I have to say: I really like this aircraft

Bahger

I've been dying to try the L-39 in DCS after I was fortunate enough to fly one from the backseat over Mojave several years ago. The owner/pilot was hired to fly it as an Aggressor aircraft during various Flag events at Nellis. As you will see in the video attached, we pulled 5-G (its limit, I believe) and flew some mild aerobatics which I am hoping to replicate in the sim.

I only just bought this module. I haven't run DCS for almost four years, yet once upon a time I was a very dedicated A-10C pilot and mission designer. Only recently has a new PC (and a TM Warthog) rekindled my interest in flight simming in DCS.

So far, I love the DCS L-39 (both variants). It flies exactly as it should; under-powered, reluctant to land, lots of turbine lag...and I wouldn't want it any other way. It's a fantastically well-modeled jet trainer and even for a rusty old weekend pilot in RL, it's possible to stay ahead of it with purely stick-and-rudder competence and no FBW assists. Its very analog character is beautifully reproduced in this creation. I am going to learn to navigate it and to fly some aerobatics; not sure that I really want to fight it.

I hope you will enjoy this video and be merciful with your judgement. I am attaching it here not out of self-glorification -- far from it -- but in case it is of interest. I wonder if any of you know Dave Riggs, the PIC...

Edited by Bahger

Glad you are enjoying the experience . It is a delight to fly . Your friend was being conservative (rarely a bad idea in flight) . It is in fact rated at +8 , -4 gs at 9300 lb . It must have been a wonderful experience to fly a real one !

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

:thumbup: Thanks for the clip Bahger. The Albie is one of the best, if not the best, and the ZA can actually bring the hurt to the enemy too. She's my fave groundpounding platform in this sim truth be telt. A top job from ED this bird!

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Nice video.

Only recently has a new PC (and a TM Warthog) rekindled my interest in flight simming in DCS.

You should consider to get a head tracking solution (unless you use VR) and some rudder pedals. Both will make DCS (and any other flight sim) even more enjoyable.

Nice video.

You should consider to get a head tracking solution (unless you use VR) and some rudder pedals. Both will make DCS (and any other flight sim) even more enjoyable.

I have new Thrustmaster rudder pedals and a TrackIR that I am about to hook up again for the first time in four years. I found a way for my small office to accommodate both racing and flight sim hardware by mounting my HOTAS on my chair. I generally don’t fly the prop aircraft but I can now with rudder pedals and they will be needed for the F-14 too. I haven’t really had to lean on the rudder so far in the Albatros except for taxi, takeoff and approach/landing.

After much bouncing off the asphalt, I finally worked out how to land the ZA yesterday. Such an interesting, unusual, yet completely credible flight model. 80% thrust all the way to the threshold; how many aircraft have you ever flown (in sims or RL) that need to be landed like that? And how many aircraft have a VFE at about 20 kts above best airspeed for landing (150 KIAS)? It's wonderfully counter-intuitive, an underpowered airplane that doesn't want to stop flying once you've hauled it into the air. I think it's the most "live" a/c I've flown in a sim for a good while.

After much bouncing off the asphalt, I finally worked out how to land the ZA yesterday. Such an interesting, unusual, yet completely credible flight model. 80% thrust all the way to the threshold; how many aircraft have you ever flown (in sims or RL) that need to be landed like that? And how many aircraft have a VFE at about 20 kts above best airspeed for landing (150 KIAS)? It's wonderfully counter-intuitive, an underpowered airplane that doesn't want to stop flying once you've hauled it into the air. I think it's the most "live" a/c I've flown in a sim for a good while.

You will stumble on many people who will raise their nose when you talk to them about the L39 under the excuse that it is a "training" plane or the "jet of the poor". For most of them, you will realize that they never flown it in DCS. The more you will fly it, the more you will love it.

Wait until you start getting good at using it for ground pounding against lightly armored vehicles. It gets quite rewarding and addictive.