Big smoke / fire etc - do they burn forever ?

Johnny_Rico

Just curious about these ?

Anyone used them before ? and if so how long do they last, is it forever ?

https://wiki.hoggitworld.com/view/DCS_func_effectSmokeBig

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

thanks for replying, was hoping they at least had a burn time

we should maybe post a freature request

add a time parameter to the function call it would be the amount of seconds for it to burn for

• 2 weeks later...
thanks for replying, was hoping they at least had a burn time

we should maybe post a freature request

add a time parameter to the function call it would be the amount of seconds for it to burn for

The way I solved this was through the use of flags, and time since flag.

For example, if I target say a power plant, and destroy it, it triggers a flag. Upon flag true, I activate the smoke. Then I do a time since flag, and deactivate the smoke, and repeat the process for a smaller smoke; thus creating a smaller smoke to give the impression of the smoke/fire dying down. Eventually another time since flag to eliminate the smoke entirely. It's been quite some time since I did this, and with things constantly changing, not sure if the process still works.

The way I solved this was through the use of flags, and time since flag.

For example, if I target say a power plant, and destroy it, it triggers a flag. Upon flag true, I activate the smoke. Then I do a time since flag, and deactivate the smoke, and repeat the process for a smaller smoke; thus creating a smaller smoke to give the impression of the smoke/fire dying down. Eventually another time since flag to eliminate the smoke entirely. It's been quite some time since I did this, and with things constantly changing, not sure if the process still works.

which type of smoke are you using and do you have a mission you could share showing how you did this please ?

@ Jonny_Rico, well, I no longer have the mission in question, and after trying to quickly throw one together I realize why. Suntag is correct, there's no way to turn them off (not sure now what I was thinking).

However, you can make the object burn for a period of time by making said object explode over and over again. The average smoke and flames lasts for about 80 seconds, so you can have the object explode every 75 seconds, and adjust the size of the explosion to get the effect you want. Problem with this method is, it can make for a lengthy trigger list if you want to have said object burn for a lengthy period of time.

I also meant to say that the smoke effects are rather impressive. I made a campaign of sorts for some friends and I. In the first mission we departed early one morning to destroy a naval base. I used the smoke effects to make its destruction more impressive. In the second mission we perform CAP about 30 miles from the shoreline later the same day, and I used the smoke effects to give the impression that the facilities were still burning.