game.

If you're not planning on running large missions with loads of AI units and heavy missions scripts, you'll be fine without it.

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

I know it might be usefull for those whose want to use that unused computer as host:

I run DCS ful up-to-date (05/2017) on A standard Win7 X64, 4G Ram, 512Mb Graphic card, DirectX 9, Celeron 2 Duo, with 16 players slots with no problems! I restart server each 12 hours to assure it's funcioning because DCS likes to fill up memory with trashes.

Doing theses steps u'll not need DX11 to host!

Download and run this from my drive, safe and virus free, but you might check!

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AGp0qp4RitCgg4xU

1 - click in the "Edit List" button and add "DCS.exe", not the updater, please.

2 - On "Mute Category" group, check "Application Defined" only

3 - On "Device Settings" group:

3A - Check "Force Warp"

3B - Change Feature Level Limit to 11.

Apply > Ok and now you can Host ya DCS in a 386 computer! Hhahaa

Just to add, i'm using the "Autoexec.cfg" too, so old computer will not have problems!

It will takes time to open DCS, will takes time to load mission, but soon as mission is loaded will work robust as those "gringo" servers!

Check my server working: - rvotri something -

You guys might get an High IP, since i host in Brazil, but for people here the highest ping is 90.

Who cares...