PointCTRL - Finger Mounted VR Controller

The last function I am adding is off-screen clicking. Off-screen clicking takes advantage of the fact that the HMS field of view is greater than current VR HMDs'. Basically, it allows you to point slightly above, below, left, or right of your field of view and click to activate commands. Picture it as 16 invisible buttons persistently surrounding the perimeter of your field of view.

When Joe S. and I were talking about this he used the term radial buttons, which I thought was perfect. So unless Ratcatcher has something better, I think we can call them VRBs' "Virtual Radial Buttons" so we don't confuse them with the OSBs' of the MFDs'. Holy Crap that's a lot of acronyms.

A few examples,

To virtually press the escape key you would point just off-screen to the upper left hand corner of your FOV, when you click, the HMS send sends the ESC key. For DCS radio menu, point and click off-screen upper right corner and the radio menu comes up which you can also point and click to execute menu items. It should be intuitive for things like turning on and off chat screens, just click left of where the chat window would appear, UH1 gunner and weapons status, just click to the right of where the pop up window is. Knee board, lower right, frame counters, views, ect.

Miles

Holy cow :surprise:

Thats a cool idea!

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Hi! Discovered this thread a couple days ago and immediately found it very interesting. If I remember correctly I think I saw an estimated price tag for approximately $175. Is that correct? Does that include the camera unit and TWO FCUs?

That was indeed the price point discussed so far, and yes that includes two FCUs.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I forgot to add that we can look into adding the functionality through Lua programming of having pop up commands appear around the perimeter of the screen when you do something like, right click off screen. Maybe even highlight the text as the off screen cursor passes through there "hit zones".

Just some future thoughts,

Miles

I think MilesD has finally snapped!

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

The last function I am adding is off-screen clicking. Off-screen clicking takes advantage of the fact that the HMS field of view is greater than current VR HMDs'. Basically, it allows you to point slightly above, below, left, or right of your field of view and click to activate commands. Picture it as 16 invisible buttons persistently surrounding the perimeter of your field of view.

When Joe S. and I were talking about this he used the term radial buttons, which I thought was perfect. So unless Ratcatcher has something better, I think we can call them VRBs' "Virtual Radial Buttons" so we don't confuse them with the OSBs' of the MFDs'. Holy Crap that's a lot of acronyms.

First wanted to say WOW! Impressive additions to the design, well done that man! Its all coming together nicely!

As far as naming conventions are going, looks like the student has become the master! :) The only alternative I could come up with is PPS - Peripheral Point Selection.

Edited by Ratcatcher

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

Holy cow :surprise:

Thats a cool idea!

Yes indeed!

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Hope you’ll share!

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Hope you’ll share!

Nothing negative seemed to jump out, A minor watchdog code tweak opportunity presented itself with the hand zoom.

Los gets on here sometimes, so he will probably share his views.

Miles

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/03/10

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Just some observations from my viewpoint. So I hopped into the pit and donned the two finger controls. They are adjustable to fit different finger widths. The devices are not heavy and did not impede the normal operation of the HOTAS.

I flew an F5 free flight and an F18 CASE I recovery flight. The devices worked as advertised and I was able to use both fingers on all sides of the cockpit without issue. The mouse pointer was accurate and required no fiddle F'ing to select or manipulate switches. I was able to manipulate whatever switch I wanted immediately as if I was operating actual switches regardless of the time crunch I was under to select a feature.

Miles had added a new function since the last time I had tested. This is a zoom feature. You move your finger up to your face and this zooms in the cockpit. Then you can move or manipulate things as normal from a zoomed in view even if you reextend your finger. When you are done zooming you twist your finger right and it unzooms. It took a couple tries till I had the maneuver down pat.

I noticed no jumping or twitching of the mouse cursor. It worked well and control of the cursor passed perfectly fine between both fingers. (The one that is raised the highest controls the cursor.)

I feel that Miles has developed a fine piece of kit! I should note that this was tested on a rift. I hope to do a VIVE test ASAP. Cheers...

Los

That zoom thing sounds pretty useful.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Really looking forward to this. I certainly will buy one, just not 100% when.

Are you planning a "One time release" or will you keep some small inventory stash going for later purchases?

(I'm just in the boat of "It takes awhile to save money, and torn between these and a new joystick" as next purchase)

First Prototype for test, evaluation and feedback was shipped today:

PointCTRL Kit Includes

1 HMS - Head Mounted Sensor,

2 FCUs - Finger Control Units,

4 LiPo batteries, 2 on-board, 2 spares.

1 4 port USB charger with FCU and spare pigtail connectors, 5 Volt USB transformer not included

1 10ft USB Micro USB cable w/ 2 cable management fasteners

1ft spare FCU strap.

$175.00 USD plus shipping

Thanks,

Miles

PointCTRL_Contents.thumb.jpg.fb457d72e5def6e265f3e5c8ee83b7bc.jpg

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

PointCTRL Kit Includes

1 4 port USB charger with FCU and spare pigtail connectors, 5 Volt USB transformer not included

1ft spare FCU strap.

Thanks,

Miles

giphy.gif

Seriously, where do I send payapl? (First awesome gif post gets first set ;))

Seriously, where do I send payapl? (First awesome gif post gets first set ;))

I think I am within a week of full production. I have a list of thread participants from the thread that have shown interest in initial prototype units. I will be PMing them first before a website for purchase goes hot.

Thanks

Miles

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

I think I am within a week of full production. I have a list of thread participants from the thread that have shown interest in initial prototype units. I will be PMing them first before a website for purchase goes hot.

Thanks

Miles

Great news MilesD - looking forward to getting my hands on it!

PointCTRL Kit Includes

1ft spare FCU strap.

Thanks,

Miles

Really moving on MilesD you have stuck to your guns and produced what many here know will be the ideal complement to VR flying. I along with so many can't wait to start flying in DCS with it.

Also a thought I am sure you are already covering. Maybe a page on your site with some how-to instructions for those of us :helpsmilie: not quite the genius level. May save you many how do I email in the future.

Big thanks for all the time and work (and yet to come) you have put into your project MilesD.

Thanks

Miles

Miles,

Please add me to the list!

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

Quick question,

AS I use the Samsung Odyssey+ I don't have any base stations. that is no problem right. I believe I saw an earlier post on it.

Peter

I just found the messages regarding the Odyssey, so please ignore.

Edited by DutchCoolHand

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat