1 Nov 1943

Battle of Empress Augusta Bay

1-2 Nov 1943

Battle of Cape St. George

26 Nov 1943

Solomon_Islands_Campaign.jpg

Bowie

• Like 9

I couldn't possibly agree with this "Wish" more!! :thumbup: I believe that the campaign in the Solomons, from Guadalcanal to Bouganville represents a tremendous opportunity for ED to provide a battle ground map that would allow for carrier vs. carrier battles as well as fierce air to air combat throughout the island chain, not to mention the air to ground/sea combat that took place almost continuously from the first day of coming ashore on Guadalcanal until we were done with Bouganville. And the Corsair played a significant part in that campaign. The aerial opponents there were almost exclusively IJN

If ED wanted to shift further West, they could do New Guinea and produce a Razorback Jug for that :thumbup: The aerial opponents there were almost exclusively IJA.

• Like 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I couldn't possibly agree with this "Wish" more!! :thumbup: I believe that the campaign in the Solomons, from Guadalcanal to Bouganville represents a tremendous opportunity for ED to provide a battle ground map that would allow for carrier vs. carrier battles as well as fierce air to air combat throughout the island chain, not to mention the air to ground/sea combat that took place almost continuously from the first day of coming ashore on Guadalcanal until we were done with Bouganville. And the Corsair played a significant part in that campaign. The aerial opponents there were almost exclusively IJN

If ED wanted to shift further West, they could do New Guinea and produce a Razorback Jug for that :thumbup: The aerial opponents there were almost exclusively IJA.

There is so much there, in that confined space, for a little over a year's fighting.

5104c8e8a0219.jpg

Spent a decade there w/ CFS2.

Bowie

Edited by Bowie

Would love it too, along with "Whistling Death..." :-)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If ED were going to cover the whole archipelago it’d require a map of around 1k x 2k km. lots of it would be water though.

For comparison

NTTR 605 x 605 km

Normandy 267 x 348 km

Strait of Hormuz 550 by 550 km

Georgia 500 x 500 km

TFC have a late model F4F and various flavours of P40 to hand. I can see both of these arriving sooner rather than later.

Edited by Mogster

The total land area of the Solomon Islands archipelago is below 40.000 km², that's a 200 x 200 km square. Even today most of it is just covered with jungles and scattered small villages, even more so during WW2. It no comparison too any of the current maps in DCS, that all include some urban agglomerations.

3 hours ago, Cunctator said:

The total land area of the Solomon Islands archipelago is below 40.000 km², that's a 200 x 200 km square. Even today most of it is just covered with jungles and scattered small villages, even more so during WW2. It no comparison too any of the current maps in DCS, that all include some urban agglomerations.

Yes, I did assume that most of the islands would be covered with jungle but wasn’t 100% sure.  

It would make a spectacular and very useful map.

Indeed. I hope we will see many more Pacific islands maps in the future. Once ED has created a basic set of 3D models for vegetation and WW2 airfield buildings they should be able to to them with considerable less effort than the other DCS maps we've got so far.

Man I would absolutely LOVE this map!

Question: I've done a little scenery-building for FSX / P3d... is there any way for users to create freeware sceneries / maps for DCS?  Would be a fun community project to divide up the archipelago...  most of the map would be water or jungle, as noted.  I'm certain it wouldn't be payware (or ED-created freeware) quality, but might be interesting...

7 hours ago, Stearmandriver said:

Man I would absolutely LOVE this map!

Question: I've done a little scenery-building for FSX / P3d... is there any way for users to create freeware sceneries / maps for DCS?  Would be a fun community project to divide up the archipelago...  most of the map would be water or jungle, as noted.  I'm certain it wouldn't be payware (or ED-created freeware) quality, but might be interesting...

User made maps aren’t possible currently.

Edited by Mogster
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

I would LOVE to see a Solomon Islands map!

And also F4U-1 and F4U-1A versions of the upcoming F4U-1D.

• Like 1

Happy flying!

ASUS Z170I PRO GAMING | CORE I7 6700K 4.2GHZ | 32GB DDR4 2400MHZ | GEFORCE GTX980Ti 6GB | SAMSUNG 950 Pro M.2 512 GB + MICRON M600 1TB SSD + WD 3TB HD | WIN 10 64BIT

• 1 month later...
On 1/19/2021 at 7:05 AM, Motown said:

StripMap.jpg

I strenuously 'second' this motion....

Awesome strip map, from Banika, w/ details of the usual suspects.

Great F4U contribution.

Thanks for posting.

Bowie

• Like 3