VR Shaders mod for better VR experience

Question on shader recompiling.

I'm getting very long startup and load times while using this.

There are messages showing up in the logs as such:

2018-12-16 16:57:09.329 ALERT   DX11BACKEND: Error: Can't find precompiled shader for effect model/def_material.fx:BLEND_MODE=0;DAMAGE_UV=tc0;DECAL_UV=tc1;DIFFUSE_UV=tc0;DIRECTX11=true;NORMAL_SIZE=3;SPECULAR_UV=tc0;TEXCOORD0_SIZE=2;TEXCOORD1_SIZE=2;USE_DCS_DEFERRED=1;.
Recompilation process will take some time, please wait
(this situation should not occur on end user PC, if there is no manual shader editing)

I removed the directory as per install instructions, but no files ever get populated back there.

Mods\terrains\Caucasus\misc\metacache\dcs

remains empty.

Is this expected behavior or do I have a problem?

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

Question on shader recompiling.

I'm getting very long startup and load times while using this.

There are messages showing up in the logs as such:

2018-12-16 16:57:09.329 ALERT   DX11BACKEND: Error: Can't find precompiled shader for effect model/def_material.fx:BLEND_MODE=0;DAMAGE_UV=tc0;DECAL_UV=tc1;DIFFUSE_UV=tc0;DIRECTX11=true;NORMAL_SIZE=3;SPECULAR_UV=tc0;TEXCOORD0_SIZE=2;TEXCOORD1_SIZE=2;USE_DCS_DEFERRED=1;.
Recompilation process will take some time, please wait
(this situation should not occur on end user PC, if there is no manual shader editing)

I removed the directory as per install instructions, but no files ever get populated back there.

Mods\terrains\Caucasus\misc\metacache\dcs

remains empty.

Is this expected behavior or do I have a problem?

that is correct.. you simply rename the folder in that location to "dcs.old"

new shaders and effects will be built in the "C:\Users\Username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\fxo" and "\metashader2" folders. takes a while the first start of DCS and the first start of the first mission... after that will start promptly every time.

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

I removed all mods before doing the recent update today. After re-installing the shaders mod (and performing the usual flush outs and "dcs" renames), I got a shaders compile error trying to launch. So I removed this mod, and the 2.5.4 version now launches just fine. The performance seems good (without the mod).

Just curious if anyone else has had an issue with this mod and 2.5.4?

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I removed all mods before doing the recent update today. After re-installing the shaders mod (and performing the usual flush outs and "dcs" renames), I got a shaders compile error trying to launch. So I removed this mod, and the 2.5.4 version now launches just fine. The performance seems good (without the mod).

Just curious if anyone else has had an issue with this mod and 2.5.4?

Yep, same exact thing for me.

DISCLAIMER: I have no idea what I'm doing. However, between DCS' error reporting and my limited skillset, I got his mod working again for me. I've only attached the two files I changed because I don't have any permission from the Mod's creator.

There were 2 files in Kegetys' Mod throwing errors for me this morning. The first was:

Bazar/shaders/deferred/ToneMap.fx

ToneMap.fx needed a thresholdMap function defined. I found such a function in Bazar/shaders/deferred/bloom.fx so I copied that function into Kegetys' ToneMap.fx.

The second, after 'fixing' the first, was:

Bazar/shaders/model/functions/glass.hlsl

glass.hlsl needed a third argument for the 'getAORMS()' function. I gave it a third argument (mp.decalMask).

Find the two files attached. Just overwrite the ones in the existing mod.

I make no guarantees as to the effect but I welcome hearing what this did for anybody (as well as helpful info about what I just did, what it means, etc... you know, learning!)

KegetysVR_254.zip

DISCLAIMER: I have no idea what I'm doing. However, between DCS' error reporting and my limited skillset, I got his mod working again for me. I've only attached the two files I changed because I don't have any permission from the Mod's creator.

There were 2 files in Kegetys' Mod throwing errors for me this morning. The first was:

Bazar/shaders/deferred/ToneMap.fx

ToneMap.fx needed a thresholdMap function defined. I found such a function in Bazar/shaders/deferred/bloom.fx so I copied that function into Kegetys' ToneMap.fx.

The second, after 'fixing' the first, was:

Bazar/shaders/model/functions/glass.hlsl

glass.hlsl needed a third argument for the 'getAORMS()' function. I gave it a third argument (mp.decalMask).

I make no guarantees as to the effect but I welcome hearing what this did for anybody (as well as helpful info about what I just did, what it means, etc... you know, learning!)

I've applied your 2 edited files, and can confirm I'm able to apply the entire mod. (fxo & metashaders2 removal, and the "dcs" removals from the terrain files, etc. essentially the shader mods drill...).

works great. I'm also not seeing the one eye flicker either. I used the F/A-18 launch from the carrier, (instant action). So there was plenty of water, and no flickers...

will try some more later tonight, going out to dinner.

thanks kojdog!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Can confirm it works again, thank you.

Is it this error message everyone is getting?

Untitled.jpg.f6d0dfb083ca6f1c6e242557b8ddfef5.jpg

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Ditto, but performance is not as good as when the shader mod is implemented imo.

I agree with that. The mod is not as useful as usual this time around. In fact, I would say I am getting a worse performance all round in VR with 2.5.4.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

The fix above works, unfortunately it trips IC if you put the Model>Glass.hsl file in to the IC Complaint pack, so just a heads up for the MP guys...you'll need to leave that one out.

Thanks koj!

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I did try it without any mods and I think I am going to roll back to the last update. Performance in VR is worse regardless of the mod working or not. Mostly because I dont see anything in this update that positively impacted anything I do.

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

I updated the mod on the first post for DCS version 2.5.4.25729 compatibility.

gracias buddy!

I did try it without any mods and I think I am going to roll back to the last update. Performance in VR is worse regardless of the mod working or not. Mostly because I dont see anything in this update that positively impacted anything I do.

Performance is worse for me as well, kind of stinks. I guess we get to just keep waiting on the improvements Wags likes to mention in interviews

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Mod Visual Bug and Solution

If you compare the two screenshots below, one is with the full application of Kegetys' Mod + his RBG Mod; The second shot is taken with a number of his modifications removed (but some of the biggest performance impacting ones left intact). The particular mission is the Instant Action for Yak-52 on Persian Gulf called Sandstorm Landing.

If you:

• remove the 'Bazar/shaders/enlight' folder
  • in 'Bazar/shaders/deferred/', remove all but _HMD.hlsl, Compose.fx, and GBuffer.hlsl

you will achieve this result.

My framerate locks at 45fps either way so I'm not sure how to compare performance. I can say, that the glass.hlsl and _HMD.hlsl mask are both some of the most important improvements of this mod and have very little visual impact.

You should also try his RBG mod (see his site in his sig).

Thanks Kegetys!

Kegetys_Full.thumb.png.5a9b117260d7cf4b1b36ddfe47b690dd.png

Kegetys_Lite.thumb.png.994ddc2ca26edcfd6c9f7638b2c0156c.png

If you compare the two screenshots below, one is with the full application of Kegetys' Mod + his RBG Mod; The second shot is taken with a number of his modifications removed (but some of the biggest performance impacting ones left intact). The particular mission is the Instant Action for Yak-52 on Persian Gulf called Sandstorm Landing.

If you:

• remove the 'Bazar/shaders/enlight' folder
  • in 'Bazar/shaders/deferred/', remove all but _HMD.hlsl, Compose.fx, and GBuffer.hlsl

you will achieve this result.

My framerate locks at 45fps either way so I'm not sure how to compare performance. I can say, that the glass.hlsl and _HMD.hlsl mask are both some of the most important improvements of this mod and have very little visual impact.

You should also try his RBG mod (see his site in his sig).

Thanks Kegetys!

I'm confused. What are we supposed to get from those screenshots, especially the first one?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I'm confused. What are we supposed to get from those screenshots, especially the first one?

If you use his mod, and run a map with fog or haze effects, your screen may end up looking like the first screenshot. You can try this yourself in the previously mentioned Yak-52 Sandstorm Landing, the Mi-8 PG Cold Start, or by experimenting in the mission editor.

Kegetys is well aware that his mods may introduce visual defects. This is a hybrid alternative that somebody has already explored for you. By removing some of his mod, you get most of the benefit without the bug that makes some missions unflyable.

Edited by kojdog
Decency

If you use his mod, and run a map with fog or haze effects, your screen may end up looking like the first screenshot. You can try this yourself in the previously mentioned Yak-52 Sandstorm Landing, the Mi-8 PG Cold Start, or by experimenting in the mission editor.

Kegetys is well aware that his mods may introduce visual defects. What YOU’RE ‘supposed to get out of it’ is a hybrid alternative that somebody has already explored for you. By removing some of his mod, you get most of the benefit without the bug that makes some missions unflyable.

Obviously this isn’t for you then.

There really is no call for rudeness, when I was simply asking for clarification of what your post was about. I had never seen the effect you describe, so it wasn't at all clear what was going on.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.