Starting single player mission in external view

Anklebiter

Hi folks. Brand spanking new to DCS world and I've got a great idea for a campaign. I've played around with the campaign builder to a certain point but haven't dipped into LUA scripting yet.

Before I jump in too deep, it will be useful to set expectations from the get go.

Quick question: for my intro I'd like to start in external view/no player control with voiceover. When voiceover complete, jump into the cockpit and give the player the reigns.

I've got the voiceover part. Is the view modification doable? Would this be a script?

Second, I read that they were going to add audio/video capability to mission briefing. It was an old post from EDH. Any idea if this is coming down the pipe?

Thanks. I hope to contribute soon.

Maybe answered my own question by looking at training mission from ED.

x:set command action at mission start. In order to find the command number:

The command ID can be obtained in the Game Options>Controls screen by hovering the mouse over the command description (left side of the screen). This functionality can be enabled in Mission Editor/Mission Editor.lua by changing the “OPTIONS_ADD_COMMAND_CODES_TO_TOOLTIP” line from “false” to “true”.

Need to test, but if works as it seems, then COOL!

My first contribution:

The verbiage in the guide isn't right. The command numbers show up when you hover over the keyboard setting on the right side of the screen, not the description on the left.

Took me a bit to figure that; maybe I saved somebody some time with this.

Hi folks. Brand spanking new to DCS world and I've got a great idea for a campaign.

Question: for my intro I'd like to start in external view/no player control with voiceover. When voiceover complete, jump into the cockpit and give the player the reigns.

I've got the voiceover part. Is the view modification doable? Would this be a script?

You could do it with the Recorded Track files intro system that is used in some missions.

An example of these are in:

1. The A-10c Introduction training mission.
  2. The Su-25t single mission - Presents.

The technique to produce a Mission with a Track intro:

I can't take credit for this as I found it on a long forgotten post but I think this will work:

TRACK PLAYBACK PRIOR TO MISSION START (MISSION INTRO)

It's now possible to create missions with a pre-recorded introduction track.

The procedure to create a mission with an intro track is as follows:

1. Create a mission with the necessary triggers, graphical and audio material.

2. Launch the mission, record the intro track and save it.

3. Create a new file, called "continue_track" with the number '1' inside. The file can be created with Notepad or other similar program. The file should have no extension.

4. Open the TRK file with your archive opener (winrar, etc.) and insert the "continue_track" file inside the "track_data" folder of the TRK archive.

5. Rename the TRK extention to MIZ.

As a result you will have a MIZ file that includes a track file inside. When the mission is launched, the track will be played back, after which the player will be handed control automatically.

Regards, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

• 8 months later...
You could do it with the Recorded Track files intro system that is used in some missions.

An example of these are in:

1. The A-10c Introduction training mission.
  2. The Su-25t single mission - Presents.

The technique to produce a Mission with a Track intro:

I can't take credit for this as I found it on a long forgotten post but I think this will work:

TRACK PLAYBACK PRIOR TO MISSION START (MISSION INTRO)

It's now possible to create missions with a pre-recorded introduction track.

The procedure to create a mission with an intro track is as follows:

1. Create a mission with the necessary triggers, graphical and audio material.

2. Launch the mission, record the intro track and save it.

3. Create a new file, called "continue_track" with the number '1' inside. The file can be created with Notepad or other similar program. The file should have no extension.

4. Open the TRK file with your archive opener (winrar, etc.) and insert the "continue_track" file inside the "track_data" folder of the TRK archive.

5. Rename the TRK extention to MIZ.

As a result you will have a MIZ file that includes a track file inside. When the mission is launched, the track will be played back, after which the player will be handed control automatically.

Regards, Ian.

Does this still work in SP only? 2.5.4.X DCS version?

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]